Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

Got a tune, Raced a co-workers motorcycle.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 05:21 AM
302army187
6th Gear Member

Default Got a tune, Raced a co-workers motorcycle.

CLIFF NOTES:

-Raced a co-worker's motorcycle

-beat it but 5-7+ lengths with quick 20-70mph races

-find out later the motorcycle is a mid 14 second bike.

-lulz ensue.

Finally got my car tuned, made more power then expected. A lot of people told me I wouldn't hit 300rwhp, that I would be around 290.
on a lean tune it made 321rwhp and 337trq
on the "safe" tune 314rwhp and 328trq
this is after the 10th dyno run, motor hot as hell, and 92 degrees at the time. so the car has 325-330rwhp in it.

check this recent thread I made for a total story on the dyno, with video
https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l...nd-dynoed.html

So I drove the car to work yesterday. I have not taken the car to work in about eight months because I was working on it for almost four months when I pulled the motor and such, and then once I got it running, it just seemed pointless, as the car is not supposed to be a daily driver. but since the tune went so well, I wanted to see how the car acted in a "every day" type of drive, instead of me just beating the **** out of it.

Anyway, I had been talking smack to a co working for a while. He talk's up this old motorcycle like its quick. talking about people trying to race him.

Mind you, the bike is a 1989 Suzuki GS500. 500cc, side by side twin. Make 52hp and 30trq, bike is about 380-400lbs, my co worker about 200-220lb's
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_GS500

and he is 55yr's old, but acts a 1/4 of his age, haha.

anyway, so I took him for a ride in the car before the tune, and when he wasn't paying attention stabed the throttle in first and second, and he about broke my passenger seat with how hard he was slammed into it.

anyway, im rambling.

I talked enough smack to get him to line up with me after work, told him to try and keep up right before leaving work. 3 race's, all from a slow roll.

first race was me in 2nd gear, low RPM's, no honk's or anything, but he was behind me, and flipped over into the other lane, trying to zip by me, by time I noticed he was about to my rear tire, I had just shifted into second gear, going about 15-20mph.

I stabbed the throttle, at a bad spot in 2nd gear, but with the 4.10's it run's up into the powerband quick, and I shut down his pull, pull about 1-2 car lengths on him just to the top of second, shift kinda slow to third, let out around 4500-5k rpms, and he is a good 5+ lengths back. doing 60-70mph in a 35-40mph zone

second was just about the same thing as the first. but this time with us hitting it about the same time he was atleast 7 lenths back.

third race was me in first from about 5mph, smoked all of first, shifted a little to quick and hard on regular street tires, and lit up second gear. he was still about 4-5 lengths back, but It would have been much worse If i didn't goof it up.

I thought he would keep up better. Just thought it was because hes a old man and doesn't know how to shift a bike. then looking up the 1/4 mile times, I find a GS500 run's a mid 14 second 1/4 mile.........

(not to mention the bike is 20years old and with the rider on it would probably run mid 15's............ or slower)

where my car would be mid/low 12's. even on the current street rubber thats on the rear, i could still pull off a low 13 second pass spinning all of first and second.

he was a sport about it. I was ribbing him and said "told you that bike couldn't keep up with this car" and he said "WELL DUUUUHHH!!" all exaggerated, lol

So to make him feel better I told him it kept up well, considering I have more money into the motor of my car alone then he has in his entire motorcycle.
(he payed $1,200 for it, and has another $800 in fixes in it)

I know its a ****ty race, slow *** bike, and I went way over board typing out the story. Just trying to show off the tune, and I'm just VERY VERY happy to have my car finally running right, making more power then expected, and being able to enjoy it for the first time in a while without worrying about a bunch of junk. Car hasn't run right since I got done with the head/cam swap, so im happy now

thanks for reading!

Last edited by 302army187; 07-05-2010 at 05:40 AM. Reason: fixing trq numbers
Old 07-04-2010, 12:20 PM
Force4
3rd Gear Member

I get killed by rockets... but motorcycles dont ever seem to be a challenge... :P nice kill
Old 07-04-2010, 12:25 PM
98LS1
6th Gear Member

You would have been 10+ out on him if you didn't have a heavy *** vert.

for srs

Old 07-04-2010, 01:19 PM
Morbid Intentions
Wash Rinse Repeat

damn, just a little bit faster than a ninja 250 lol

it's amazing how far these motorcycles have come now that the 600's are trapping 130+MPH

any motorcycle kill is a good kill IMO.... figure even the slowest harley is still about as fast as an LT1 F-body or new edge GT from the line (883CC sportster)

maybe it's just the persona a bike gives off... but I still think it's bragging rights regardless of what it's actually capable of

Last edited by Morbid Intentions; 07-04-2010 at 01:22 PM.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:01 PM
BigAndrew
1st Gear Member

Lmao... I know my bike wouldnt beat your car but i bet it would sure as hell beat his little 500cc pos

With motorcycles you just feel like your going alot faster then what you are

Last edited by BigAndrew; 07-04-2010 at 08:06 PM.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:57 PM
acarzt
4th Gear Member

Stayed right next to some bike from 60-140. lol That was pretty exciting... Good way to wake yourself up at 3am lol
Old 07-05-2010, 05:39 AM
302army187
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Force4
I get killed by rockets... but motorcycles dont ever seem to be a challenge... :P nice kill
lol rockets? wtf

hows the turbo build coming?

Originally Posted by 98LS1
You would have been 10+ out on him if you didn't have a heavy *** vert.

for srs

lol, a 3,155 pound convertible (without driver, 1/4 tank of gas) is pretty light in my book there hoss. considering my weight reduction is minimal other then the heads, emissions and a/c delete.

Originally Posted by Morbid Intentions
damn, just a little bit faster than a ninja 250 lol

it's amazing how far these motorcycles have come now that the 600's are trapping 130+MPH

any motorcycle kill is a good kill IMO.... figure even the slowest harley is still about as fast as an LT1 F-body or new edge GT from the line (883CC sportster)

maybe it's just the persona a bike gives off... but I still think it's bragging rights regardless of what it's actually capable of
yea, i thought it was a faster bike. I owned a 2006 kawasaki EX500 as my first bike, and they are mid/high 13 second bikes. I just thought he would keep up better. If we would have kept going up to 100+ (well top of 4th for me is 110-115mph) it would have been like 5+ bus lengths.

Originally Posted by BigAndrew
Lmao... I know my bike wouldnt beat your car but i bet it would sure as hell beat his little 500cc pos

With motorcycles you just feel like your going alot faster then what you are
yea, the EX500 I had is actually much faster then the bike he has. I looked up the 1/4 mile times, and the EX500 is a mid/high 13 second bike, and his suzuki 500 is a mid 14 second bike.

I have no clue what that huge boat of a motorcycle you have would run though, lol. He has raced a few trucks and stuff, so he thought his bike was quick. I think he got woken up by how bad I beat him. 5-7 lengths just in a gear and a half for me is pretty much RAPE. If we would have went up to 110 or so, he would be a tiny speck in my mirror.

Originally Posted by acarzt
Stayed right next to some bike from 60-140. lol That was pretty exciting... Good way to wake yourself up at 3am lol
I've raced a few bikes, I've only beat 3 total. the first one in the mustang was the funnest, back when It was making 215hp.

it was this old POS bike, no clue what type, as this giant fat *** guy, had to be 400+ lbs was on it. that thing was so damn slow it was sad, and it looked like a manatee riding a bicycle, lmao

Last edited by 302army187; 07-05-2010 at 05:45 AM.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:49 AM
BigAndrew
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 302army187
lol rockets? wtf
rockets as in crotch rockets

I have no clue what that huge boat of a motorcycle you have would run though, lol.
lol i looked it up before, i dont remember, It has 86hp and weighs 750lbs

it was this old POS bike, no clue what type, as this giant fat *** guy, had to be 400+ lbs was on it. that thing was so damn slow it was sad, and it looked like a manatee riding a bicycle, lmao
Lmao..
Old 07-05-2010, 01:00 PM
Morbid Intentions
Wash Rinse Repeat

yea, i thought it was a faster bike. I owned a 2006 kawasaki EX500 as my first bike, and they are mid/high 13 second bikes. I just thought he would keep up better. If we would have kept going up to 100+ (well top of 4th for me is 110-115mph) it would have been like 5+ bus lengths.
the key to this is the fact his Suzuki is an air cooled 2V per cylinder twin and your EX was a liquid cooled 4V per cylinder twin... the 2V's hate anything above 50MPH and start to act like they hit a brick wall compared to their 1st and 2nd gears

the 4V's like you had hold onto the high RPM... and while they still steam off up high they still stay in a sweet spot through all of their gears and pull 500% better at highway speeds

and on a bike... the high RPM is king for speed because it takes next to nothing to take off down low due to the weight anyways
Old 07-06-2010, 04:28 AM
302army187
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BigAndrew

lol i looked it up before, i dont remember, It has 86hp and weighs 750lbs
well for some more usless numbers.

my hp to weight ratio is 9.01 by my math, for his bike was 12.1, for yours is 12.7

so your bike is slower then his. Take in effect for age and such, and your bike would run mid/low 15's more then likely.

so my car would also rape your bike. Even at my elevation, im pulling off better times then your bike would in florida.

Originally Posted by Morbid Intentions
the key to this is the fact his Suzuki is an air cooled 2V per cylinder twin and your EX was a liquid cooled 4V per cylinder twin... the 2V's hate anything above 50MPH and start to act like they hit a brick wall compared to their 1st and 2nd gears

the 4V's like you had hold onto the high RPM... and while they still steam off up high they still stay in a sweet spot through all of their gears and pull 500% better at highway speeds

and on a bike... the high RPM is king for speed because it takes next to nothing to take off down low due to the weight anyways

good point, did not reolize the suzuki is a 2v and the kawasaki was a 4v. The ex500 I had was alright up to 90mph or so, but after that was pitiful. I was pretty bored of the power of the bike in about three months, but I still rode the **** out of it. For a baseline bike, it handled pretty well, I was able to scrape the mid part of the exhaust pipe on the ground, and with the puny 130mm tires, I was always finding the edge of them, and having to really hang off the thing to work with them

Quick Reply: Got a tune, Raced a co-workers motorcycle.