Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

Ran a newer WRX

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 05:31 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Default Ran a newer WRX

I don't know if it was an 09+, or one of the slower 08 models, but he had it looking exactly like a new STI minus the STI badging. He had the quad exhaust, big fenders, everything. Sounded pretty quiet though. He was behind me coming out of downtown and slowly worked his way around me through traffic. I stayed behind him hoping to catch a light, and we did. I pulled up next to him and he looked over and complimented my exhaust note. I said thanks and asked him if he wanted to do a quick run. He said, "works for me." Well, the light turned green and we were still talking, and holding up traffic, so I asked him if he was ready and he said yea, but lets roll it out to 10mph and take off. Why he wanted to ditch his AWD advantage is beyond me, but whatever. Maybe he was afraid of breaking and axle or something, idk. So we roll on to 10-15 mph and I yell GO, and we're both off. I was holding 1st, so my SS didn't hesitate, it just squatted and went. He seemed to have some lag and instantly fell back to my rear bumper and then a couple more feet until I hit second. My Blazer is tuned to shift hard under WOT, so when I hit 2nd I put damn near another car on him just from the shift. I shut it down at 80 mph with him a pretty good ways back. At least a bus. I can definitely tell you guys that this guy was a half *** driver. I'm assuming that he was anyway because I thought those cars ran a little better than that. At any rate, he honked his horn and threw me a wave when I turned off on my street. Nice guy, but needs to man up and launch that WRX.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:40 PM
gears94gt
3rd Gear Member

good kill stone, looks like your car is running strong. i heard subi's suffer from a weak tranny, anyhow you would have kill him.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:52 PM
97tplsGT
4th Gear Member

I know nothing about those Subies.... but it sounded fun anyways!
Old 05-15-2011, 07:01 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Good run Stone... That TB's seems like it's working out preety good for you. Future plans???
Old 05-15-2011, 07:13 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

imo you shouldn't of beet it at all if it was a real sti. the sti's dont have weak trannies just the wrx's do, or atleast the wrx's used to maybe the new ones are stronger. but a real sti should have ran you down pretty quick. good race tho a kill is a kill .
Old 05-15-2011, 09:05 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Oh no, it was definitely just a WRX, not an STI. He just had a bunch of STI appearance parts slapped on it to make it look more aggressive. IMO, if he had of launched it properly, he would've at least stayed beside me, if not put a car on me from the start. I don't think he would've pulled any after that, but still. I'll say this too, my TBSS traps pretty low in the 1/4, but imo its because 2nd and 3rd are way too far apart. Once I get reved back up in 3rd, it commences to pulling pretty good.

Soldier, I'm planning on doing electric fans (running an old school clutch fan now), and some 4.56 gears to help offset the 20s. I hope it'll run a 13.2 at least with those two mods. Once/if the tranny goes, I'm going to have it built and stall it.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:24 AM
LostBoyz
4th Gear Member

the wrx would still be slightly faster than an sti when drag racing, wrx has a 5 speed and sti has a 6, stock wrx makes 285, sti makes 305. Less shifting = faster times. A road course on the other hand the sti would win hands down with the better brakes ad dcct to adjust power distribution.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:42 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stone629
Oh no, it was definitely just a WRX, not an STI. He just had a bunch of STI appearance parts slapped on it to make it look more aggressive. IMO, if he had of launched it properly, he would've at least stayed beside me, if not put a car on me from the start. I don't think he would've pulled any after that, but still. I'll say this too, my TBSS traps pretty low in the 1/4, but imo its because 2nd and 3rd are way too far apart. Once I get reved back up in 3rd, it commences to pulling pretty good.

Soldier, I'm planning on doing electric fans (running an old school clutch fan now), and some 4.56 gears to help offset the 20s. I hope it'll run a 13.2 at least with those two mods. Once/if the tranny goes, I'm going to have it built and stall it.
makes sense now. i thought it was an sti. lemme know when you go on a roadtrip to michigan I'd love a race . haha.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:04 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ctgreddy
makes sense now. i thought it was an sti. lemme know when you go on a roadtrip to michigan I'd love a race . haha.
Would love to run ya man, but only from a dig! Ought to be a good run.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:46 AM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

Nice kill! WRX or WRX STI, not much difference if any for the current gen. Either way, they barely trap over a 100mph stock. I'd say its a drivers race against your big rig until speeds get well over 100mph and your TBSS becomes a wall. Also, if I were him I'd be afraid to launch that thing hard, not only that but I'm sure its pretty difficult to do without bogging.

Quick Reply: Ran a newer WRX