Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

3.7 goes down....

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 07:29 PM
97tplsGT
4th Gear Member

Default 3.7 goes down....

Well, got my "first" loss in the '12 yesterday, and in good fashion too.

So, I see a real clean NE gt cruising ahead of me, so I give chase. After stalking him for a couple of miles, we line up. From about a 45-50 roll, no honks, I tap the gas, I guess to let'em know "lets do it". He took that as "GO" lol, and gets the initial hit. Instant car on me, hit 3rd, and he pulls 2 more through that gear, up to about 105-110.

Needless to say, I was surprised and dissapointed, lol. But, come to find, it's basically a full bolton car, 3.73's, and LT's. He was by himself, I had a rider with me. So, even if I was by myself, it'd been a loss, just not so bad. But, I felt a little better after knowing everything he had in it. I've been against 4 NE's now, and thats the first one that got me.

Now, fwiw, and Im not fishing for excuses here, I lost, and wouldve..... but how much difference would the 5-8lbs per wheel make? Thats guestimated difference between the stocker 17's and stocker 18's. I swear I can "feel" the difference, even before the run (). But Im just wondering (not making excuses by ANY means)

That said, I don't care if they weighed 20lbs more apiece, I'll take the looks anyday
Old 08-15-2011, 08:03 PM
Morbid Intentions
Wash Rinse Repeat

You should have pulled next to him and been like,

"I GOT SIX REASONS WHY YOUR CAR SUCKS!"

then pull this out

and unload

that way technically it would count as a win... I mean, kind of hard to get beat by a dead guy amirite?

on a serious note, nice loss xD
Old 08-15-2011, 08:11 PM
97tplsGT
4th Gear Member

Nah, Ive shot one of those things, def a double fister.... THEN I woulda careened (sp) across the median headon into oncoming traffic.... then it'd be a double death

Lol, thanks man. It was an honorable death I reckon. I mean, mod for mod, I can't complain. His LT's def did more for his performance than my badges did for mine

Oddly enough, I pulled back beside him, smiled, gave a thumbs up, then held up 6 fingers and said "itsa six".... then he points at his 'Bottle Fed' sticker in his little window. Dunno what that was all about. He's only sprayin a 75shot I think, but that wouldve made it bus lengths....
Old 08-15-2011, 08:15 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Good run man. Unsprung weight, especially wheels make a big difference. I'd say between the jump he got and they heavier rims, it cost you 1.5-2 cars. It's worth it though man, those wheels looking ten times better than the stockers. Just throw a 3.73 gear in it, tune it, and pull a car ahead of that same GT you ran today
Old 08-15-2011, 08:16 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

So he didn't spray then? I wonder how you would've done with gears and full bolt ons. Either way it's an acceptable loss.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:27 PM
97tplsGT
4th Gear Member

His "jump" was really my fault, we were already geared down, i shoulda just honked'em off and went, not give him the notion that I was jumping, lol. I got back on it quick enough to where it only amounted to a 1/4 car or so. Im thinking the rider had more to do with it then anything.

As for the wheels, Im going back to the track Friday, hopefully, so that should tell the story. But hopefully, the slightly wider tire will lemme get the 60 down a touch more, and keep me around the same times.

And he told me he didnt spray, and my brother, who knows him personally, texted him and asked.... he said the bottle was off and almost empty. Im pretty positive he didn't need the juice to supply the outcome.

From what Ive seen, cai/tune/geared/LT 3.7's are putting down in the 290ish range, so add in the better gearing, I believe it woulda been a tad bit different

BTW, thanks again for the compliment Stone. Me and my dad both did the ol "lift and compare" test when swapping the wheels, and the conclusion was about 5lbs difference. PLENTY worth it IMO. I never got the 'rental car' label of the stocker wheels outta my head lol
Old 08-15-2011, 08:40 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Wow, 290's with just full bolt ons and tune is impressive. What does a 3.7 coupe weigh?
Old 08-15-2011, 08:44 PM
97tplsGT
4th Gear Member

Ive been trying to find the weights of the wheels, and upon looking for those (to no avail), I've been seeing high-3400lbs, curb weight, listed on the websites. Cant find a scale around my parts to get some real numbers though.

Edit: I guess thats considered full boltons, since thats really all thats offered motor-wise for the 3.7 right now. It'll be a LONG while before I get to the LT route, they're like 600+ bucks! I'm probably gonna start with tune/3.73's, but we'll see
Old 08-15-2011, 08:53 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

I'd be really curious to see how a full bolt on 3.7 would do against a full bolt on new edge gt. 290 rwhp vs 260 rwhp, and 3250 lbs vs 3450 lbs...might be interesting!

I know when my bro was at 300 rwhp in his 06 gt, and i was at 269 rwhp before my cams, we were practically a dead nuts race from a roll. Plus he had 4.10's as well.

Last edited by mrtstang; 08-15-2011 at 08:56 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:01 PM
REDBOSS1
3rd Gear Member

Happens to everybody at some point, I noticed you got a Boss steering wheel, I didn't like it at first, I think I had to break that suede or whatever it is in.

Quick Reply: 3.7 goes down....