Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

Short run with 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 07:29 PM
Kerns
4th Gear Member

Toyo R888 would be a good balanced tire. Will give you great traction for straight line and they still have a stiff side wall.
Old 11-16-2013, 11:50 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by okbfd
I know this has been posted ad nauseum, but, for a car that I will only take to the track a limited number of times a year because I really can't afford to break it with really hard launches, what would be best for suspension upgrades to put power to the pavement......and with 20s all the way around it looks like DR options are kind of limited. I am in a new ballpark with this car. Yes I have been running people for close to 40 years, but............

Right now it has Toyo Proxy 4s all the way around with 295/30/20s on back and 255/35/20s up front. The builder says they are really sticky for road courses and the handling is awesome. It seems like you have to set up a car for either a straight line or twistys. What is a nice balance?
This is a great setup right here.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/s197...g-package.html

It works well in the corners, and it still has good straight line traction. If a person was MORE interested in drag launches and less interested in sitting low, they could go with our UPR Drag Springs. The drag springs work GREAT (1.35 60-foot time on our 2010 GT on drag radials) but they are close to stock ride height.

Originally Posted by Kerns
Toyo R888 would be a good balanced tire. Will give you great traction for straight line and they still have a stiff side wall.
^^Yup. I'm looking at a pair of 315/30-20 R888s for my 2011.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:51 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

I cut a 1.56 in my sixty foot time with stock springs and Koni adjustables. If u wanna race why not go to the strip with DRs that you know what your car can do
Old 11-17-2013, 10:09 AM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

I've been looking into a set of Drag radials for the wifes Camaro. Keep and eye out for deals on ebay. I wouldn't change the suspension unless you plan to do a ton of drag racing. My Mustang feels like it would flip over if I tried to hit a curve. Something to be said for good handling.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:41 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bluebeastsrt
I've been looking into a set of Drag radials for the wifes Camaro. Keep and eye out for deals on ebay. I wouldn't change the suspension unless you plan to do a ton of drag racing. My Mustang feels like it would flip over if I tried to hit a curve. Something to be said for good handling.
I know exactly what you're saying. My SS has poor handling too. Sucker tracks the grooves in the highway, floats, body rolls around turns, etc. Don't even get me started on the brakes. I wish I knew exactly what all to do to keep the launch capabilities, but have some decent (at least safe) handling. Suspension is one of those areas I've never experimented enough with to really know what is best.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:27 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

A Mustang can be made to handle pretty well but still hook in a straight line.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:58 AM
S8ER01Z
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stone629
I know exactly what you're saying. My SS has poor handling too. Sucker tracks the grooves in the highway, floats, body rolls around turns, etc. Don't even get me started on the brakes. I wish I knew exactly what all to do to keep the launch capabilities, but have some decent (at least safe) handling. Suspension is one of those areas I've never experimented enough with to really know what is best.
I run 245 width tires.... so tracking isn't really bad on mine. (the wifes trailblazer seems to track about the same with it's 245 width tires)...

As far as handling goes I slapped a set of 1LE springs on the car and it was night and day. A few minor suspension upgrades on an f-body goes a long ways.

What are you running for rotors/pads? My understanding is f-body brakes were barely enough and just to get by you should upgrade the rotors and pads. I've personally witnessed guys running at Road America with pads/rotors and having no issues... I have been planning on upgrading to the C5Z brakes/rotors at some point though... seems like the car was built for a V6 sometimes... riding in almost anything newer is shocking as even a heavy *** SRT8 Charger can come to a stop with seemingly less effort than I can.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:41 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by S8ER01Z
I run 245 width tires.... so tracking isn't really bad on mine. (the wifes trailblazer seems to track about the same with it's 245 width tires)...

As far as handling goes I slapped a set of 1LE springs on the car and it was night and day. A few minor suspension upgrades on an f-body goes a long ways.

What are you running for rotors/pads? My understanding is f-body brakes were barely enough and just to get by you should upgrade the rotors and pads. I've personally witnessed guys running at Road America with pads/rotors and having no issues... I have been planning on upgrading to the C5Z brakes/rotors at some point though... seems like the car was built for a V6 sometimes... riding in almost anything newer is shocking as even a heavy *** SRT8 Charger can come to a stop with seemingly less effort than I can.
Where did you get your 1LEs from?

I'm running stock rotors/pads. Just replaced both with OEM grade stuff a month or so ago and the front end is already shaking while braking. 2-3 passes on the track is all it seems to take to warp them. The wife's TBSS feels like it would run circles around it in the handling braking department, prob wouldn't in reality but it sure does feel that way. I wonder if something as simple as a really nice set of pads, Hawk pads maybe, and springs/shocks would do the trick. My shocks are pretty spongy too. I can push down on the back of the car and get about 3 inches of vertical movement out of it.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:28 AM
S8ER01Z
6th Gear Member

I picked them up from my local forum for 50.00.

I also run ceramic pads and these...
http://bestbrakes.com/c/car-series/2...action+Control

I had the stock rotors warp after just a couple of high speed stops... these seem to be solid. My pads are nothing fancy...iirc I got them at auto zone. Most people say hawk hps pads and those blank rotors.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:00 AM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

Ive heard loads of people swear by stainless steel brake lines as well.

My car (not surprisingly) handles like a go kart compared to my 99. Probably the year after next I'll be looking into some DRs and a set of lower control arms and springs. (2 traction mods and one appearance mod)

I would love to be able to lay the hammer down in 1st and hook. It'd have to make the car feel tons faster.

Quick Reply: Short run with 5.0