Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

Kerns vs OKBFD Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 10:44 PM
Kerns
4th Gear Member

Default Kerns vs OKBFD Part 2

So I wanted to test out my new toy and have a nice frame of reference for how quick it is so I got together with OKBFD again. This time of course not in my mustang but in my stock 2011 Corvette vs his 2012 GT500 with watts link, 4.10 gears, and mufflers. We ended up doing 4 races in total with the outcome being 2 wins and 2 losses. Races 2 and 4 were probably the best of the 4 and both races OKBFD ended up pulling me by about 3/4 of a car and 1/2 a car respectively from 50-55mph to 120ish on the 2nd race and 135ish on the 4th. Races 1 and 3 OKBFD had a little bit of trouble hearing the honks and I would jump out by about half a car and then hold that lead until around 110 or so then slowly start to creep a little more on him. His car clearly has a little more mid range power than mine, but once we start hitting triple digits the aero advantage starts to take over and I start pulling a little bit.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:49 PM
okbfd
4th Gear Member

Thanks for the runs.....as always a lot of fun. Dang old fart can't hear worth a crap. The last race was the shizzles. We got a good even jump on 2 and 4 and he was creeping up on me as the speed increased. Aerodynamics and weight do make a difference. At least this time I didn't need the 55gal drum of happy lube
Old 12-04-2013, 06:43 AM
S8ER01Z
6th Gear Member

Nice runs... I didn't know you picked up a new toy even. I was honestly expecting the GT500 to spank you... the damn thing just looks so mean in his sig.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:13 AM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

seems about right. assuming an ls3 in there they dyno in the upper 300's stock. gt500's do upper 400's and as I've always heard it takes roughly 100whp for a gt500 to overtake a vette due to weight/gearing/aero. Good races guys now where's the vids?!?!

Any plans for the vette? have fun modding it if you do, they're about 129 times harder to work on then a 2v.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:43 AM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

Damn, I read the title and thought you were picking on poor okbfd again!
Old 12-04-2013, 09:00 AM
Kerns
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ctgreddy
seems about right. assuming an ls3 in there they dyno in the upper 300's stock. gt500's do upper 400's and as I've always heard it takes roughly 100whp for a gt500 to overtake a vette due to weight/gearing/aero. Good races guys now where's the vids?!?!

Any plans for the vette? have fun modding it if you do, they're about 129 times harder to work on then a 2v.
No videos this time unfortunately since it was just OKBFD and I. I am trying not to do any mods to the vette. Although, it doesn't look that difficult if I were to, but you work on these cars far more than I ever will. If I do anything I'll probably just throw a vortech on there and call it a day. I figure I can piece one together for around 3k.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:38 PM
crash
BrandofPoop

Nice pick up. Sounds like a lot of fun. I need to find my a race buddy.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:05 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Kerns
No videos this time unfortunately since it was just OKBFD and I. I am trying not to do any mods to the vette. Although, it doesn't look that difficult if I were to, but you work on these cars far more than I ever will. If I do anything I'll probably just throw a vortech on there and call it a day. I figure I can piece one together for around 3k.
Things like that aren't all too bad. but if you have a manual car, a clutch is the worst job on the whole car, prolly the worst car to put a clutch in period lol. The other pain is if you cam it you have to remove the steering rack, not bad on a hoist but would be quite a pain in a garage floor.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:21 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

Originally Posted by ctgreddy
Things like that aren't all too bad. but if you have a manual car, a clutch is the worst job on the whole car, prolly the worst car to put a clutch in period lol. The other pain is if you cam it you have to remove the steering rack, not bad on a hoist but would be quite a pain in a garage floor.
Is the C6 Vette the car where the transmission is mounted towards the rear of the vehicle? Cuz if thats the case then is the clutch still right by the engine or further down the car?
Old 12-04-2013, 10:43 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99GTvert
Is the C6 Vette the car where the transmission is mounted towards the rear of the vehicle? Cuz if thats the case then is the clutch still right by the engine or further down the car?
Yup! C5 c6 and c7 are all like that. Clutch is in the front where it should be. Then connects to the torque tube which moves then to the Trans And rear. Kinda a weird setup. For a better idea watch this vid of a car I just finished up a couple weeks ago. The long thing on the Trans Jack the torque tube/Trans/rearend all in one.

Quick Reply: Kerns vs OKBFD Part 2