Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

What mod's to beat stock Trans Am's?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2005, 09:35 PM
tripsevn7
Moderating with Angels

Default RE: What mod's to beat stock Trans Am's?

well i figured i would ask cause i have jumped his *** before, so that was the "pc" moderator in me. last modern f body i had was a 95 formula, which was fun, never really researched the intake on em. i do however appreciate the info
Old 12-26-2005, 11:54 PM
SilverBullet5.0
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: TommyV8

ORIGINAL: tripsevn7

did i come across argumentative?
No, you didn't. You were just asking legitimate questions. He's right though, the hood scoop appears to be just cosmetic, a way for GM to jack up the prices on SS Camaros.

Sorry to jump on you, thats my wonderful internet personality coming out. People are usually shocked when they meet me in person haha.

To be fair, the SS and WS6 hoods do have "runners" that line the underneath of the hood, creating a path for air to enter and follow the runners. The runners end right in front of the opening to the lid. So i suppose they technically might shove more air in, but not anywhere near to the point of making any real difference.
Old 12-27-2005, 12:15 AM
TommyV8
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SilverBullet5.0

To be fair, the SS and WS6 hoods do have "runners" that line the underneath of the hood, creating a path for air to enter and follow the runners. The runners end right in front of the opening to the lid. So i suppose they technically might shove more air in, but not anywhere near to the point of making any real difference.
GM, however, will try to tell you that it makes a 15 hp difference. This is just to justify the price tag. GM horsepower ratings are really just approximations and are sometimes really off due to the fact that they are made up by marketing executives, not engineers. The much more expensive C5 Vette has the same engine, heads and cam and everything, and is rated at 350 hp. You have to look at real-world dyno sheets and timeslips.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:46 PM
fivepointseven

the ram air function wont work well on a dyno unless you generate some serious wind up front.....and if you doubt it works just stick your damn hand out the window going 60 and see the resistance youll feel........at speed your getting air through the inlets up front
Old 12-29-2005, 07:16 PM
TommyV8
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fivepointseven

the ram air function wont work well on a dyno unless you generate some serious wind up front.....and if you doubt it works just stick your damn hand out the window going 60 and see the resistance youll feel........at speed your getting air through the inlets up front
Good point. But do they really run faster 1/4 mile times than non-Ram Air models? Not really.
Old 01-02-2006, 02:05 AM
Racehead

ORIGINAL: Lee Willis

If the TRans Am has the optional WS-6 package then it also has a type of cold air induction that adds another 5-10 Hp once its past 60 mph, too.
No, it does not. No matter how much people want to belive that little hood scoop on a TA or SS gives them horsepower, it just isnt true. You think the hood scoops just create horsepower? No. Youd be lucky to cool the engine down enough to muster 1 horsepower at 130mph much less 10 horsepower at 60.
I'm sorry, but you have some bad information here. I can't speak for the SS, but on the WS6 if you remove the baffles and seal the hood to the airlid it gives you quite a bit more power at higher speeds. I'm talking over 100 mph.
Old 01-02-2006, 02:09 AM
Racehead

ORIGINAL: tripsevn7

hmmmm so the ram air package is completely non functional then silver?

one other question, then the ws6 and the regular bird share the same lid and air inlet?

Yes on both counts. Open the hood on a super sport then open the hood on a Z28, lid is exactly the same and in the same exact spot, with the opening in the exact same spot. Unless the SS had the optional SLP lid, which didnt come automatically with the SS package.

Are you really trying to argue with a guy who works on camaros and TA's every day of his life?
I'm sorry, but bad info again. Yes the Z28 and the SS share the same air lid, but he asked about the T/A's not the Camaro's. The regular firebird and the WS6's are differant. The air intake inlet is about 30% larger ( taller ) on the WS6 than the regular T/A or Z28/SS lid.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:30 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

You right in last two posts but more importantly is what do the cars run in the 1/4? and the answer is that all LS1 f bodies run about the same. So the all the scoops and air intakes really do nothing but add looks. This topic has been beaten to death over on LS1tech and we all agree that an LS1 is anLS1 is an LS1, perfromance wise.
Old 01-02-2006, 01:31 PM
SilverBullet5.0
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Racehead

ORIGINAL: Lee Willis

If the TRans Am has the optional WS-6 package then it also has a type of cold air induction that adds another 5-10 Hp once its past 60 mph, too.
No, it does not. No matter how much people want to belive that little hood scoop on a TA or SS gives them horsepower, it just isnt true. You think the hood scoops just create horsepower? No. Youd be lucky to cool the engine down enough to muster 1 horsepower at 130mph much less 10 horsepower at 60.
I'm sorry, but you have some bad information here. I can't speak for the SS, but on the WS6 if you remove the baffles and seal the hood to the airlid it gives you quite a bit more power at higher speeds. I'm talking over 100 mph.
So therefore its not stock anymore.......

They run identical times at the track, the air lid is for looks, no matter what you want to believe.
Old 01-02-2006, 01:46 PM
TommyV8
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JD1969

You right in last two posts but more importantly is what do the cars run in the 1/4? and the answer is that all LS1 f bodies run about the same. So the all the scoops and air intakes really do nothing but add looks. This topic has been beaten to death over on LS1tech and we all agree that an LS1 is anLS1 is an LS1, perfromance wise.
This is of course assuming all else is equal, such as transmission, gearing, and weight.