Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

Is it normal for your car to fishtail when you floor it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 10:46 PM

Default RE: Is it normal for your car to fishtail when you floor it?

Sticky tires > traction > you.

Old 12-30-2005, 11:06 PM
Hisss04Cobra
says hiththth

I fish tail in 2nd when i'm going 45 m.ph. and i'm not making 450+
Old 12-31-2005, 12:12 AM
ByPopularDemand
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Hisss04Cobra

Close enough
Old 12-31-2005, 12:25 AM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chevykiller

Could be a dozen reasons and unless your making sick power it definitely should not be doing that. I would first start by checking your lower control arms and make sure the bushings are still in and everything is tight. As a matter of fact, get the car on a lift and check ALL your rear suspension and make sure everything is tight. I'm willing to bet you have something lose/broken. I'm also pretty sure your car has a posi. When the car is lifted, have one guy hold one tire and try to turn the other tire. If they can turn independently, then your posi is broke and that could cause it also.

Now if your making crazy power (450+ RWHP) then it's understandable and you need to get a better suspension set-up.

im only making 440 and i can to it easily from even a 50 roll? hmmmm......
Old 12-31-2005, 12:28 AM
XxphantomsnypzxX
3rd Gear Member

well I mean I havent burned out in this car yet, it has 67,000 miles on it only, idk guy said it could be some sand or something on the road, ill prob have it looked at, but I mean my car is stock as of now, I was just in the process of buying **** for it, and I almost crashed it today cuz I floored it down a side street, I performed some fast nd the furious **** lol to prevent me from hitting anything thank god no cars were around
Old 12-31-2005, 12:30 AM
XxphantomsnypzxX
3rd Gear Member

car does not fishtail around corners, then again I havent floored it around corners, its only when I really punch it, this mechanic I know said ud hear if the rear posi was broken, thered be a noise
Old 12-31-2005, 01:56 AM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

ORIGINAL: XxphantomsnypzxX

car does not fishtail around corners, then again I havent floored it around corners, its only when I really punch it, this mechanic I know said ud hear if the rear posi was broken, thered be a noise
If the clutch pack is bad, there would not be any noise just a one wheel peel. Also if your posi went bad the car is NOT likley to fishtail. I would look at the rear suspension parts first and I remember you saying you tires are bald, I am sure that has a ton to do with this.
Old 12-31-2005, 03:48 AM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: JD1969

ORIGINAL: XxphantomsnypzxX

If the clutch pack is bad, there would not be any noise just a one wheel peel. Also if your posi went bad the car is likley to fishtail. I would look at the rear suspension parts first and I remember you saying you tires are bald, I am sure that has a ton to do with this.
I have broken my posi 3 times and never heard a noise while it was broke - just felt the difference. I also wasn't saying the car shouldn't fishtail at 450 HP racer02 & Hiss04, he described almost 'losing control' so I took at as much worse than a simple fishtail. And I also didn't see anything about 'bald tires'. Had he mentioned having bald tires, I wouldn't have even responded to this thread. I'm actually getting a little burned out on the disecting of threads here on MF. Seems like a lot of members just sit around and wait licking their chops to try to pick apart a post. I thought the whole point of these forums was to share information, get to know other people, and help each other out when possible. I'm starting to feel like this website is 70% bench racers and fast and the furious mentality morons.
Old 12-31-2005, 03:54 AM
SilverBullet5.0
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Hisss04Cobra

Maybe in the snow you do.
Old 12-31-2005, 04:39 AM
Hisss04Cobra
says hiththth

Definitely in the snow I probobly would, but if I am in 2nd gear and wot it then I fish tail like none other.

Quick Reply: Is it normal for your car to fishtail when you floor it?