Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

How do you guys initiate races?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 10:19 AM
XxphantomsnypzxX
3rd Gear Member

Default How do you guys initiate races?

Do you guys race random people for money or not? if so, how do you get that setup and make sure you get your money
Old 01-14-2006, 11:00 AM
tripsevn7
Moderating with Angels

Default RE: How do you guys initiate races?

personally i try to only race at the track, which is easier since my dd is a lifted 4x4 only people i ever ran for money were friends so never had a problem collecting and on occasion paying. running for money can get deep, so make sure your cash flow matches your mouth if your dead set on going that route
Old 01-14-2006, 12:04 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

We have certain spots that people who want to race for money meet up at. And yes I just walk up and ask.
Old 01-14-2006, 12:26 PM
Zoie_daGT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JD1969

We have certain spots that people who want to race for money meet up at. And yes I just walk up and ask.
Exactly. Usually when I am hangin out, someone will start sh*t talkin and then you or them will ask to race. Then you set up the race and decide how much you are runnin for.
Old 01-14-2006, 12:33 PM
Lee Willis
2nd Gear Member

Well, I never do a real race impromptu on the street, and I usually don't race that same night: I keep that as a hard and fast rule -- too easy to bend it and then bend it some more and pretty soon you are letting emotions get you in trouble.

If I'm cruising and meet someone who is serious, or if some SOB is being a pest and won't take no, I pull into a lot and try to set up a time and place. We agree on a third party to hold the money, someone we both trust: I like the head mechanic at the local speed shop that alot of us use. We both drop the money off with him before the race, he locks it in the safe and then we go race with him or someone else neutral as the witness.

I'll race for no money if its gentlemanly, or if I'm just interested in the car: ran a 62 Chevy Nova (and lost, lucky I didn't bet) because I just thought it was such a cool car. But I always ask for money from the pests and testosterone-hyped ricer a****les, or anyone who is loud and bragging too much about his car -- usually a lot. Often that shuts them up. However, I've learned you never know who will take you up, so you should never quote a figure unless you have the money and think you can win. The Three-Way with New ZO6 I posted here before Christmas is an example. The guy had a new ZO6 with a few mods that he thought was really hot (it was) but he was just a total ***, loud, obnoxious, constantly talking about how his car was the fastest thing on earth and he could stomp anything on the street, including both my cars, etc. So I told him "Let's find out." For $5K: he wins if he beats either of my two cars, I win only if both beat him. I really expected him to back down: I think he mortgaged the farm to buy that car. But he agreed and even more surprising came up with the $$$ by the weekend. Our buddy wasn't really comofortable having that much in his safe, but . . .

Another thing I have learned is to never spot people lengths or time (as in "I can beat you by five lengths"). Its too hard to measure and even neutral observers you have there can be uncertain about who was where as the crossed whatver finish line you set up. If you do the race at the local track, then you can agree on a tine difference (i.e., a second, etc.), but . . .
Old 01-14-2006, 01:18 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

ORIGINAL: Lee Willis

Another thing I have learned is to never spot people lengths or time (as in "I can beat you by five lengths"). Its too hard to measure and even neutral observers you have there can be uncertain about who was where as the crossed whatver finish line you set up. If you do the race at the local track, then you can agree on a tine difference (i.e., a second, etc.), but . . .
LOL unfortunatly we have to give land here all the time, the two cars are rarley a close match so if we want to run it's what we have to do. One time my buddy with 70 Cutlass 455 on a 250 fogger spotted a mostly stock SRT-4 fifteen car lenths (yes I said 15) and ran him donw like nothing, it was a cool race
Old 01-14-2006, 01:53 PM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

i'll usually be sitting at a light and someone will be looking over rev'ing at me wanting to go. i've never been the one to rev at someone trying to race them. i just wait to see what they're gonna do first. i've had quite a few people fly by me i didn't even know i was racing screaming at me that i just got 0wnd or beat. followed by hazzard lights.
Old 01-14-2006, 07:56 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

I've never initiated a race. If they pull up besides me and start fooling around, if we aren't going too fast I'll downshift and let him know I'm game and let him start it. I don't do any horn honking bs, I just watch for them to go WOT and I persue

At lights, if they rev or ask to go I will have a run at it. I've yet to race over 80 in a street race. I usually just go up to 60 and call it a day because by 60 the race is usually decided.
Old 01-14-2006, 09:31 PM
MustangChris04
5th Gear Member

*drooling over your cobra*
Must be a very intense 3 second 0-60 race [8D]
Old 01-14-2006, 09:39 PM
Lee Willis
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JD1969

. . . unfortunatly we have to give land here all the time . . .

Well, I just won't do lengths or distance (at least not when money is at stake). I will do time differences at the track. But distance, particularly in a street race, No: people argue afterwards "No, you were ahead but not five lenghts ahead when we passed the marker." and even our referree isn't sure -- the cars were hauling butt and he was in a car following behind and looking at an angle, etc.

Quick Reply: How do you guys initiate races?