Suspension Ask all of your general suspension questions here!

Best BANG FOR YOUR BUCK Shocks and Struts???

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 11:45 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

For shocks, I'd look more toward Bilstein and Koni than KYB or Tokico. And from your priority list, Bilsteins would probably prove to be a better match. Apparently, Koni has released a STR.t set for your chassis, and as a non-adjustable Koni it's a less expensive alternative to the yellows. Call Sam Strano (site sponsor, www.stranoparts.com ) and discuss your needs - I think he's got them on sale.

Experiences that I've had with all four of those names over a variety of chassis have demonstrated that the ride:handling compromises are better with Bil and Koni than KYB or Tok. Tokico Illuminas in particular have a downright harsh ride over certain bumps that's all out of proportion to the amount of control that you set them to - even at full soft to the point where the ride gets "floaty", they'll still send a crash through the whole car going over certain bump shapes.

Tire size, and inflation pressure are your first lines of defense against road roughness. You need enough tire to properly carry the weight, and then you need to inflate them properly (which may well be less than the OE sticker pressures if the load rating of your new tires is greater than that for the OE tire size).

Don't overlook the effect that wheel width relative to tire size has - you'd most likely prefer to use wheels slightly less than the "measuring width" for whatever size(s) you settle on (where a cornering addict is likely to want wheel widths up around the maximum recommended width). Just don't go below the minimum recommended width in search of "just a little more" in the way of a softer ride, as the extra sidewall flexing that occurs (it's what allows the ride to be softer) and NM summer heat is not a particularly good combination.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 05-17-2011 at 11:55 AM.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:02 PM
Tommy079
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
For shocks, I'd look more toward Bilstein and Koni than KYB or Tokico. And from your priority list, Bilsteins would probably prove to be a better match. Apparently, Koni has released a STR.t set for your chassis, and as a non-adjustable Koni it's a less expensive alternative to the yellows. Call Sam Strano (site sponsor, www.stranoparts.com ) and discuss your needs - I think he's got them on sale.
Great info man! I really appreciate all the detail and time you put into giving me a well thought out response. Right now I'm moving towards the Bilsteins and am pretty close to buying a pair. But I haven't grabbed them just yet and will certainly look into those Koni Streets like you recommended.

Ok, so I called that guy and UGH, this give me so much more to think about. Because on one hand I can get the Koni Street's at about half the price of what I'd pay for the Bilsteins. And if I wanted to stay around the same price I can get the ADJUSTABLE Koni Sports and Sam said that on their softest setting they are pretty much the same as the Koni Streets, but I can have that option to go more firm if I wanted too.

Now I feel like I'm caught between 2 decisons. Not a rock in a hard place, because I feel like I win either way. WHAT TO DO, WHAT TO DO!!!???!!!

Thanks again!

Last edited by Tommy079; 05-17-2011 at 02:27 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:14 PM
Tommy079
3rd Gear Member

Here is where I'm at on these rear shocks...

I solved my dilemma of being able to pay for those rear Grooved Bilstein rear shocks the way I want (with paypal) so that I can try rear coilovers in the future if I want to THANKS TO AEREON!!! I called stangsuspension like you said, and becaue they are a MM dealer they were able to provide me those shocks at just around $10 more than MM (but I can use my paypal).

So that should be PROBLEM SOLVED, Right? Well, then out of nowhere I get a response from this guy Norm on a thread I started on the best bang for your buck shocks, and he says, have you considered Koni Str.T? He said they are quite comparable to the Bilsteins, and are half the price (actually close to 1/3 of the price if I get the grooved Bilsteins).

So I called Stranoparts.com and talked for a while with the owner who felt that I could get by very nicely with Koni STR.T's. However, he also said that if I wanted to pay around the same thing I would be paying for Bilsteins that I could get the Koni Sports that are ADJUSTABLE! He said on their softest setting that they are about the same as the Koni STR's, but if I ever wanted to try out a stiffer shock that I'd have that option. And I do plan on going to a racing school next summer on a former Nascar racing track. So that would be nice to have for that.

So what do you guys think? Do you get what you pay for and the Bilstein HD's will cover me. Do I go for the STR's in hopes that at the lower price I will be comparable to the Bilstein. Or do I get an adjustable Shock at the same price?

Any input would help so much, because if it weren't for Norm and his awesome money saving idea I'd have a pair of grooved Bilsteins in my Stangsuspension shopping cart right now!
Old 06-21-2011, 10:29 PM
Tangopapa

Your tire brand and sizes most likely will address some of your noise / comfort issues.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:04 PM
wifes pony
1st Gear Member

Bilsteins are top of the line! You will not be disappointed! They ride better .
Old 01-07-2012, 01:30 PM
Tommy079
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wifes pony
Bilsteins are top of the line! You will not be disappointed! They ride better .
That's what I went with in the end. No complaints at all, and they are a huge improvement over what I had before.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:34 PM
Tommy079
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tangopapa
Your tire brand and sizes most likely will address some of your noise / comfort issues.
So for 17" stock wheels which tires do you like best for noise and comfort? Everybody around here is mostly caught up with how sticky the tires are and how well they hook. That is not my most important concern. Comfort is first, then how well they hook (just so I can win redlight races), and then noise I suppose.

But everyone around her is Nitto all the way. I've never tried them and am still in the process of burning the tread on the average quality tires that were on it when I bought it at the end of 2010....so I can't say either way how great Nitto's actually are.
Old 01-07-2012, 03:06 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

There are MANY models of Nitto in their line of tires.

NT555's are very popular, but certainly don't offer the best grip, nor the lowest noise of their product line. You say comfort is first, yet you want to win red light races. Forgetting for the moment how much I detest any type of competative driving between cars on the public roads , I would say that you cannot have it both ways.

You want quiet or you want grip... you wont get both. Now, both quiet and grip are subjective, so you might have to stick with a middle of the road type tire. This means the aforementioned NT555's, or equivalent.

Head over to TireRack and look at tires in your size/price range and read the reviews.

Jazzer
Old 01-14-2012, 10:34 AM
Tommy079
3rd Gear Member

That's cool Jazzer, I always appreciate your input.
Old 12-28-2020, 08:05 AM
PaulCuriel

I suggest you a SENSEN 2330 shocks for your ride. They are powder coated. After installing it, you can see an improvement in ride quality. The main advantage is, it's affordable and fits in your budget. You can also install it by yourself.

Quick Reply: Best BANG FOR YOUR BUCK Shocks and Struts???