Suspension Ask all of your general suspension questions here!

Another advice thread!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 03:36 PM
arabianobsession
2nd Gear Member

Default Another advice thread!

Hi guys,
I recently picked up a 95 Mustang V6 from a friend of mine last winter, and I got it as stock as it gets. Literally. The car currently has 150k on it and it's still running on the original suspension

I eventually am going to swap in a 5.0 and a 8.8 axle, etc., but I want to get the suspension and breaks done first. Only thing is, I've been hearing lots of conflicting stories of what to do/what not to do. Jazzer-I read your suspension sticky, good info! But I'm still not sure what kind of setup I want to do....help please!

If it helps, the car is a DD from April-October.
Old 05-28-2011, 05:35 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Well... you should know the first question I ask of anyone wanting to do mods..

What are the ULTIMATE goals for your ride?

EVERYTHING will depend on the answer to this question, so consider this prior to doing any mods. If anything short of an open-track ride, brakes are an easy and very economical upgrade. Your looking at about $300 for spectacular brakes on OEM calipers and rotors. You only need pads, SS lines and good fluid and this upgrade will be way more than adequate for anything but an open-track car. Truth be told, if you did do open-track and were not very aggressive, they would still be fine.

On to suspension..... In order of what I almost always recommend for a pre-S197:

1. FLSFC's
2. LCA's (if you have seen my guide, you know "Jazzer approved" only, please
3. Decision time...

Lemus* know whacha think!

Jazzer

*kinda cross between let me and let US know
Old 05-30-2011, 09:12 AM
arabianobsession
2nd Gear Member

This isn't going to be a constant track car, mostly a street car with an occasional trip to the track Basically, I want to revamp the entire car, but upgrade from the OEM brakes/suspension. I can also tell you that my calipers are just about shot, too, so those are going to have to go! lol
Old 05-30-2011, 09:39 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Well, if you need new calipers anyway, you may just consider a big-brake kit. Maybe a set of Brembo's up front to fill the wheel well and have better than the upbrades found in the Brakes Upgrade thread. If the backs are bad, you can go Cobra's, but will see VERY little if any, seat-of-the-pants improvement.

I figure you are referring to the open-track and not the 1/4 mile track? If so, start with the brakes and just go premium race fluid with good pads (Hawk, Porterfield or equivalent) and SS lines at all four corners. If 1/4 mile track and DD use, OEM calipers are gonna be just fine with the other upgrades, so save the money for suspension... your gonna need it!

Jazzer
Old 05-30-2011, 12:00 PM
arabianobsession
2nd Gear Member

Good to know, thanks for the info!

I will be ordering some parts in the next week or so, I'll see if I can score some deals. I kind of had a feeling it wasn't going to be a cheap date to upgrade everything at the same time, so I'm mostly prepared to see the bill that's coming my way
Old 05-30-2011, 01:47 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Just do one upgrade at a time, keeping your ULTIMATE goal in mind

This will avoid you being sad, finding you went cheap on the initial upgrad

Jazzer The Poet