Suspension Ask all of your general suspension questions here!

Improve Stock Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 01:32 PM
ZPounds07GT
3rd Gear Member

Question Improve Stock Suspension

Alright.. So I have been looking around a lot about info on what I think fits what I want to do to my car's suspension. At first I wanted to lower my car but see a good bit of people advise not to do this if you carry a bunch of people. Which I tend to taxi everyone around so I'm assuming I shouldn't lower it? Well if I don't then I want to at least improve what is stock. SO.. with that being said.. I finally get to the point.. what should I add or change to improve the stock suspension for cornering and fun without lowering it unless all of the people aren't an issue? Any suggested parts would be great too! Thank you in advance for any and all advice.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:01 AM
arabianobsession
2nd Gear Member

Subframe connectors are a MUST!
Old 06-25-2011, 10:31 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

^ not on the S197 they're not

It needs zero frame support at all, as it is built better then the SN95 and MUCH better than the Fox Body, in terms of frame support.

ZPound... I would not be concerned with a moddest drop and passengers. New lowering springs are gonna be a bit stiffer then OEM and be resistant to bottoming out. So, asside from a bit stiffer ride, you are probably gonna be just about as likely to bottom out either way. I recommend you get a new set of dampers, if you lower your ride. OEM ones can increase the rough ride quality and good aftermarket ones will work in conjuction with new springs and improve both ride quality and handling.

Hopefully Norm will chime in here with some recommendations on springs/dampers that may suite your needs. If not, head over to the S197 Handling Performance section and post a question there. He, as well as others much more knowledgeable on your model hang out there.

Jazzer
Old 06-25-2011, 11:17 AM
arabianobsession
2nd Gear Member

^I dunno....I put some on my 2007 ages ago and what a difference it made. Maybe it was just me.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:48 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Ya, it was just you

Griggs racing recommends no structural support on an S197. Of course, the race cars get a full-cage, but don't offer frame support for street cars. My car has not only lower, but upper support as well.

Certainly no harm will be caused by them on your ride, so we coo

Jazzer
Old 06-25-2011, 12:19 PM
scottybaccus
2nd Gear Member

Looking under mine, I don't see any advantage to subframe connectors at all. I did lower mine and I have two teenagers to stuff in the back routinely. They like it and i've had no trouble, so long as keep an eye out for the bad dip and negotiate it with care. Even lowered, ground clearance isn't bad. I used the Eiback Sportline springs, but you would be even better off with the Pro kit or a similar product from anyone else.

My first question was what's your purpose? If you want a big improvment in cornering, lower springs with higher rate are usually step one, followed by sway bars. Damper become important if you are really trying to have full control of the wheels on any surface, but not entirely necessary on the street. I would say that when you are due for dampers, there is no reason not to upgrade.

All in all, my springs are the best money I've spent in ages.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:21 PM
ZPounds07GT
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the help everyone.

Scotty - if lowering it will not cause it to scrub then I want to make it as good as it can be for a fairly low price, as I tend to have an issue with saving for a while. Oops. Lol.

Keep in mind it is going to remain a daily driver so it doesn't need to be slammed to the floor. But I was looking at a 1.5" drop.. Unless that is too much. But to me it doesn't seem worth it to just drop it an inch.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:13 AM
scottybaccus
2nd Gear Member

I think I saw you had another thread on this question, too.

Mine is down a little over 1.5" (1.7" by the OE spec vs current state). I can bottom it, but it isn't bad. It's my primary transportation and I have my kids in the back just about every weekend, but rarely on a weekday and we aren't uncomfortable. I can see how the Pro Kit might be a better choice if you are the cautious type. I think it is a 1.25" drop.

I have opted not to change anything else for now, but larger sway bars are on the list, dampers will come when I've gotten a few miles out of the stockers, and I doubt I'll need anything else before the stock rubber strut mounts give out. I've already confirmed a panhard isn't necessary on my car, though it's worth confirmation.

I think you'll be really glad you changed the springs. You can make more decisions from there.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:22 AM
ZPounds07GT
3rd Gear Member

Yeah I did. That was the second one. I thought I would get more responses in the other one but it seems about even now. Lol. Oh well. Anyways..

Yeah I was looking for some sway bars and all that but I really don't know anything about them to know which are stronger or anything like that so they all look the same to me. Which have you all found to be the best?
Old 06-26-2011, 11:25 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Sway bars are a tuning device and should be used to address understeer/oversteer issues. Do you have either of these conditions?

Jazzer

Quick Reply: Improve Stock Suspension