Suspension Ask all of your general suspension questions here!

Suspension for road course – BOSS vs Brembo GT

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 10:20 PM
Drano38

Default Suspension for road course – BOSS vs Brembo GT

I’m researching a Stang for road course driving (and also summer DD to work). I’ve got a ’10 GT, but the auto tranny just doesn’t work, so I need a stick shift. I’m considering a BOSS vs ordering a ’12 or ’13 GT Premium w/ Brembo, 3.73 gears, comfort pkg, rear video camera.

Anyone have comparisons to a BOSS vs a stock Brembo package GT?
Is the Brembo suspension different than the standard GT? I searched, but didn’t find anything conclusive.
I know the BOSS is designed for track use. But others say buy a GT and mod the suspension. Koni yellows and Steeda Sport springs seem common.

Last week I rode in a BOSS at Hastings. Mods were Nitto 555RII 285/35/18 up front and 305/35/18 in the back and MM Caster/Camber plates. It seems to get some body roll (shocks/struts at firmest setting), but takes the corners w/ a vengeance. In the past he tried running same size tires on all 4 corners, but said that didn’t work, so apparently its tuned for staggered tires. Don’t know if a different rear bar would make running square possible, or if that would screw up the rest of the suspension.

If the GT Brembo suspension was built for road course driving, that may be a valid option too w/out having to replace shocks/struts/sway bars, etc. It would be cheaper in the end than a BOSS, but wouldn’t have Recaro seats, Torsen differential, nor BOSS engine internals/heads. In the GT Premium I’d gain the 6 way electric seat, Shaker 500, and other GT Premium luxuries that are nice for daily driving, but don’t help on the track.
I’d put brake cooling ducts on a GT w/ the GT/CS lower fascia, so they’d be the same as a BOSS. And either car would get ATE Superblue and brake pads suitable for track. I've been using Carbotech XP10/XP8 so far.

I’m willing to travel to find a BOSS. And it seems they are now sitting on dealer lots, so an MSRP BOSS is hopefully an option.

Opinions on a BOSS vs Brembo GT for road course and summer DD are appreciated.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:50 PM
scottybaccus
2nd Gear Member

The BOSS is by far more track ready. So far as I know, none of the GT cars came with adjustable shocks out of the box. None of the GTs has the Track Key alternative tune, either.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:38 AM
SteedaMatt

I would have to say a BOSS with a little bit of tweaking would be a better road course car. I think you would have to put enough $$$ in a Brembo GT to keep up with a BOSS, that it would not be worth it. Not just suspension but motor as well. Plus on the resale side it is a Genuine BOSS car.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:13 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Drano38
Last week I rode in a BOSS at Hastings. Mods were Nitto 555RII 285/35/18 up front and 305/35/18 in the back and MM Caster/Camber plates. It seems to get some body roll (shocks/struts at firmest setting), but takes the corners w/ a vengeance. In the past he tried running same size tires on all 4 corners, but said that didn’t work, so apparently its tuned for staggered tires. Don’t know if a different rear bar would make running square possible, or if that would screw up the rest of the suspension.
Shocks/struts don't particularly reduce the roll angles reached - what they will do is slow their development down a bit and keep the car from overshooting the equilibrium roll angles by as much.

When he says it doesn't work it could be that a 'square' setup doesn't work for him/his driving style or it really could be something in the setup (including the alignment specs - at all four corners).

To me, running the rear shocks full-stiff probably would want you to have either a little more rear tire or a little less front tire, sort of as a band-aid for a setup that could be slightly too loose otherwise.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 07-12-2011 at 12:18 PM.