Suspension Ask all of your general suspension questions here!

Upgrading from stock suspension need help

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 11:34 AM
1BAD07GT

Post Upgrading from stock suspension need help

I have a stock 2007 gt and am looking to upgrade the suspension but cant decide the best coil-overs/shocks and springs to get im looking to lower the car between 2 and 2.5 inches and am looking for a just softer better all around ride

also i plan on upgrading the rear lower control arms,upper control arm, front and rear sway bars, panhard rod,adding front chassis bracing also and getting a better lower a arm, all from bmr except for the front and rear sway bars, and chassis brace they are coming from whiteline automotive

thanks for the help im 19 have had my 07 since january 28 of 08 and need help in the right direction for suspension since there is so may options and choices out there
Old 09-26-2011, 09:47 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

It'll look fantastic lowered 2.5", but it will not at all be what you could consider "a just softer better all around ride." A 1.5" drop, like our UPR Pro Series springs offer, is about the limit of what I'd consider a good looking drop that still has a decent ride.

Your suspension plan sounds good, although I'd suggest for you to check out uprproducts.com. Our suspension parts are top quality equipment with a lifetime guarantee, and we're price below most of our competitors. (MF members get a 10% discount on UPR Products on our web store)

Just something to think about!
Old 09-27-2011, 05:58 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Agreed, as low as that and "softer better all around ride" don't fit together very well. One of the reasons is that the 2" or whatever that you lower the car is 2" or so less room for the car to take a bump before you slam into the bump stops. I know you can trim the bump stops, which only makes for a worse sting when you hit them (which will still happen, maybe not quite as often).

That low also gives up some of the geometry that was designed in to the suspension, which really isn't all that bad.

Jazzer is going to be MIA for a bit, so I'll ask his question for him - just what direction do you mainly want to take this car. Dragstrip (seriously or just occasional?), appearance/car shows (with/without judging?), daily driving (what shape are the roads in down your way?). Every one of these activities involves some sort of compromise if you're shooting for "best", and they're all slightly different. If you can rank them in the order that suits you, you'll be more likely to end up with a better overall result.

I know I didn't see autocrossing or open tracking on your list, but those are other activities that could be made to work better, just with slightly different compromises - and you might even like doing them.

I have no idea what your budget might be, but for an '07 GT I'd put shocks and struts at the top of the list. My own preference happens to be Koni Yellows, mainly for the adjustability. I happen to like significantly tighter control and a firmer ride than my wife does, and it's about a two minute job to reset them in either direction depending on whether she'll be riding in the car for more than a few miles. They'll also give you some room to develop your car with stiffer than OE springs and stabilizer bars (aka "sway bars", which isn't technically correct).

Quite frankly, if you aren't going to be playing with suspension tuning for the road course or autocross in an advanced class, I don't think there's enough benefit to coilovers to justify the cost. You won't be running 300+ lb/in springs (that comfort thing you mentioned), so there's no functional reason for avoiding the better conventional lowering springs. I more or less agree with Sharad here, somewhere between an inch and an inch and a half will get you lowered without sacrificing too much comfort or geometry.

I'd back that up with slightly firmer sta-bars, which will help keep a lowered car off the outside wheel bump stops while cornering or swerving to avoid hitting stuff in the road. Adjustable, if the $ thing permits, as this will also let you upgrade the spring rates without having to buy whole new bars.

After that, it comes down to solving problems. When you know what could be better, it's easier to fix that instead of trying to guess up front what it's going to need. It also spreads the expense out if you sneak up on your final solution. And if/when you stop having problems, stop modding because it won't make it work any better for you at that point. Maybe in time you'll need or want more mods, but take a break and just enjoy driving the car for a bit.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 09-27-2011 at 06:15 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:16 AM
1BAD07GT

Thanks ill have to go take a look at upr saving money is always good in my book and thanks for replying helping me out deciding what to do

and Norm its my daily driver i live in the country so the roads arent in the best or shape i want to lower it so the tires are closer to the fenders to give it a cleaner look yeah i want a soft ride but the more adjustability the better cause then i can tweak it here and there to soot what i want not really looking for a shock that u put on and thats it if u dont like it u cant change it u would just have to order another set cause im 19 and have no job so money is tight for me cant keep buying and buying the non adjustable trying to find what i want there for im looking for a shock with a wide range of adjustably softer/firmer and a good range in drop like 1inch to 2.5 would be nice and thats nother thing i cant decide what springs help?

and i have looked at bilstien ,tokico d spec,d2s,h&r,eibach and teins what are your take on these? and what would you get?

and thanks for the reply and help
Old 10-22-2011, 10:45 AM
turbo232
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1BAD07GT
Thanks ill have to go take a look at upr saving money is always good in my book and thanks for replying helping me out deciding what to do

and Norm its my daily driver i live in the country so the roads arent in the best or shape i want to lower it so the tires are closer to the fenders to give it a cleaner look yeah i want a soft ride but the more adjustability the better cause then i can tweak it here and there to soot what i want not really looking for a shock that u put on and thats it if u dont like it u cant change it u would just have to order another set cause im 19 and have no job so money is tight for me cant keep buying and buying the non adjustable trying to find what i want there for im looking for a shock with a wide range of adjustably softer/firmer and a good range in drop like 1inch to 2.5 would be nice and thats nother thing i cant decide what springs help?

and i have looked at bilstien ,tokico d spec,d2s,h&r,eibach and teins what are your take on these? and what would you get?

and thanks for the reply and help

i would go Bilstein. they are OEM on Cobras for a reason. if you are looking to do some serious driving you will have to wait for Jazzer. i have the Eibach Pro-Kit, it looks good but you will need CC plates. go with Maximum Motorsports, I have never had an issue with mine.

it looks lower in the rear but the driveway is sloped.