Suspension Ask all of your general suspension questions here!

LOUD Rear End Bang

Old 02-19-2013, 04:13 PM
mattmoran

Default LOUD Rear End Bang

I have a 2004 GT, lowered on god knows what... I bought it about 8 months ago and was told it was previously lowered with a Saleen suspension. I didnt think twice about it because at the time I wasnt worried about what type of suspension was on the car, but I've had this LOUD bang come from the rear end whenever I hit a dip in the road or a pot hole. It doesnt happen any other time, never happens while just driving on a flat road and it doesnt even happen when I go over RR tracks ( I go really slow over RR tracks). The ONLY time it happens is when I hit a dip or a hole. Nothing around turns nothing pulling into high driveways or coming out..just strictly dips and potholes. When I say its a loud bang its loud... Im pretty sure every other person on the road can hear this bang when it happens and everytime I hear it I cringe, which has resulted in me not driving it until I get it figured out. I've pushed down on the back bumper on all angles and it doesnt make the noise so it definitely needs a lot of weight to do it.. I've looked undernearth to see if anything is broken but i can only see so much. The noise is loud.. it almost seems like as soon as the cars weight reaches the bottom it goes BANG, im not really sure if there is a metallic ping or not because the bang just covers every other noise, any ideas or anyone ever have this issue? Im sorry i cant provide more info on what brand everything is underneath as I didnt lower the car so i dont know the parts.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:25 PM
Randynj

Does the car have stock exhaust? If the tailpies aren't lined up right they could easily be hitting the rear axle on a lowered car. You should be able to see some marks on the pipe if that were the case. Keep us posted
Old 02-19-2013, 07:14 PM
mattmoran

It has magnaflow weld-ins I was told when I purchased it, and the way the back end slams I feel they would've snapped off from the force already
Old 02-20-2013, 09:16 AM
Randynj

It takes quite a lot to snap an exhaust, unless it's very rusty. That would be the first place to look.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:51 PM
mattmoran

2 inch drop on stock shocks, needless to say they're just about shot
Old 02-20-2013, 04:24 PM
inkdemon
1st Gear Member

I agree, check the shocks. All may look ok, but if the shock is shot it will look normal with the spring doing the work, but a dip can give you grief!
Old 02-20-2013, 04:37 PM
amyhughes
1st Gear Member

Is it on one side or the other, and does it make the noise when you turn from level road to an inclined driveway on the same side as the noise? I don't know what it is, but my Taurus was doing that when I traded it in. It'd make a bang that sounded like binding metal when the right rear tire was relieved of some weight, which happens at some point in a right turn onto an incline.

If it's the same thing, and it sounds like it from your RR track and pothole comparison, it might be happening on the extension of the springs or shocks rather than on compression.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:46 PM
mattmoran

Mechanic said my shocks are just about done, the car is lowered 2 inches on the stock shocks and theyve had enough, any ideas on a good pair of rear shocks? i dont want to spend a crazy amount, cheap would be ideal as ill probably be replacing a lot underneath in the future and I just want to be able to drive it for now. Just need a good pair of rear shocks for a 2 inch drop
Old 02-21-2013, 09:02 AM
Dawghouse
2nd Gear Member

Koni sports will do you good and they are adjustable.