Suspension Ask all of your general suspension questions here!

Mixed coilover brands

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 05:40 PM
crash
BrandofPoop

Default Mixed coilover brands

So I'm a student on a budget. I would like to lower the car more than it already sits with some coilovers. What effect would having two different brands of coil overs for the front vs the rear would it have? If the fronts were different from the back, do you think it would have a negative effect? The reason why I ask is because in mm&ff there is an advertisement for coil overs; unfortunately they do not have a set accommodating for a cobra's IRS :/ so that is my dilemma. Discuss!
Old 02-05-2014, 05:48 PM
ModBargains
Former Sponsor

Will it work? Yes, it will work, but like hell would I want to drive the car, it'll likely ride like crap if I'm honest. Stick with the same stuff on all four corners, you never know how unpredictable your suspension might be if you swap stuff in and out and not have the same stuff on all four corners working with each other.

In my professional opinion modifying cars for 10 years myself, I would say that's a big and definite NO. Save your money, modding isn't worth it if it sacrifices your safety.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:47 PM
robb15033
2nd Gear Member

Variations front & rear are common. You will need a Mustang shop or a "speed shop" to do the final alignment. You can ask them their opinion after installing different suspension systems for thousands of other Mustangs. I have seen coil overs on front only, many times.
Coil Over Options- I know very little about coil-over set ups, mine are always somewhat standard. Kenny Brown has kits, Eibach & Steeda have kits, Strange has kits, Raceland claims to have kits that work (?), KW has nice kits, Maximum Motorsports products are a no-brainer.
Good Luck. New suspension jobs are huge, expensive, tedious, and sooo worth it in the end.