SVO Forum

Ok SVO guys

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 01:18 PM
03BLCKNGHT
1st Gear Member

Default Ok SVO guys

Alright I used to drive the older mustangs I had two 89 5.0s I currently have a 03 gt. But I was thinking about grabbing a 84 svo just as a project it runs good and is pretty cheap. But i was wondering how difficult it is to find parts for them and what usually goes up besides of course the turbo. Were these cars pretty solid?
Just wondering
Old 09-18-2008, 01:33 PM
sleeper_inc
6th Gear Member

The only issues with the SVO's or all 2.3 turbos is the cylinder head likes to crack if the car over heats.

There are load of parts, but the drivers outter signal light isn't made, and costs a load of $$$ to get, and a front bumper cover is almost $500 to replace.

Ford over designed the rotating assembly so they will go for a VERY long time.

The SVO is regarded as the best handling mustang ever produced also
Old 09-18-2008, 01:42 PM
03BLCKNGHT
1st Gear Member

hmm funny you would say something about the bumper this one has a wrecked front bumper right now I was really just seeing before I bother going to look at it.
Old 09-18-2008, 01:51 PM
sleeper_inc
6th Gear Member

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...0%201&comp=LRS
About $400
Old 09-18-2008, 01:58 PM
03BLCKNGHT
1st Gear Member

hmm alrighty then
I havent actually seen the car so all I know is what I hear but with a slightly wrecked front end meaning bumper and a good running condition minor flaws here and there what would you consider a good price to pay
Old 09-18-2008, 03:48 PM
TRBOPWR
4th Gear Member

Basically when you go to check out the car look for SVO specific parts, as those tend to be the most expensive things to replace. Basically, the entire front end is SVO specific. Hood, bumper, header panel, all the lights etc. Other than that you have the trim pieces, the spats right in front of the rear wheels, wheels, the sail panels, the double wing, taillights, steering wheel, shift ****/boot, yadda yadda. A good number of these parts are reproduced, but not all.

And of course you will want to check all the common places for rust. Stuff for the motors is pretty cheap, and the cars are stupidly simple to work on. If all of the SVO specific stuff is there, I would definitely pay 2-3k depending on mileage and just the overall condition of the car. Just as an idea, fast65 on here paid ~$2800 for his and it is one fine looking car. He did get a deal though IMO.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:00 PM
flash517
2nd Gear Member

I'm in Maryland. I'm about to go buy a black one thats for sale pretty cheap. Get it. There rare cars and them 2.3 turbos are fun.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:05 PM
svo86
1st Gear Member

Ive got a front bumper with a hole the size of a silver dollar in it. a lot easier to repair than a huge rip if youre interested. i bought a perfect shape used one for 50 bucks, and im buying a set of front seats for 200, so there are def deals out there.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:52 PM
fast65
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TRBOPWR
Basically when you go to check out the car look for SVO specific parts, as those tend to be the most expensive things to replace. Basically, the entire front end is SVO specific. Hood, bumper, header panel, all the lights etc. Other than that you have the trim pieces, the spats right in front of the rear wheels, wheels, the sail panels, the double wing, taillights, steering wheel, shift ****/boot, yadda yadda. A good number of these parts are reproduced, but not all.

And of course you will want to check all the common places for rust. Stuff for the motors is pretty cheap, and the cars are stupidly simple to work on. If all of the SVO specific stuff is there, I would definitely pay 2-3k depending on mileage and just the overall condition of the car. Just as an idea, fast65 on here paid ~$2800 for his and it is one fine looking car. He did get a deal though IMO.
$2750 thank you very much. Yeah I got a pretty good deal on mine, the kid had to sell it before he moved to California in two days and I happened to be searching around Craigslist. I do have to argue with them bring stupidly simple to work on, mines not running and I can't figure it out, maybe the car's simple and I'm just stupid? They are really fun cars though and you will NOT regret buying one. Good luck!
Old 09-20-2008, 06:07 PM
svo86
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by fast65
$2750 thank you very much. Yeah I got a pretty good deal on mine, the kid had to sell it before he moved to California in two days and I happened to be searching around Craigslist. I do have to argue with them bring stupidly simple to work on, mines not running and I can't figure it out, maybe the car's simple and I'm just stupid? They are really fun cars though and you will NOT regret buying one. Good luck!
When I bought mine a year ago it wasnt running,... the guy who was selling it bought it for $8,800. He sold it to me because he thought something serious was wrong with it. He sold it to me for $4,500 and said "When you get it you have to take it home on a trailer." Knowing how easy these things are to work on, I drove down there without a trailer. Looked at it and determined that the starter switch was unplugged. Sooooo, needless to say I plugged it in and drove it home. Perfect interior, steering wheel rewrapped, shift **** perfect, A/c worked, lights brand new, perfect paint, bi-wing stiff. However, i did have to put 2 fuel pumps and a new clutch in it. Also had to rebuild the front calipers, and put new rotors on because the pistons got stuck.

Quick Reply: Ok SVO guys