SVT Forums

SHO/Cobra hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 03:26 PM
SHOoff

Default SHO/Cobra hybrid

Ok, heres my story.. I dont own a mustang (although the new Roush is starting to grown on me). This comming winter I plan on removing the engine from my 1999 SHO Taurus and replacing it with the 4.6 from a lincoln continental and adding a cobra supercharger to top it off. I really have no idea whats inside the engine so Im not even sure if this will work. My question is what parts will I need to make this work in addition to the engine, supercharger, throttle body, injectors and fuel pump...? Im even thinking about swapping out the heads for cobra ones if I can come across them cheap enough. Ive heard with Ford's "modular" engine desing, pretty much anything can be swapped out. Is there any truth to this? Thanks everyone!!!
Old 07-06-2006, 04:17 PM
mg01svt
1st Gear Member

Default RE: SHO/Cobra hybrid

Honestly, if you really want that setup you may be better off buying a used 03 Cobra motor and selling what you have to offset the costs. You already know your are going to need a ton of parts (dont forget about cooling) to make this project work, might as well have some forged guts to handle the power on inside too.

Sounds like a cool project.

Aaron
Old 07-08-2006, 02:52 AM
SHOoff

The cobra block wont work because the bell housing wont bolt up to the FWD transmission. As for cooling, I have to use the radiator from the continental since the inlets/outlets are on the opposite side from the SHO motor. If anyone has any exploded diagrams of a cobra engine or knows where I can find one, that would be killer. As for "guts" what do you mean by that? I already know im gonna need a beefed up tranny but as fars as crank, pistons, rods, im clueless.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:22 AM
93Black5.0
1st Gear Member

this is the most retarded idea i've heard in a while. There is no way in hell (if you dont have a crapload of sponsors) that you are going to make this happen in the next decade. They put a 347 stroker in a focus with IRS and a t-56 but that is with almost a completely redesigned chassis. It is stupid to convert an fugly-*** car like a 99 taurus to a RWD, front engine, V8. My buddy built his 89 SHO (bored out 3.2 block, ported heads, honed intake, big MAF, built (and i mean built) trans, full exhaust, solid mounts, solid subframe bushings, shocks and springs, and a rod shifter from a later SHO and that thing cost him a fortune. It'll smoke alot of cars around here from a 35+ mph roll. but it doesnt hande for **** because guess what!???!???! ITS A GODDAMN TAURUS! not a mustang!