SVT Forums

Buying a used Cobra

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 09:40 PM
IntruderLS1
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Buying a used Cobra

I have no say here for more reasons than I can count, but my thoughts on it are this: Don't go blow your wad on a Cobra when you can get a fully loaded GT for half the cost. You're 18, so I'm going to assume this is your first real muscle car.... Don't start w/ the Cobra, because chances are you're going to kill it before your 1st year is out. It may be an accident, you might blow the engine, or stip out the tranny..... who knows? For a 1st muscle car, like I said, the GT will be ***** to the walls power compared to what you're used to. You will be crushing your local rice all day long. They look almost identical (close enough to clone if you needed to). And you'll still have tons of cash left over for other things in life. (Remember the price difference in insurance too) If you spend the money on mods, it'll do 2 things. 1) It will teach you a ton about your car, and how things work 2) The power increase, while toping a stock Cobra in the end, will come on you gradually enough that you don't go out on night one and kill yourself in it. Like I said, my oppinion is worth what you paid for it, but there it is.
Old 06-15-2004, 04:04 AM
Thirtysixwood

there is plenty of truth in what intruder is saying, especially the insurance, and maybe being young and think that just because its a cobra it will last without blowing the engine or tranny. Or that you might kill yourself in it.

but on the other hand..... I was 17 years old when I bought my first cobra, I went from an 87 chevy celebrity to a 1997 white LX convertible. which got plenty of looks but when I started figuring out that gts cobras and saleens exsisted. Boy was I bummed out cause I wanted one of those, well since I couldnt afford a saleen, and didnt want a GT (LIKE EVERYONE ELSE HAS) I choose the cobra. talk about power difference will you... but, a stick is a stick if you know where the give point is you dont have to drive it like a maniac, you can gradually learn how to handle the car. its not hard and its not rocket science. I am just saying, If you like the ford mustang and you got the money to pay for it, I would tell my own kids, Go get!!!!!!! you are young true, but you want things and you'll go after them till there are no more stones to look under. I say get one.
Just be responsible, thats all you have to do, besides people get more upset cause you wont race them then if you bet them. thats my 2 cents.
Old 06-15-2004, 04:12 PM
AhhCobras

I agree with both of you, but I really want a Cobra because EVERYONE drives a GT but I guess I'll see what happenes. I would treat that car perfectly and wouldn't beat the crap out of it and drive it hard just because it has alot of power. I've never gotten a speeding ticket so far but when I do I want it to be in a Cobra
Old 06-15-2004, 05:02 PM
IntruderLS1
2nd Gear Member

LOL Good Luck mate. I had a clean driving record too before I bought my Z28..... Well, 4 tickets later I stay my *** in the slow lane. $300 a month for insurance is a bad thing. [&:]