SVT Forums

Buying a used Cobra

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 02:00 PM
AhhCobras

Default Buying a used Cobra

This is my first post, but have been reading many threads for a long time. Im selling my 1.8T Jetta for a Cobra. I am still unsure about what year I want but im leaning towards a 2001 because its a little closer to my spending range. Also, I was checking out the 99's but I know they had problems with the recall. How much should say a 2001 cost? Thanks for your opinions.

-Mike
Old 06-07-2004, 08:46 PM
BCisme
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Buying a used Cobra

a good low mielage one will cost you around 20 grand. i got a loan approval for one, but decided to keep my GT. i was finding them anywhere from 18-21K for a good one.
Old 06-07-2004, 10:32 PM
NOS/MAN
I ♥ Acer

hey man heres my 99 cobra i got used with 49,000 miles on it,,$7145.00 slightly wreaked with slight flood damage..easy fix motor was good..

[IMG]local://upfiles/5822/Ge964038069.jpg[/IMG]
Old 06-07-2004, 11:02 PM
SCARFACE
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: NOS/MAN

hey man heres my 99 cobra i got used with 49,000 miles on it,,$7145.00 slightly wreaked with slight flood damage..easy fix motor was good..

[IMG]local://upfiles/5822/Ge964038069.jpg[/IMG]
I'll give you $8K for it if your interested ? *good deal*
Old 06-08-2004, 11:33 AM
AhhCobras

Nos/Man did you get yours from one of those car auctions? I was thinking if I get one from an auction with minimal damage or it was stolen, something like that, it would be really cheap like yours.
Old 06-09-2004, 08:11 PM
BCisme
5th Gear Member

you can do that, IF you can find one. remember, they're rare enough as it is. it's tough to find a good one close to me, let alone have any selection. if you do buy it like that, it will have a bad title. if not, and its in good shape, it will be sold at a higher price. it's rare and desired enough, and salvage yards know this. they'll sell it for 5 G's or so under book, or auction it. if you buy a damged one, repairs may cost you more than the vehicle is worth if it has a bad title. remember a salvage title will kill its value. if you can do the work yourself, or have a good hook up, it's worth it. just keep in mind the costs vs what the car is worth. it's usually less of a hassle to just buy a good clean one. especially a car like this.
Old 06-11-2004, 02:54 AM
AhhCobras

BCisme, I definately agree with what you said. Im only 18 thats why I was looking for one maybe at an auction just so I dont have to spend all of my money, but there is a nice 01 with 15,000 miles for 22k at a dealer not too far from me. Do you think I could get it for atleast 19? The blue book for that car is around 18,500 but they are rare so I'm not sure if they would go down on the price.
Old 06-12-2004, 11:05 PM
NOS/MAN
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: AhhCobras

Nos/Man did you get yours from one of those car auctions? I was thinking if I get one from an auction with minimal damage or it was stolen, something like that, it would be really cheap like yours.
YES IT WAS A CAR AUCTION,,BUT GOT ANOTHER 9K IN IT NOW INCLUDING PRO CHAGER,,,I JUST HAD TO CHANGE THE FT, BUMPER 2 HEADLIGHTS,LEFT FENDER,,FIXED HOOD,,AND FIXED DRIVER DOOR,,ONCE I GOT IT RUNNING IT DIDNT HAVE 3RD OR FOUTH GEAR HAVE TO TAKE TRANS APART HAD BROKEN FORK IN TRANS 35 DOLLAR FIX BUT NEEDED CLUTCH IT THAT TIME ,,,
Old 06-13-2004, 02:30 PM
Thirtysixwood

Hey AHHhCobras,
Listen, I am always looking at cobras all the time everywhere on the net, magazines, even dealerships from time to time, I can help you out if you want. I will give you my email address, and just let me know what you are looking for, and it seems you are looking for one in your area? well anyway just email me what you are looking for, I am a 4 time cobra owner, 2 96's 94 and a 98. my personal favorite years are 96-98 i can find you some good deals on those low miles and convertible if you wanted. email is Thirtysixwood@yahoo.com just email me something and I'll do my best to help you out, just let me know what you are looking for.
Old 06-14-2004, 02:38 AM
AhhCobras

Thanks I appreciate it! I'll drop your an email tomorrow morning when I get to work.

Quick Reply: Buying a used Cobra