SVT Forums

Trading in my 01 cobra for 03 cobra

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 11:27 PM
FlyHigh

Default RE: Trading in my 01 cobra for 03 cobra

Hey, I just thought I'd share some of my experience for y'all.
I was in Florida over the Summer, and came across an '04 Cobra (26K Miles) going for $32,000 at an Infiniti Dealership.
It took my pops and I about 15 minutes to get the guy down to $27,000.
The sad part is I had to leave for back home the next day (Washington, D.C.).
I walked out and told him I'd think on it, I was also sure to get his cell phone number as well.
The next day he called while I was on the way back home and asked if we could work a deal out, he was basically told "Yeah, a lower price".
He called again a week later asking the same question, but I wasn't around when he called. I planned on calling him back, but I became so busy with everything back up here that it was hard to find the time.
I checked out their inventory and I no longer saw it listed. They might still have the car, I doubt it, but it's a possiblity, because they rarely list everything online.

This saturday I was going to see an '03 selling for $25.5K, already modified and all that. It was an individual selling it, he's actually on ModularFords' Forum. I got a call from him about 40 Minutes before I planned to meet with him, and he said he had just sold it earlier this morning. Hey, I'm not hating though, I'm also trying to sell a vehicle and I know how tough it can be, I feel good for the guy, I actually congratulated em.

So today I go to a Ford Dealership across town, it took almost an hour-and-a-half to get there because of the crapped up roads, construction, and traffic. Well, online they were asking $28,800 for their '04 Cobra (15K Miles). To be honest, it's not as nice as the one in Florida, but then again it's a lot easier to keep a car nicely detailed when you don't need to contend with Winter. The interior is absolutely beautiful, and although there are a few marks here and there on the exterior, it's nothing that I can't get fixed down the road. Well, on the lot they were asking the MSRP Price of around $31,500. I had to almost laugh because I was basically thinking "Here goes this game again". I started with an offer of $20,000. Trust me, in the same way that you want to start high when selling, you need to start low when buying. It leaves plenty of elbow room for negotiations. The salesperson did the usual and went and got the slick talkin manager, he was saying all about not wanting to lose money, and $28,000 was the lowest he could go. I know he's bs'ing, remember, it IS a GAME. You just have to play it better than them. So he goes down to $27,000, then he rollercoasts back on up to between $28,000 and $29,000.

I had my old man with me too, like I did in Florida, cause he negotiates major contracts for a living, and he's real good, we're like a team. He did most of the talking this time, and he caught the dealer talking about the $27,000, and had him snagged there. He was str8 up with the Manager too and said "How long u had the car here?" and the Manager said "Oh that doesn't really affect the value, cause the longer we have it here, the more it costs us to keep it", lol man, the manager just cut his own throat with that comment. Lol I had to laugh at one comment too, the Manager was saying "Hey, it's the end of the month, the pressure is really on us to make a deal right now, so if anytime is the best to get a deal, it's now, because come next month, forget it we start over". Lol I almost burst out laughing, I said "So what? The Price isn't going to change." Not like they're the Police with some kind of Monthly Ticket Quota.

You know how they also try to warm up to you to make you feel extremely comfortable and willing to pay higher? Shoulda seen the old man in action, he did it reverse on the manager, and I swear to you I noticed the Manager starting to loosen up and lay down his guard. Not only that, but when we finally laid down $21,000, and he laid down $28,000, we got their numbers (The Sales Manager, and Sales Person), and started to leave, the guy kept trying to keep a convo. going with us. I noticed an entire change in his smooth demeanor, and he started to have a slightly desperate look about him. He then said "What would you be willing to pay to leave with the car right now?" and to that came the reply "Well, I gave my offer, and I'm willing to go up some, but you have to come down, so somewhere in the middle". The Manager just looked a lil bit in thought, and we walked out on that.
I hope I can truly get this car here, it's completely stock, which to me is cool so I can personalize it.

The single best piece of advice I can give anyone searching for a good deal, NEVER, and I mean NEVER be afraid to just walk away. If you do that, you're calling their bluff. I would also say that 95% of the time, they WILL call you to work out a deal. If they don't, then you don't need to deal with them. A good dealership, or any dealership with an ounce of common sense or business sense, will want to work with a potential buyer to move cars off the lot.

Also, dealerships can easily sell below invoice and still profit. They get all kinds of kick-backs. One time my family dealt with a very honest dealer, before negotiations even started, the guy dropped the price $8,000 straight up. I knew the value of the car, so he really was giving us a good deal, but he was str8 up and I had a lot of respect for that. Too bad more dealers aren't like that.

Want a list of advice? Here it is:

1. Never get too excited about a potential purchase.
2. Never get attached to any potential purchase.
3. Never rush into judgment simply because you're afraid of losing that car "you love".
4. Realize there are always other cars out there which are similar, and possibly better.
5. Before any negotiating, make sure you receive business cards and contact information for the sales people.
6. Always start low in regards to your Buying Price.
7. Always have a deal finalized in writing before you even consider discussing a Trade-in.
8. Do your research so you have plenty of ammo to use as reasoning behind your low Buying Price. (Recalls and True Market Values (As opposed to KBB MSRP for instance)).
9. And of course, Never be afraid to simply walk-out.
Sometimes it is even feasible to quietly receive your sales person's personal contact before leaving, such as a cell-phone number.

Remember the Good Cop/ Bad Cop routine as well. The Sales Manager is there to talk slick, and at times be an AH, while the Salesperson attached to you is there to "Help You Out".