SVT Forums

What really kills the engine?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 06:53 AM
zincsvtcobra
2nd Gear Member

Default What really kills the engine?

I'm kind of confused about an issue. I was reading the July issue of 5.0, the one where they took $1200 and made 88 more horses, and am concerned about the tuners. They stated that the tuners (SCT and Diablo) made the A/F ratio really rich, especially when they installed the 2.8 pulley. I think I'm concerned about a safe tune more than anything. I guess I want to know if anyone has had any problems with this and what you did to fix it.
Old 08-20-2006, 02:26 PM
HaV
5th Gear Member

Default RE: What really kills the engine?

ORIGINAL: zincsvtcobra

I'm kind of confused about an issue. I was reading the July issue of 5.0, the one where they took $1200 and made 88 more horses, and am concerned about the tuners. They stated that the tuners (SCT and Diablo) made the A/F ratio really rich, especially when they installed the 2.8 pulley. I think I'm concerned about a safe tune more than anything. I guess I want to know if anyone has had any problems with this and what you did to fix it.
I dont have experience with the 03/04's, but I do with other boosted motors.. and I can tell you the thing that really kills the motor is people installing pre made tunes and running with them. Its not truly possible to just get a custom tune from a company and install it and it be 100% right. Any time you adjust a tune on a boosted motor it needs to be on a dyno with an A/F gauge hooked up so you can actualy see what is going on. Another problem besides the tune from a company being off, is people who have no buisness adjusting settings hooking them up and playing around with their settings. Its okay to adjust timing way up and tweak other things on a N/A motor.. but on a boosted motor its asking for trouble... you just dont know for sure if its really throwing off your A/F at a certin point or not.. and all it takes is one lean run to blow a piston ring..

If the problem your seeing is they are making hte cars run really rich, that should not be a problem. By default, you want a boosted motor to always run richer.. Rich is much much safer than lean.... but most people that play with them on their own screw that part up. lol
Old 08-20-2006, 05:25 PM
mysticsvtcobra96
2nd Gear Member

[sm=exactly.gif]
Old 08-20-2006, 05:39 PM
zincsvtcobra
2nd Gear Member

Thanks HaV. Damn good info. I will try to get to Dallas this weekend to get her on dyno for a custom chip.
Old 08-20-2006, 05:53 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Also a nother big reason for Terminator engine failures = a pulley shorter than a 3.10 with no upgraded heat exchanger.

The Eaton creates sickening amounts of heat, a shorter pulley increases the amount of heat.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:20 PM
David_K
5th Gear Member

good point. yeah you can make over easy eggs using the eaton blowers
Old 08-20-2006, 09:37 PM
spray175
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: David_K

good point. yeah you can make over easy eggs using the eaton blowers
LOL. I put the after market heat exchanger and the intercooler tank on my car. It definately helps keep it running cooler.
Old 08-21-2006, 12:05 AM
JamesTronix
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dan04COBRA

Also a nother big reason for Terminator engine failures = a pulley shorter than a 3.10 with no upgraded heat exchanger.

The Eaton creates sickening amounts of heat, a shorter pulley increases the amount of heat.

+1
Old 08-21-2006, 12:41 AM
zincsvtcobra
2nd Gear Member

I went ahead and ordered the AFCO Pro Series from rpmoutlet. I'll get the resivoir soon, but I figure this is the better of the two for now. When I bought it, it had a 3" pulley on it already, but theres no chip in the ECU or program loaded from a tuner. How unsafe is this? Exhaust smells normal and she runs great, so I figure she's ok as long as I'm not beating up on her too much. Am I wrong?
Old 08-21-2006, 12:52 AM
JamesTronix
2nd Gear Member

You are probably ok. You don't have to get the bigger reservoir unless you just want to. You need a dyno tune though.

Quick Reply: What really kills the engine?