SVT Forums

Hey all. New guy with a few questions.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 03:20 AM
L80Killa87

Default Hey all. New guy with a few questions.

Like to greet everybody, just joined the forum. Kind of wanted to get acquainted more with the aftermarket for the 03-04 cobra. I personally own a 2002 Subaru Impreza Wrx sedan. yes yes I know a long way off of a cobra, or even a mustang. I'm joining the forum for my dad. He test drove an 04 yellow cobra yesterday and fell in love. So did I haha, I drove it too, I loved driving that car. So now he wants one, maybe not THAT one but he wants one. What is the general consensus for aftermarket mods? I was thinking picking up a diablo tuner, like a 2.75 inch pulley and belt, some ngk iridium ix, catless x pipe and a catback, and like a good cold air would be a good start. Probably a new heat exhanger too. If theres anything I should know (he should know) fill me in. Is there any difference between the hard top and the convertible? he wants a convertible but I'm like NOOOOOO buy a hard top. Course its his car so whatever. Anyways, any info would be appreciated.
Old 08-28-2006, 06:04 AM
beastzilla02
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Hey all. New guy with a few questions.

cobras rock stock and r even better if u put only like 1000 bucks in them.
Old 08-28-2006, 06:07 AM
V6MustangKnight
2nd Gear Member

well, for the question over a vert and a hard top....the verts arent really ment to speed....it would wear away the top faster and speeding with the top down will get u lots of air resistence (i think) ur better off with a hard top and get an after market moon roof...they look pretty nice. i say hard top though...ur call
Old 08-28-2006, 10:48 AM
L80Killa87

Yeah I want the hardtop, but its my dad thats buying the car. It'll be HIS car. And he wants a convertible, unless I can find out a reason why the hardtop is to much better. I already told him its lighter and is more structurally sound.
Old 08-28-2006, 02:05 PM
zincsvtcobra
2nd Gear Member

Oh contrar my unknowledgable V6 friend, the verts were meant for speed or they wouldn't have put a 400 horse engine in it. What is meant is that if you are going to do lots of racing, you'd be better off with a hardtop (a little less weight and less body flex). If not, a convert is a darn fun car to drive with the top down. Also, I HIGHLY recommend the NGK TR6 spark plugs. Stay away from the iridiums!!!!
Old 08-28-2006, 02:58 PM
L80Killa87

The iridium ix is a damn good plug. I run them in my wrx. A lot of guys do, they're a popular plug among us. They may not work best for these mustangs though. I don't know tooooo much about stangs. I know enough to get by, but not nearly as much as I know about imports and mainly subarus. What are most guys doing about tuning? Running the predator? What about the kenne bell switch chip? Any good?
Old 08-28-2006, 06:36 PM
zincsvtcobra
2nd Gear Member

Let me clarify myself. When someone has an opinion about a part around here, it is usually related to mustangs, or cobras to be specific, and not subarus or daewoos or even tractors. Anyhow, the COBRA will be much safer (less prone to detonation) and make awsome power with the NGK TR6 copper plugs as opposed to the iridium plugs. They are two heat ranges colder. I loved the iridium plugs on my GT, but now I have boost. Much differant story.
Old 08-28-2006, 06:42 PM
spray175
3rd Gear Member

Definately agree with the NGK TR6. I actually have some waiting for me to put in. Everyone runs them. You cant go wrong.
Old 08-28-2006, 06:47 PM
JamesTronix
2nd Gear Member

You should definitely upgrade the heat exchanger even if you don't change pulleys. The stock H/E is just too damn small. If you change pulleys you will need a dyno tune as well.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:28 PM
L80Killa87

Well in case you didn't know, a wrx is a turbo charged vehicle, therefore it has boost, more boost than a cobra, but I digress. I'm not trying to make enemies here. Two different breeds of cars like two different breeds of plugs. I'm fine with that. I like the aft? or whatever it is, pro heat exchanger, like 299 or somethin like that. But still, any info on which tuners? Cuz I think that'd probably be the best mod to get first, usually is in most cases.

Quick Reply: Hey all. New guy with a few questions.