SVT Forums

help!!buying a cobra

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2004, 09:30 PM
metallica895
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Options ... it's all about options

thanks everyone for your input, and yes i did have my head set on a cobra, bu if it isnt the smartest decision to make i wont do it, so would a 99' gt really be thatmuch better than the older model cobras, to where it would be insanely stupid to chose a cobra over it? i dont mind the little things but if its that big of a deal please say so, before its too late. thanks again
Old 07-15-2004, 10:18 PM
IntruderLS1
2nd Gear Member

The 99+ GT is a superior vehicle.
Old 07-15-2004, 11:17 PM
callmecobra
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: IntruderLS1

haha what??? 4v vs 2v...4cams vs 2 cams...305hp vs 265hp....how in the world is the gt better?
Old 07-16-2004, 03:47 AM
IntruderLS1
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nomocobra

ORIGINAL: IntruderLS1

haha what??? 4v vs 2v...4cams vs 2 cams...305hp vs 265hp....how in the world is the gt better?

I was under the impression that a 1994 Mustang Cobra was only putting down 240 hp, and had 2 valves per cylinder? ... I just looked back and noticed that you're batting for the 96 Cobra, but my money would still go to the newer car. Nicer body, nicer interior, hasen't been beaten and abused for years and years and years, suspension is tighter, better gas miliage, tighter gear box, ect ect ect.... Now a brand new off the lot 96 Cobra verses the 99+ GT fresh off the lot, then sure, go for the Cobra. But bro, for real, that cars going to have it's fair share of problems. It's just not worth it IMO, unless you're an avid collector of cars, and just absolutley don't care how much time, trouble, or money you spend with it. My suggestion to the poster would be to go out and test drive AT LEAST 2 of each car, and then I think the choice will be clear. Good luck to you. Oh, and if you do happen to be that avid car collector, you can get a bad *** '66 and hook it up pretty nice w/ $20k.
Just a thought though.
Old 07-16-2004, 02:11 PM
callmecobra
5th Gear Member

bro, its not hard to go out and find a cobra with 20k on it thats in better shape that it was when it rolled off the lot. yeah, sure some people just go out and beat on them, but you have to realize, its a cobra, not just an ordianry mustang, and lots of people realize that, and treat it like its their child. my 96 had 23k miles when i bought it a year ago, didnt have a ding or a scratch, clear coat was better than that of a new car, everything was "tight", not old and loose feeling. if it wasnt for the odometer, you would think it had never been driven.
Old 07-16-2004, 02:29 PM
metallica895
1st Gear Member

thats why i was leaning toward a cobra rather than any thing else, but i cant seem to find anything with low miles on it
Old 07-16-2004, 02:35 PM
Sidewayz6.0
Super Moderator

That’s what I was saying. Nomo had a point, some people take better care of the Cobras because they might be collectable someday. The problem there is you're going to PAY for it. A nice one will cost you more than a nice '99 GT. It's your call. Are you looking for a Mustang to throw a blower on and beat up on LS1's? Or do you want to start from scratch and build a motor on your own?

You need to answer that question first before any of these opinions mean a damn thing. How knowledgeable are you with a motor? Can you do most of the work yourself? Do you have the time and space for this?

Lay it all down for us. Then you can get a real educated opinion instead of these guys arguing about a 5.0 or a 4.6...
Old 07-16-2004, 03:52 PM
metallica895
1st Gear Member

well, im not too educated when it comes to engine work, id rather not do too much to the engine internally, just mainly bolt on's, but id do whatever it takes to get the car to at least beat a few vette's if not more.
Old 07-16-2004, 03:58 PM
Sidewayz6.0
Super Moderator

Then there is your answer. 99+ 4.6, strap a blower on it.
Old 07-16-2004, 05:57 PM
IntruderLS1
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nomocobra

bro, its not hard to go out and find a cobra with 20k on it thats in better shape that it was when it rolled off the lot. yeah, sure some people just go out and beat on them, but you have to realize, its a cobra, not just an ordianry mustang, and lots of people realize that, and treat it like its their child. my 96 had 23k miles when i bought it a year ago, didnt have a ding or a scratch, clear coat was better than that of a new car, everything was "tight", not old and loose feeling. if it wasnt for the odometer, you would think it had never been driven.
We're both right, and I think we both see each-others point. We're just biased one way or another. No point in arguing about it. To the poster, he's right (and like I said earlier), if you can find the 96 Cobra in brand new condition, than go for it. But it's going to take you longer to find it, and it's going to cost you more to buy it. W/ $20k, I'd go w/ the cheaper, newer car, and take care of business that way. Good luck on whichever route you decite to take.

Quick Reply: help!!buying a cobra