SVT Forums

Throttle bodies

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 11:28 PM
taviontaylon

Default Throttle bodies

Ok so I am looking for opinions and everyones knowledge. BBk's twin or accufab's oval throttle body price is my issue could a cobra even need a throttle body like the accufab or would the BBk bring in as much air as could be possibly used the difference I believe is about 300.00 bucks. My car is an 03
Old 10-02-2006, 01:39 AM
zincsvtcobra
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Throttle bodies

I haven't had any experience with the throttle body yet, but if you get one, I'd say spend the extra money and get the Accufab. Reason is because one large oval should flow alot better than twin 62mm bores. It's kind of common sense and the laws of physics. Someone correct me if I'm wrong though.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:36 PM
taviontaylon

anybody else have an opinion I agree with what you say although has anyone ran the bbk throttle body. Its just that how much air do you really need wouldn't the BBk support as much air as I would possibly need. I am sure it could take me to 800rwhp no problem right. I just feel the bling factor is involved with the accufab. When it comes to performance bling means nothing to me. Im all about the horsepower per dollar ratio.
Old 10-03-2006, 06:58 PM
freewilly
I ♥ Acer

accufab rules man with the plemun .. you can really hear the blower whine esp you cai and smaller s/c pulley
Old 10-03-2006, 08:29 PM
David_K
5th Gear Member

An accufab on a 03 cobra will make like 25hp i swear ive seen it on 3 different cobras
Old 10-03-2006, 11:07 PM
CobraBob
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: David_K

An accufab on a 03 cobra will make like 25hp i swear ive seen it on 3 different cobras
David, the Accufab on its own won't make that much power. Trust me. I had the Accufab TB/Plenum on my '03 Cobra. Picked up a whopping 9rwhp. That is about the norm - 8-15rwhp. I've been around Terminators since 2002 and have seen and heard the good, the bad, and the ugly. LOL! 25hp without a change in the tune (to make additional power) or another mod. Go over to SVTPerformance.com and do a search on the Accufab and you'll quickly see it is not one of the better bang-for-your-buck mods. What it DOES do is vastly improve throttle response. That throttle response improvement can "feel" like more power, but it isn't. Would I spend the money again just for the improved throttle response knowing it doesn't get you a big power increase? Yep! I sure would.
Old 10-03-2006, 11:09 PM
SpecterGT260
5th Gear Member

I believe the "dragon" brand is made by a previous designer of accufab. I was pro BBK (price/product ratio) but that one is cheap too and is pretty close to the accufab so ive heard.
Old 10-04-2006, 03:50 AM
zincsvtcobra
2nd Gear Member

Tavion, what mods do you have already? Just wondering if the money could be better spent as far as HP/TQ goes.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:19 AM
CobraBob
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: zincsvtcobra

I haven't had any experience with the throttle body yet, but if you get one, I'd say spend the extra money and get the Accufab. Reason is because one large oval should flow alot better than twin 62mm bores. It's kind of common sense and the laws of physics. Someone correct me if I'm wrong though.
The Accufab is a single blade/bore inlet vs. the dual blade stock inlet. Companies like Stiegemier Porting who port the stock TB and plenum retail the dual bore inlet which reduces the air flow. So an Accufab single bore will flow more air and has the potential to make more power. Here are some comparative numbers.

Dual Bore Stock TB/Plenum -- 878 CFM (Stiegemier's data)
Dual Blade/Bore Stiegemier ported TB/Plenum -- 991 CFM with a 12hp gain (Stiegemier's data)
Single Blade/Bore Accufab ported TB/Plenum -- 1700 CFM with a 25hp claim by Accufab (Accufab's data), but remember they are marketing a product so the number would be on the high side. You would need to know the amount of power the setup they used was making. I would suspect their 25hp claim was with a 600+hp setup.

Here is some information from Kenne Bell (http://www.kennebell.net/techinfo/fo...ngTechTips.pdf) for an Accufab throttle body. I tend to believe Kenne Bell's data since Accufab obviously wants to hype their own product and we don't know anything about the setup from which they derived their data. Throttle Body added HP @

0HP @ 400HP

4HP @ 450HP

8HP @ 500HP

10HP @ 550HP

Looking at this, a setup producing 500hp is good for an 8hp gain with the Accufab. And 10hp with a 550hp setup. So as you can see above, the more air your engine needs if you have supporting mods, the more air the aftermarket TB will move. If you don't have a ported blower or an aftermarket blower, I think the TB would be a waste of money. Although the improved throttle response of the Accufab is a plus. With a pulley/ported blower or aftermarket blower, it makes sense to get the TB.

There have also been some idle issues with the single blades.

But which one makes more power? The one that has the POTENTIAL to move more air to make more power if you have the supporting mods is the single blade Accufab (or Billetflow, which is out of production right now).
Old 10-05-2006, 02:01 AM
taviontaylon

Thanks guys that is exactly the kind of info i was looking for I don't think I will ever upgrade the blower. What is the best pulley setup for the stock charger right know I run a 2.75 inch pulley on the blower. I would love to upgrade it but I am going through a divorce right know and my attorney bills are climbing fast but I do have custody of my 2 year old son. Thanks again guys knowledge is definitely power even in cars.

Quick Reply: Throttle bodies