SVT Forums

Engine Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 09:32 PM
Mr_Cobra
1st Gear Member

Default Engine Question

With the 03-04 cobra i hear all these things about engine damage if you have a bad tune or doing high speed runs and you may run normal times yet your engine has serious problems and you may not really realize. what are the signs to look for? noises, performance?

I have done 1 run that i ran out most of 4th gear and got on up there in speed. I know not to push high speed runs in 5th or 6th. As you can see in my sig i do have cooling mods to help, will these cooling mods keep me from such problems?
Old 11-11-2006, 11:35 PM
burning the tiers
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Engine Question

dont hold me to it but you might want a bigger beter cold air intake. another bonus is that it will boost your preformance and up your hp a bit
Old 11-13-2006, 05:04 AM
zincsvtcobra
2nd Gear Member

A lack of tuning on any s/c or highly modded car will cause severe engine damage, not just the cobras. A tuner is great, but a dyno tune is the best because your car will can get a safe tune (the air/fuel ratio being the key here). As far as the runs go, its the heat created by a smaller s/c pulley that will kill the engine. A good aftermarket heat exchanger and dyno tune will leave you with minimal worries as long as you're not constantly going pedal to the metal.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:06 PM
AllVenom
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: zincsvtcobra

A lack of tuning on any s/c or highly modded car will cause severe engine damage, not just the cobras. A tuner is great, but a dyno tune is the best because your car will can get a safe tune (the air/fuel ratio being the key here). As far as the runs go, its the heat created by a smaller s/c pulley that will kill the engine. A good aftermarket heat exchanger and dyno tune will leave you with minimal worries as long as you're not constantly going pedal to the metal.
Not entirely true. Its not the heat of the supercharger killing the engine, it is the poor design of the heads not allowing coolant to flow properly to the back cylinders. Your best bet is to get the LDC cooling mod to help out and also get the updated heads.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:49 AM
zincsvtcobra
2nd Gear Member

I disagree and think that it is entirely true. Not saying that your input is not true at all, but I think that it is in addition to what I said. Anyhow, what it the LDC mod and where can I get it?
Old 11-14-2006, 08:18 PM
AllVenom
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: zincsvtcobra

I disagree and think that it is entirely true. Not saying that your input is not true at all, but I think that it is in addition to what I said. Anyhow, what it the LDC mod and where can I get it?
I'm telling you, no heat from the s/c is going to harm your engine. The pistons are cooking because the heads are not allowing coolant to flow properly, thus, blown engines. Everyone says the pistons are the weak part of the engine, which is entirely over-stated and over-used. It is the excessive heat in the back two pistons 7 and 8, I believe that is causing damage, not over-spinning your Heaton(unless you have a crappy tune). The LDC mod can be found here: http://www.ldcchicago.com/.

Spend some time on modularfords.com, there are tons of more knowledgeable people there than me, but you will find the same thing there.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:13 PM
Solomon Grundy
1st Gear Member

From personal experience, my engine damage came from a clogged fuel filter and a lean canned-tune by the DiabloSport tuner. I switched to SCT xcalibrator and got the best tuner in town to run it on his dyno, and all is well.

Listen for sounds of light ticking or gravel being thrown at your bumper, that's what my pinging/detonation sounded like. I only heard the sound at WOT from 3/4th gear, and low rpms in 5th and 6th.