SVT Forums

03 Snake losing its value?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2004, 01:48 AM
tha Termin8or

Default 03 Snake losing its value?

I was looking at prices recently at autotrader.com for SVT Cobra's (since I'm looking to get one this spring) and I saw some sub-25k prices that shocked me. I figured high 20s at the least, but none as low as I saw.

I know all cars lose their value over the years, but I thought the Cobra (particularly the 03-04s) would hold a little better. This is good news to me, but bad for people who aren't looking to keep their car very long. This might also be due to the readily-availability of these cars, but this is the "Terminator". Not many cars can light a candle to these cars stock, let alone slightly modded.

Then again, I could be entirely wrong on the rate of depreciation(sp).
Old 10-14-2004, 08:16 AM
rtm
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 03 Snake losing its value?

Here is an excerpt from another board.

I'm a Manager for a Large Ford Dealer and have seen this happen many times before.A new model comes out and incentives get large and the previous Model becomes "Distressed Merchandise" so to speak.
It also has alot to do with the Market in your part of the Country.
In Detroit Everyone is "A,Z,X or D Plan,and Dealers HAVE to accept a short deal or another will.
The farther West you travel the more these Limited Production Vehicles will bring.
Most Dealers out here will not accept Plan Pricing on SVT's.Most also have large Addendums in addition to MSRP pricing.
For example,we [in the Southwest] are starting to see a rebound in the SVT Lightning's as they are getting to be few and far between and there won't be any New Models Produced for at least 18-24 mos.
I believe once the Novelty of the NEW 'Stang wears off and Hertz/Budget etc buy up several thousand for Rental Cars.The Limited Edition '03-'04 Cobras will "rebound" and bring more Money.
-Hang in there a few months and you'll be fine!
With what he was saying and the fact that there will not be another Cobra until late 06, I think these cars will do okay. Also nobody knows how mod-friendly the new Cobra will be.

Todd
Old 10-14-2004, 10:45 AM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

None of the Cobra's have really retained a healthy value. It's typical, as much as Corvette owners claim they hold value, they don't. They just get this false illusion from paying 45-55k for a car, 30,000 miles later to book in the 30 grand area...
Old 10-19-2004, 12:06 PM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

There is a modding factor, in that the 03-04 Cobras that were modded will fetch a lot less $ than bone stock ones. I have generally seen used 03-04 that were stock going for more than modded cars, even some with thousands dumped in. Tell you what cracks me up, are the 03-4 cobras for sale in mustang trader with semi-low miles, where the owner wants or is trying to get neart sticker price. They often say, "as good as new" or "better than new". I gaunantee that the owner that is saying, "better than new", advertising his/her car with, say, 2000 miles hasn't broken the car in right. Near sticker for a cobra that was probably abused? No way. To find a cobra owner selling an 03-04 with low miles, that was not raved or abused is like trying to find Osama BinLaden. Before I bought my S281E Saleen last year about this time, I was considering buying an 03-04 Cobra, and heavily modding it. I never went this route, mostly because I knew after a couple years the car would be worth very little compared to the selling price. No value or equity. That's why I bought the S281E. If you want to buy a mustang that will hold it's value the best, get a Saleen. The secret here is to find one that is a good deal, and buy it right.
Old 10-19-2004, 01:42 PM
rtm
2nd Gear Member

I don't think you can be perfectly sure that any sports car you buy used has not been "broken in".

I have been very happy with my purchase. I also belive that the value will not drop like the way you are making it sound. As far as prices, well demand for the car will dictate that.

Granted it's not a Saleen, but it's still a one of a kind car that has that certain "mystique" about it that Ford fans love.
Old 10-19-2004, 02:12 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

The price of Cobra's have held VERY well, and the main reason Saleens hold their value well is because the typical Saleen owner puts very little miles on their car. Imagine even a 98 Cobra... how much would it be worth right now with just 8k miles? Probably about 18k ... Thats what, 70% of retail? Thats the same thing Saleens are bringing give or take. I mean, why buy a Saleen when a Cobra is 25k less than a 281e? I dunno about you, but for half of 25k I can have a much nicer car than Saleen ever dreamed of building in a Mustang. Hell for 3k I could do that. Sorry, Im not trying to knock on Saleens as they are very nice cars - but their not the end-all. You can buy a Cobra "right" and keep the mileage low and re-sell and MAKE money just like a Saleen.
Old 10-19-2004, 07:54 PM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

I hear that, if you buy anything right, it's worth it. I'm certainly not knocking new cobras. -But it cracks me up to see some guy in mustang trader trying to get $34,000 for an 03 cobra coupe with 5,000 miles on it. I do feel sorry for all those early bird individuals that paid well over sticker for theirs. Cobras certainly kill gt's for resale value, though. It will be interesting to see what people will be paying for 05 gt's. -And it will also be interesting to see what 05 gt's will be selling for in the fall of 05.
Old 10-20-2004, 02:46 AM
callmecobra
5th Gear Member

high 20s would be outrageous for a used cobra...i remember when they were clearing out the 03's....you could get one for 28 something at the local dealer here.
Old 10-20-2004, 03:02 AM
00GT00
2nd Gear Member

You don't buy a car to make money off of it! You buy it to drive it, anyone who pays 50grand for something they are afraid to drive because the miles keep clicking is insane! If you want decent resale buy a Toyota. The best idea is to keep the mileage under 40-50K and sell it 4 years into a 5 year warranty. Trust me, people like the "false" security of 10-20K or a year left of factory warranty. Plus the number of people who have done this, drove the car on an average basis(less than 10k a year), after that amount of time is slim to none. So in theory you have the best car for someone who is in the market for a USED sports car.

Disclaimer: this is not meant to hurt any feelings, I am still new here, lol. Just giving an idea. Thanks
Old 10-31-2004, 09:07 PM
DUB 6
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: tha Termin8or

I was looking at prices recently at autotrader.com for SVT Cobra's (since I'm looking to get one this spring) and I saw some sub-25k prices that shocked me. I figured high 20s at the least, but none as low as I saw.

I know all cars lose their value over the years, but I thought the Cobra (particularly the 03-04s) would hold a little better. This is good news to me, but bad for people who aren't looking to keep their car very long. This might also be due to the readily-availability of these cars, but this is the "Terminator". Not many cars can light a candle to these cars stock, let alone slightly modded.

Then again, I could be entirely wrong on the rate of depreciation(sp).
Yeah i saw some online as low as $21,000 it had 50,000 miles...Not to many people want used 03-04 cobra's...they know their taking a big risk when it comes to buying them...most are beatin like crazy on a regular basis..