SVT Forums

x-pipe or H-pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 03:46 AM
jtiz

Default x-pipe or H-pipe?

so, i have some borla cat back stingers on my 01 cobra and it sounds great but... i still dont have all the sound i want or the hp gain. i was thinking of swaping out for some x or h pipes and didnt know if you guys would have some advice on which to go with. i have found a cheap bbk x pipe of a 96 cobra for $100 but need to make sure it will fit my car first b4 i buy. also iwatched a video of a nice mach one on youtube with what the owner said were some "low flow mrt pipes"with the borla exhaust and it sounds nasty... but i went on the mrt page and cant find any "low flow pipes" if anyone has any info about these pipes hit me up... or just any advice on which pipes to get lemme know. thanks!
Old 04-11-2007, 01:27 PM
ponysnake99
4th Gear Member

Default RE: x-pipe or H-pipe?

may have just been the owner playin around with the name. MRT makes "max-flow" h-pipes, but no low flows i know of. Both H and X pipes make similar numbers, so i would chose which mid-pipe based on sound. 4.6 has an exhaust section with a few cobras in it if your looking to distinguish between x and h sounds. As for the 96 exhaust, couldn't help you, but I'm willing to say no it won't work
Old 04-11-2007, 04:05 PM
italia18
3rd Gear Member

or just any advice on which pipes to get lemme know.
dunno about that mrt buisness but I'll tell you what I know about X's and H's.

H-pipe has a nice low agressive growl. Although it doesnt rip, itll still scream at 5k rpm. Its nice if your mroe conservative about your sound, and like the low throaty rumble and growl rather than raw ripping.

X-pipe almost sounds like the exhaust is blasting your pipes apart haha. You can hear it ripping down the tubes when hooked up to the right exhaust system. Only thing with the X-pipe is that its alot tin-ier sounding than the h pipe is, but its alot more agressive and defenitely more raw.

Both pipes are great, and theres no performance advantage over the other. So listen to both, and find out which you like the best. Note that alot of it also depends on the exhaust system you run..for example I have an H-pipe hooked to a flowmaster system, so I get alot of throaty-ness and alot of growl, but its not brash or earspliting loud.. its defenitely loud, just not SLP insane haha.

Also I dont think the 96 will fit, cause every company who sells exhaust systems always distinguishes the sn-95 systems and the newer mustang systems, so something somewhere has to be different.
Old 04-13-2007, 02:55 AM
jtiz

thnx alot guys thatsa great start for me!!
Old 04-13-2007, 03:50 AM
jtiz

so i know i want a mac h pipe now... but i want to just buy the pipe and when i looked around i saw shorty h pipes and long tube h pipes from mac. are the shorty pipes just made to fit to the mac long tube headers or will they bolt straight on to my stock headers in my 01 cobra. also if i get o/r pipes does that mean i have to eliminate my stock cat's to put on the pipe or does the h-pipe just bolt onto the cats...?
Old 04-13-2007, 04:55 AM
MuscleOwnzRice
4th Gear Member

wait what? why would you want low flow? anywho I like my bbk x pipe though
Old 04-13-2007, 05:59 AM
01vertcobra
1st Gear Member

If the H pipes are like x-pipes besides the obvious difference than your cats come out. Depending on the one you get you'll have two cats or no cats at all. Personally, ive heard a lot of exaust and I have the Bassani x-pipe with cats and Bassani cat back and its mean as hell, but to each his own.