SVT Forums

03-04 SVT Cobra questions from a newbie

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 02:30 PM
2002GTAUTOVERT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 03-04 SVT Cobra questions from a newbie

ORIGINAL: italia10588

In my opinion.. and not all of you will share this opinion with me but..

who gives a sh it about warranties? Its a muscle car. Its meant to be taken apart and heavily modded. Thats how they've always been ever since our parents were kids.

just my 2 cents. Not everyone will agree. I'm not looking to start an argument with anyone, just saying.
i agree with most of that post, however, in the good old days, there was alot less electrical and carbs were easier to work on. now, everything is controlled by the computer and you need atune to do any type of modding on these modulars. but honestly, if you got the warranty on the car, and mod it, you have to accept and expect it to be voided. if you can only afford a cobra, and not the repairs on it, go look for a mach 1.
Old 06-09-2007, 02:53 AM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

Poisnd, I sold Fords as well, but that means nothing. Even though your correct in saying that the warranty is only voided when they can attribute that part failure to the part that was installed, more times then not a smaller pulley can and will void almost any warranty on any part. If they wanted to, they could. Just like placing a O/R exhaust can. They can attribute almost any part failure to that. Also, technically, if you're seen racing your car at the track, your warranty is also voided. There are tons of parts, and most of which are our basic Terminator mods: Pulley, intake, exhaust - that can and will void a warranty if anything breaks and the dealer wants to be a ****tard.

For your example... the pulley... the pulley can be attributed to more heat and stress on the motor due to the high boost, Ford will tell you that because of your higher boost/heat you forced the water pump to be overworked, breaking the pump.

The solution.. find a mod friendly dealer [8D]

ORIGINAL: POISND U

Also... mods... Basically most any mod will void the warranty on these cars.. the bright side, is that most or all of them don't have one anymore, so you don't need to worry about it much - unless u get the extended warranty on it. Good luck buying a stock Cobra, they are few and far between. The nice thing about the Fords.. are that since they're modular motors, and we basically share motors with other cars, there will always be parts if we really need them.
Not totally accurate. I can't say I've ever heard of an entire warranty voided from any mod and I soldFords for 5 years. I have heard of obvious pulley tampering (scratches) responsible for denied warranty claims. Usually the dealer will insinuate the mod caused the failure, which may or may not be true. So many things can happen here.

Forexample:

You strap on a pulley and have a TOTALLY UNRELATED part failure, like say, your water pump. The dealer usually will blame it on the first thing they see that isn't stock (service writers usually don't know ****), and not only refuse to fix it, but flag your car in Ford's database making future warranty claims really are hard to get done. Those familiar with mods are usually much more understanding. This leaves you with arguing with Ford and losing.

The best things you can do are:

1. If you have a part failure, call a stealership somewhere else that will never see the car and ask them a "hypothetical" question about your problem.

2. Remove as much evidence as possible that the car's been modified.

3. Build a relationship with a service writer that's familiar and understanding with modded Cobras.

Old 06-09-2007, 12:01 PM
evil monkey
1st Gear Member

Now say you started off by changing your exhaust Long tube headers (X) or (H) pipe with HF cats and side exhaust. Would that be a void? I have noticed that some companies put in there ads will not void warranty
Old 06-09-2007, 01:38 PM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

Basically anything you change that causes a part failure, kills your warranty. Headers I was told voids your drivetrain warranty, but thas a bit harder to prove, how that caused your engine/tranny to blow up... ya know?
Old 06-09-2007, 09:11 PM
evil monkey
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: xxkazp3rxx

Basically anything you change that causes a part failure, kills your warranty. Headers I was told voids your drivetrain warranty, but thas a bit harder to prove, how that caused your engine/tranny to blow up... ya know?
LoL Damned if you do and SOL if you don't