SVT Forums

Mysterious Cobra

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 07:25 PM
rdoonanco

Default Mysterious Cobra

Sorry if this is very to the point since my computer deleted my message twice after typing what seemd like a billion words.
I had my car (97SVT Cobra) parked outside for the winter. Come spring i dug it out of the snow and decided to take it to town. I let it warm up for a long time after checking the fluids which were good. I took it to town (20km approx) Fueled it up with 91 octane (highest i can get at the pumps) Changed the battery. Cruised it around town for a while. took it down the highway for a good haul. It ran good until my way back to town. Then it seemed really rich. Was smoking black smoke from the tailpaipes and didn't really want to stay running. It wanted to stall out at idle. I had to keep on the throttle to keep it running. I nursed it home. Made about 170km and burned the entire tank of fuel. The check engine light was coming on last fall but the car still ran good. I got afriend to scan it an he pulled a computer failure code. We deleted the code and i kept driving it. The car ran fine except for idling itself up when rolling up to a red light. I trailered the car to calgary which is 5 hours away and had my uncle's buddy look at it. They did a compression test and founf that cylinders 7 and 8 were at50-60 PSI the rest around 150PSI. They "scrubbed" the cylinders... whatever thatmeant. The car seemed to run better they said. Although i haven'tgot to drive it yet. This compressiontest and scrub costed me something like 500 or 600 bucks... I'm not sure what the hell happened to my car and i really don't know what to do anymore. I don't want to take it to anyone anymore. I have enough mechanicfriends and knowledge myself that i'll do what i have to myself to get it fixed. It seems like all these guys just want to screw me instead of fix my car. Any feedback would be muchly appreciated! Oh yeah the car had 4:10 gears and a procharger with intercooler and it's running about 6psi boost. Pretty sure that's all the engine mods it has.The guy i bought the car fromhad all the work done. Had all the receipts to prove it too. Including every oil change...