SVT Forums

serious pulley question

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 04:16 AM
robbylozzi

Default serious pulley question

i know it adds HP...alot infact. will it take years off the life of the supercharger and engine???

serious question. i dont need the few extra horses if its gonna die quicker than normal.......

CAI and X pipes is enough if this is the case

Rob
Old 07-31-2007, 11:44 AM
Blownsvt
5th Gear Member

Default RE: serious pulley question

i would say that it probaly will take some life away from the supercharger being that it is turning so much faster. It is tough to say how much though since theres not really any cars out there with more than 50k on them yet. the stock blowers are a dime a dozen on ebay anyway, so it isn't like if you wreck the blower the car is history or anything.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:35 PM
CobraBob
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: serious pulley question

If you keep the boost to a moderate 13-14 lbs. you likely won't see any shortened supercharger life. I've been a member over on SVTP since 2002 and have seen my share of modded Terminators. To date I have yet to hear of a supercharger failing due to running higher boost. That said, if you overspin the blower substantially (check the boost chart here to see how the blower rpms vary - http://www.stangshiftergaskets.com/2...m#_Toc35092361) you should expect "some" shortened life. How much is uncertain, like BlownSVT said. Another factor is how often you go to max boost. Kind of like comparing a car where the driver drives very easy vs. the same car driven by someone who always has the pedal to the metal. I wouldn't be overly concerned. Oh, if you port the blower (ie. at Stiegemeier) you will have a more efficient blower. One more capable of handle a bit more boost and higher rpms.

As far as the engine, the Terminator motor is very strong right from the factory. If you keep the power level in the 450-480rwhp range you will likely see a very long engine life. Push the power to higher levels and you'll progressively approach the point where some of the motor components (pistons would be one area) are pushed beyond their engineered limits. We've seen more blown engines and subsequent built motors like from VT (which would give you a stronger motor able to handle more power obviously) in the past year as more and more people swap for a twin-screw blower or twin turbo and climb to the 600+rwhp level.