SVT Forums

01 cobra or 03/04 cobra

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 01:40 PM
POISND U
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 01 cobra or 03/04 cobra

My canned response to this question:

How many people do you think are going to tell you not to?
Old 08-29-2007, 02:53 PM
Ellik
2nd Gear Member

so besides the heads, you really do have a Terminator+ setup. the P&P '01 heads should be flowing slightly better than stock '03/04 heads. Aside from going with a stroker crank, do you think you gained anything on the iron block that you couldnt have gotten with forging the aluminum block? Just a little bigger margin of safety? Just trying to understand why you decided to go iron-block, but if you blew 2 aluminum blocks I can understand..... but they were both stock spec, right?

My plan is to install the mountain of crap I've got accumulating in the garage this winter, andput a Kenne Bell 2.1BigBore on next summer, then forging the bottom end when the need arises. With the Kenne Bell you get the Terminator lower intake and intercooler setup. Basically and aluminum block Termy. The only downside I see to the aluminum block is a write-up that the location of the pulleys on the aluminum block prevent you from using the larger 2.4 and 2.6 blower setups. Dont know what the conflict is for sure, but the 2.1 is rated up to 750HP. I suppose that is enough.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:09 PM
mfj
Banned

ORIGINAL: Ellik

so besides the heads, you really do have a Terminator+ setup. the P&P '01 heads should be flowing slightly better than stock '03/04 heads. Aside from going with a stroker crank, do you think you gained anything on the iron block that you couldnt have gotten with forging the aluminum block? Just a little bigger margin of safety? Just trying to understand why you decided to go iron-block, but if you blew 2 aluminum blocks I can understand..... but they were both stock spec, right?

My plan is to install the mountain of crap I've got accumulating in the garage this winter, andput a Kenne Bell 2.1BigBore on next summer, then forging the bottom end when the need arises. With the Kenne Bell you get the Terminator lower intake and intercooler setup. Basically and aluminum block Termy. The only downside I see to the aluminum block is a write-up that the location of the pulleys on the aluminum block prevent you from using the larger 2.4 and 2.6 blower setups. Dont know what the conflict is for sure, but the 2.1 is rated up to 750HP. I suppose that is enough.
well my heads got a major porting job done to them ($2500) without the labor of removing the heads. i'll ask again what are the exact specs, but these heads were made for high boost applications and flow a lot better than the stock 03/04 cobra heads. Iron block is just for added safety. im on a break in tune right now. but with 30 lbs of boost on my motor i should be putting out something north of 850rwhp. Reminder this is a 5.1 L stroker cobra motor. so i wanted, for insurance, the strongest supportin mods available.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:54 PM
wgdt21
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mfj

well my heads got a major porting job done to them ($2500) without the labor of removing the heads. i'll ask again what are the exact specs, but these heads were made for high boost applications and flow a lot better than the stock 03/04 cobra heads. Iron block is just for added safety. im on a break in tune right now. but with 30 lbs of boost on my motor i should be putting out something north of 850rwhp. Reminder this is a 5.1 L stroker cobra motor. so i wanted, for insurance, the strongest supportin mods available.
can I borrow just like, 1 or 2 hundred of those ponies?
Old 08-29-2007, 04:24 PM
Ellik
2nd Gear Member

GOD DAMN. what kind of fuel upgrades do you have to support that? did you go to the '03 style tank, or still have the stocker with big-*** pumps? How are the street manners on this car?
Old 08-29-2007, 04:30 PM
01snake
5th Gear Member

i am in the same situation as you but i am 18

if i sell it before winter i am gonna upgrade to a 2003 cobra or 2002 z06

otherwise this winter it will be more of a monster

if money isint an issue then go for it
Old 08-29-2007, 06:10 PM
mfj
Banned

GOD DAMN. what kind of fuel upgrades do you have to support that? did you go to the '03 style tank, or still have the stocker with big-*** pumps? How are the street manners on this car?
a $2300 fuel system from psr. return style fuel system. car is very streetable. just cant floor it unless im racing from a 5th gear role, lol!! but seriously, its on a break in tune. as long as ur not into boost, theres no problems.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:13 PM
mfj
Banned

and by the way, all my upgrades cost me over $36k. But i didnt leave any weak links so it was worth it. this includes motor, supercharger, transmission, drivetrain, suspension, fuel, and all that good stuff.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:51 PM
CobraBob
2nd Gear Member

If you're happy with what you have, I'd keep it. The 2003/2004 Cobra is a better car for sure, but typical cost of ownership is way higher simply because it is so easy to mod them. So the costs can climb quickly. I guess if you could discipline yourself to be content with the "simple" mods like intake, exhaust, slightly smaller pulley and tune to keep it in the 440-450rwhp range you'll be fine. But it is hard to do that because, again, there is always the temptation to push the envelope. There are a ton of engine, suspension, wheel, tire, body, and interior mods available. It just seems that most owners of earlier Cobras don't mod them as extensively. At least on the average. JMO.

Oh, if you're thinking about buying a used 2003/2004 Cobra, read the info regard buying a used Terminator on my website Terminator FAQ page.There is a lot of other good, basic information for new Terminator owners there as well. http://www.stangshiftergaskets.com/2...m#_Toc35092330