SVT Forums

KB or Whipple?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 05:13 PM
spray175
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: KB or Whipple?

The 2.3 whipple will out perform the 2.2 and 2.6 kb. At least thats what ive heard. It all personal preference really.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:53 PM
ZO6AINTPOOP
1st Gear Member

How is your set up coming along ?
Old 10-03-2007, 05:57 PM
spray175
3rd Gear Member

Um its in the shop now. It should be done by the end of next week.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:02 AM
PushinTheLimit
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mfj

ORIGINAL: goldeneagle_10

but whipple's 3.4L is the ultimate supercharger upgrade! The 3.4 is the terminator of the twin screws!!
I honestly would not ever get this unless it was strictly a strip only car. You have to have a different hood or modified hood to make it even fit. Theres some threads about this over on svtp where its not performed as some thought it would. Might wanna read up on it some more before you think its the "terminator of the twin screws." Sometimes, bigger is not always better.
ummmmm, i have read up on it! duh! lol! you do not need a different hood, just need to notch the stock one, unless ur running a lot of boost, then u dont need to do anything because the pulley will be small enough to clear it. I dont see y u would only get it for the strip. And yes, bigger is better.No replacement for displacement, even with superchargers!! It produces boost, more efficiently than any other twin screw in the cobra aftermarket, with cooler temps, and with equal boost levels, u'll get more hp out of the 3.4L than any kb.

but i really really REALLYhate when ppl come in here telling me to read up before posting!! Especially when i have read up!!!! but thats okay, i'll let that slide.

BTW, MY HOOD NEEDED NO MODIFYING!
Yea, you might get more HP out of the 3.4L... but at what PSI level? Its gonna have to be in the mid 20's before you really start seeing a difference in it. Most people will not see over 20 psi so its not worth to get the 3.4L Whipple if your not boosting it at least 22-28 psi or so. Anthing over 19psi and you are running either some torco or race gas. Any boost level at 19psi or lower, you will see just about the same results from the 2.3L Whipple, 2.6LH KB or the 2.8LH KB. They are all so close, its really a matter of personal preference from there.

Bigger displacement is not always better. It takes more to turn the 3.4L than it does the 2.3L which is obvious of course. I'm just going with what alot of people are saying... the 2.3L Whipple is great for daily driving, some track and some strip use. The 3.4L to get your money's worth needs to be boosted really high... otherwise, you should've just went with the 2.3L Whipple.

I dare say compare your numbers at 17psi with a 3.4L to that of a 2.3L and they will be very similiar.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:03 AM
mfj
Banned

yeah
Old 10-10-2007, 07:41 PM
tenmiledaddy
1st Gear Member

I should be getting my 03 Cobra Convertible next week. I put it in the shop at Strictly Performance in Houston, Texas and I am getting a 3.4 Whipple installed. Along with Stage 5 or Level 5 Half Shafts, IRS brace, bushings changed, New state of the art fuel system, which includes something called a top hat, sub-frame connectors, New Flundyne radiator, and I was told I would be pushing 600 + rwhp. I'll let you guys know how it's doing when I get it back and drive it a bit. Wish me luck.................
Old 10-10-2007, 07:49 PM
mfj
Banned

with the 3.4L whipple, i sure hope u will be pushing a lot more than 600 rwhp
Old 10-11-2007, 12:32 PM
AllVenom
3rd Gear Member

with the 3.4L whipple, i sure hope u will be pushing a lot more than 600 rwhp
I'm sure they told him this reliably and safely. Running around on the street with anything more than 600hp is not that much fun, especially when the rain starts to fall. He can always have a track tune and pulley to really crank out the power when he needs it.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:16 PM
mfj
Banned

well he doenst have to have the pulley to reduce the hp. my street tune has almost no timing (ofcourse exaggerating) so i can run the same boost with the same pulley, but be making over 100 hp less than the race tune on the same boost..
Old 10-20-2007, 10:07 PM
hockey24

Tenmiledaddy - Strictly does good work and I highly recommend them. They did most of the work on my 03. Sounds like you are doing much of the same things done to mine. I'm running 640 rwhp. There is one caviat (sp?). Make sure you inspect their rear end work. When I got mine back they ran the rear brake line wrong and it cut into the CV boot. Needless to say it cost a couple of hundred to have that replaced. Are you having any gear work done?

Quick Reply: KB or Whipple?