SVT Forums

Cobra stalling when clutch is pushed in

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 09:46 AM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

Default Cobra stalling when clutch is pushed in

I think I already know, but I'm here for confirmation and other ideas just in case. When I'm driving down the road, and I think especially if I had the RPMs above 3k-4k, then hit the clutch, twice now it has just turned off. First time I was going around a corner and lost power steering, second I was going down a hill and lost power braking, either could have been worse so I need to get this fixed.

I'm going to assume that the most likely cause is a dirty/bad IAC? What do you guys usually use to clean those with, just something like carb cleaner? Thanks.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:46 AM
mfj
Banned

Default RE: Cobra stalling when clutch is pushed in

well as for ur power steering and brakes, they are connected because of hydroboost. if one fails, so will the other. i really dont think its a dirty/bad iac. sounds like something else.... give me a couple of hours to ponder this one....
Old 10-17-2007, 10:53 AM
Ellik
2nd Gear Member

Try hitting the clutch and giving it gas to bring up the rpms at the same time. If its the IAC, you should be able to keep it from stalling by giving it a little gas to pull air directly through the throttle instead relying on the bypass. Its tricky, but you can do it.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:55 AM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mfj

well as for ur power steering and brakes, they are connected because of hydroboost. if one fails, so will the other. i really dont think its a dirty/bad iac. sounds like something else.... give me a couple of hours to ponder this one....
No, as in it stalled and the engine was off. I was just saying that's what made me notice it both times and I looked down and saw 0 RPMs.

ORIGINAL: Ellik

Try hitting the clutch and giving it gas to bring up the rpms at the same time. If its the IAC, you should be able to keep it from stalling by giving it a little gas to pull air directly through the throttle instead relying on the bypass. Its tricky, but you can do it.
It does it pretty quick after letting off the clutch. It's not something it does every time, just twice now, so I haven't noticed it almost dying to tap the gas.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:26 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

Hmm... I read up at svtperformance and learned a lot about this. Apparently everyone has come to the conclusion that this is a problem that is caused by an issue in the computer code, and a TSB issued with a reflash of the computer will fix it. I'll have to bring it to the tuner and have them reflash the tune with the newer software.

I'll go ahead and try cleaning the IAC, TB, and MAF though. Can't hurt.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:02 PM
antiv6
5th Gear Member

your rpms could be dropping to low if your not tunes, i know there was a tsb to up the rpms at idle from ford
Old 10-18-2007, 07:04 AM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: antiv6

your rpms could be dropping to low if your not tunes, i know there was a tsb to up the rpms at idle from ford
Yeah, I called into the local shop to set something up.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:23 AM
antiv6
5th Gear Member

you should be good then also ive heard of people stalling in neutral from their cold air intake but not sure
Old 10-18-2007, 03:29 PM
5speedstang
4th Gear Member

when you put your jlt rai on did you put the screen back in before the MAF. if not that is your problem. the screen gives an even flow over the MAF and it gets a more accurate reading. thats what your problem is. and you need to make sure the screen is stright up and down with the MAF.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:12 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 5speedstang

when you put your jlt rai on did you put the screen back in before the MAF. if not that is your problem. the screen gives an even flow over the MAF and it gets a more accurate reading. thats what your problem is. and you need to make sure the screen is stright up and down with the MAF.
I didn't put the CAI on, and I haven't had a chance to get in and mess with anything recently. I don't get a garage at my apartment complex until the 28th, and it's been rainy, so my Cobra is parked at my parents house a few miles away. I still don't have the registration straightened out yet either, so I'm just waiting until probably Monday, then I'll head back and pick it up. When I do I'll clean the IAC, TB, and MAF like I was saying and make sure everything is in the right spot. I think it's just dashpot decay rate issue though. I'll come back and let everyone know when I figure it out so it will be noted for the future.

Quick Reply: Cobra stalling when clutch is pushed in