SVT Forums

Advice anyone??

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 07:22 PM
x_raiderx_x

Default Advice anyone??

I've got a 99 cobra with a sct livewire tuner, freeflowing exhaust to side pipes, 410 gears, rebuilt engine with 10K miles......Ok, so I one day checked my oil and noticed I was a little low, so I added a quart. And stupid me left the oil cap off on the shelf in my garage. So, I'm at taco bell the next day, and all the sudden I start smoking out my hood. I go home immediately and check it out to find the cap is off, and oil is everywhere in my engine bay on the drivers side. I degreased the engine the next day, to let the car cool down. I let the car dry about 2 hours and the took it out.

Now, whenever my car gets warmed up, it starts to almost bog down. My exhaust gets a real deep sound to it, like it is muffled, and when I give it more throttle, it fluctuates back and forth between deep bass exhaust and normal sounding exhaust. If I get up to 60 in third, or 4th, the problem goes away. When I stop, the car also makes the deep muffler sound as I idle. I havn't really driven it since, but I did just change the oil, just in case something got in there when the cap was off.

I'm thinking MAF, wires, plugs......but I don't wanna waste money, after I already basically replaced these things less than a year ago when I did a full tune up. Anythoughts greatly appreciated. Trying to save money and do it myself...so let me know guys.

TSWEN
Old 11-08-2007, 12:03 AM
97targa
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Advice anyone??

Do you have am open air filter when you were washing the engine down? could have got water in the intake and fouling out plugs...bad..bad...Also pull your plug coils off and see if there's water in the hole the plugs sits in. If so use compressed air in the hole and blow it out. Let the plugs wires sit out overnight indoors at room temp to dry out. Moisture could have been causing contact failure.
The other thing is if you put your oil cap on before you washed your engine????....lol I hope you did, because two brain farts in a row isn't good!
Old 11-08-2007, 05:21 AM
x_raiderx_x

My air filter is a fender mounted unit. It goes inside the passenger side fender and has a shield around the opening. Two brain farts would have been bad, but no, I didn't forget to put the oil cap back on. Thanks for the tips, I 'll try it out and see what happens. I appreciate any advice anyone else has as well, and thanks in advance.

TSWEN
Old 11-09-2007, 01:40 PM
CJ98

i have to be carefull when washing under the hood on my 98 cobra because water tends to find its way from the plate covering the spark plug wires (on top of the valve covers ) to down where the plug wires plug into the spark plug. i have had to use paper towels twisted up to reach down where the spark plugs are to absorb the water the has collected down there. hope this helps your situation.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:25 PM
redbullitt
2nd Gear Member

well the smoke is not really a bad thing, the issue has to be water. Get some de electric grease on the coils and plug tops, check your electrical connections. I bet something got wet in the ignition wiring.