SVT Forums

Few q's about my new 03 Cobra

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 09:24 PM
ShaneHayes

Default Few q's about my new 03 Cobra

So as you all know, I just bought my 03' 10th Anniv. Cobra, and loving it! I have a few q's about it though. When I hit a bump, I can hear a creeking noise from the rear. The dude I got it from said, it's probably the bushing to the rear sway bar that needs to be lubed. What do you think? Also, when I put it in the gear, I can hear a "thud" sound coming from the rear. He said that is completely normal. Lastly, I noticed when cruising, and you give it gas, then lay off it quickly, you can feel the engine move a lot, as if a motor mount or something is broke. Again, he said this is normal since it's a RWD car, since I am used to my STi, and not the Cobra. Thanks again.

-Shane
Old 11-10-2007, 09:45 PM
jEEd
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Few q's about my new 03 Cobra

1. the creaking noise could be numerous of things, but like what he said could be it and just lube and go from there. and if that doesnt help, you should try and get a clip of it somehow.

2. i believe this "thud" sound your speaking of is normal but i cant be 100% sure without hearing the noise. you should make a video clip of it and link it so we can hear it to "diagnosis" it.

3. that whole give it gas / lay it off quickly repeatedly feels like the engine is moving is completely normal in all mustangs.

hope that helps.

edit: reason why i thought the "thud" noise is normal is because i hear it on alot of mustangs [X(]
Old 11-10-2007, 10:09 PM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

I don't know why you all think the "Clunk" is normal.. it's not... Your differential casing may also be leaking. When mine was doing that ford replaced the shims and some bearing inside he said, and also resealed the casing. IT'S NOT NORMAL.. A LOT OF OUR CARS HAVE IT BUT IS NOT NORMAL!!!!!

I have never felt my engine "move" when I release the gas...

The creaking.. what kinda creaking? I hear a creak out of first gear, but that's part of the chatter from my clutch, lol.. Why don't you take it to a Mustang performance mechanic and reproduce the sounds for him... he will catch it. I can diagnos the clunk though because i had it and gotten it fixed.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:41 PM
ShaneHayes

thanks for the inputs guys. as far as the creaking noise. it's coming from the rear. the creaking noise occurs when I hit a bump. i'm going to check the bushings, and lube them and see what happens then. the "clunking" noise i read on the FAQ's stated it is normal, but now i'm hearing that you had this fixed, and it took care of the problem.hmm also, the engine doesn't necessarily "move", but you can feel it when you first press the gas, or right when you get off. i was thinking a motor mount was broke? i just want to know 100% that these items are "normal." i guess i'll have someone check these concerned items out. other than that, i really love the car. no dissapointments here!
Old 11-11-2007, 10:25 AM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

They may be listed as normal because most Terminator guys have the clunk... but, there is a fix for it. It still will clunk a little bit - but if it does, then it's driver error (it really only happens when I slip the clutch), or when I drop of the clutch to fast... but when I shift normal it doesn't happen.

the creak could be a number of things actually... why not just swap it for a built solid and call it a day [sm=happy046.gif]
Old 11-11-2007, 11:10 AM
CJ98

i replaced the rear upper and lower control arms in mine but it didn't get rid of the creak for me. when i find out the creak for mine i 'll let you know.
Old 11-11-2007, 01:41 PM
mills281e
4th Gear Member

Broken motor mount will cause a noticable "jerk" in your shifter handle when you give the car gas. One of my friends use to have an 88 Mustang GT that had a broken motor mount and the shifter would almost want to pull out of your handwhen you got on it (would jerk to the right from the motor and tranny twistinga bit).

I noticedmy Cobra (when I had it) and Saleen do this to a lesser extent, which is normal.

Probably can't hurt to have it looked at though.
Old 11-11-2007, 03:01 PM
soldierstang04
2nd Gear Member

Mine has a Clunk or whatever when i am sitting at a stop light and i dont have it in any gear....and when i go put it in 1st it has a lil clunk to it but thats the only time it makes noise....is this what yours is doing?
Old 11-12-2007, 12:53 AM
ShaneHayes

As far as the shifter moving when pressing or letting off the gas...it doesn't go as far as that. I just can feel the engine moving slightly. I am still going to get it looked at to make sure that is normal.

As far as the clunk, It only does it sometimes when I put it in first gear. That is the only time I hear that.

The creak noise coming from the rear bugs the crap out of me, so that will be getting looked at too. I will let you know if I find something about that too. Really, I will keep you all updated on this. I'm not overly concerned with these issues, just something I want to resolve my suspitions.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:39 PM
Gsxbking

I work at a Ford dealership. Had my 03 cobra checked out cause when I would switch gears i would hear a clunk too. It ended up being the bushings that hold the rear differential in place. check those cause those could be the little noise also. There is three bushing back there. Easiest thing to do is to put it on a lift and leave it in gear and while someone is pushing the tires back and fourth look at those bushings and see if there is any play. Hope this helps you out....

Quick Reply: Few q's about my new 03 Cobra