SVT Forums

HOW TO DISABLE ABS?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 01:09 AM
St4ng07
4th Gear Member

Default RE: HOW TO DISABLE ABS?

I call bs on you stopping faster without abs, rather then with abs...Without abs the tires will just lock and skid. With abs, they do not lock up...for example..

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xd5KDvXbE3M

Old 11-23-2007, 01:11 AM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 97targa

ORIGINAL: IntrnlCmbstn

but please don't ask a proffesional shop to do something like this.. It's not only illegal, it is a huge liability.. I would have to show you the door if you came to my shop with such a request..
What are you smoking? ABS is not mandatory to pass any kind of government regulation or inspection. This is in part because ABS is an OPTION on ALL cars, just because it may come standard like A/C doesn't mean you cannot order it without ABS. Your an idiot. I hate how when I go down to the local parts store, the clerk says "yeah I have got one of those", um NO. You don't have one of those, Advance Auto has one of those! So, don't call your employer YOUR shop. Go back to Midas or wherever it is you work and don't think you own the place! If you do own your place and if you turn down money for this kind of work you confirm my story your an idiot. Just so you know, I got my truck inspected here in strict NY with my ABS light on....at Midas!!! Go figure???
You need to chill the hell out and get off your high horse. I have absolutely heard of shops failing people due to ABS not working. I've also heard of plenty of shops not caring. I don't know of any laws in the US that strictly state that it would be illegal, but depending on how the shop reads into the laws, there are laws about disabling equipped safety features if they are supposed to come on your car. That typically refers to things like air bags, but as I said, if a shop decides to add ABS to that, they could definitely fail you. However, having it disabled and a shop disabling it are completely different. It most certainly would be up to a shop if they wanted to disable it or not. I'd expect that there would be a liability involved in disabling safety features.

Either way, the easiest solution, if you really do want it disabled, pull the fuse then remove the light after you do so. That way it's not noticeable during an inspection and you don't have to see it either. It's not like they take your car out back and test it, so that should be sufficient.

ORIGINAL: St4ng07

I call bs on you stopping faster without abs, rather then with abs...Without abs the tires will just lock and skid. With abs, they do not lock up...
ABS is for people who don't know how to use the right pressure when braking and just slam the brake to the floor. If you hold it at the right spot you'll achieve maximum braking without skidding at all.
Old 11-23-2007, 01:24 AM
St4ng07
4th Gear Member

Im sure you can achieve a good amount of braking, but the abs is still going to be faster, especially in a harsh weather conditions.
Old 11-23-2007, 01:35 AM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: St4ng07

Im sure you can achieve a good amount of braking, but the abs is still going to be faster, especially in a harsh weather conditions.
I take back what I posted before edit, I actually wrote it backwards, it's 3am, time for me to get to sleep I guess, haha. Now to retry:

Depending on the surface and conditions, ABS definitely increases braking distance. The easier it is to lock up the tires, the more it has to work in releasing the tires and braking again, meaning you're losing braking time. On a dry surface, ABS is better, but still not as fast as a skilled driver. Additionally, in rare cases it's actually faster to stop by locking up the tires. But most importantly, it gives drivers a false sense of security. ABS won't save you on ice, so someone who slams the pedal to the floor and relies on ABS will be screwed. It's really better to just know how your vehicle reacts to different situations and how to brake properly in those situations.
Old 11-23-2007, 01:58 PM
mfj
Banned

yeah 97targa, sorry, but ur one confrontational puto. and i def wave the bs flag for u stopping faster without abs. and u doo need to chill the hell out. WHAT RU SMOKING???
Old 11-23-2007, 08:56 PM
IntrnlCmbstn

original 97targa:
What are you smoking? ABS is not mandatory to pass any kind of government regulation or inspection. This is in part because ABS is an OPTION on ALL cars, just because it may come standard like A/C doesn't mean you cannot order it without ABS. Your an idiot. I hate how when I go down to the local parts store, the clerk says "yeah I have got one of those", um NO. You don't have one of those, Advance Auto has one of those! So, don't call your employer YOUR shop. Go back to Midas or wherever it is you work and don't think you own the place! If you do own your place and if you turn down money for this kind of work you confirm my story your an idiot. Just so you know, I got my truck inspected here in strict NY with my ABS light on....at Midas!!! Go figure??

Wow..That's an interesting attempt at a flame, but unfortunately you fail....

ItIS illegal for me, as a professional repair facility, to charge you money toremove or modify factory installed safetyequipment... In reality, I could give a rat's *** about that because there's no enforcement. I could also care less about what will pass inspection in your state.. I don't know why you went off on that tangent, but at least it was mildly entertaining....

What IS important to me is the liability... You see, contrary to your rambling assumptions, I DO own my shop, and I'm not willing to lose it over something like this.. The day I have to rely on risks like this make a living is the day I WILL need to have my intelligence questioned.

They say ignorance is bliss.... I hope you enjoy a very happy existence.. I hope you never know the stress of possibly losing everything you own and everything you've worked for, to a retarded multi-million dollar lawsuit, attempting to prove that theA/C system you repaired somehow caught a vehicle on fire, and started a forest fire....

On a final note.. the contraction for "you are" is "you're" not "your"... If you're going to call me an idiot, please doso with proper grammar...
Old 11-24-2007, 09:28 AM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

Hey, 97targa might have been completely off base with his personal attacks, but you absolutely can stop faster without ABS. Go do a little research on it. A perfect driver could stop faster than ABS almost every time, good drivers can stop faster sometimes, and almost as fast others. It all depends on how well you know your car, tires, and friction of the street. ABS is for people who panic and just slam the brakes down. We've all be guilty of it before when we were younger. Like I said, it's a nice addition for typical drivers, and not a bad feature for all of us in bad weather, just in case, but it becomes just as dangerous as it is helpful when you rely on it and expect it to work no matter what.

Anyway, this is all getting off topic and pointless. The guy just wanted to know how to disable his ABS, not everyones personal opinions about the subject.
Old 11-24-2007, 10:45 AM
IntrnlCmbstn

I agree it got off topic.... But I think it's important to understandall repercussions of any modifications done.. Is the OP going to to inform his insurance company that his car is no longer equipped with ABS, and pay the higher rate..? If he happened to be in an accident, is he prepared to prove to investigators that his actions were not the cause, or a contributing factor... I speak from experience when I say that incases of civil liability, all it takes is an accusation... You are guilty untilyou prove otherwise..

Personally, I am in complete agreement that ABS, and other driver enhancement systems, are just excuses to not know how to drive... But as it seems that the average driver gets their licence from the bottom of a Cracker Jack box, they are a reality of the modern world.

We also have to qualify that we are discussing a twelve year old Ford product, with a stand alone ABS system.. Many modern vehicles have the engine controller, body controller, HVAC, ABS/Traction control, and who knows how many other modules, all networked together, and interdependent of each other. Disabling one will have many consequences to the entire system. (including setting communication error codes in the engine controller, and failing any emission testing)

If one is going to do something like this, they would also need to research the design of the system in question... Many vehicles have totally different hydraulic systemsw/o ABS.. (different master cyl, added proportioning valve, ect.)

In short.. If someone wants to do this, I have no problem with it.. I'm just trying to bring to light some things that might not otherwise be considered in the decision.
Old 11-24-2007, 04:03 PM
mfj
Banned

i never said u cannot stop faster without abs. i KNOW that it IS possible to stop faster without abs. i was simply stating in my previous post, that 97targa was not capable of stopping faster without abs, since he lacks the mental competence to keep his cool on the forums, he is probably one of those tards that slam their brakes!
Old 11-25-2007, 12:33 AM
97targa
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mfj

yeah 97targa, sorry, but ur one confrontational puto. and i def wave the bs flag for u stopping faster without abs. and u doo need to chill the hell out. WHAT RU SMOKING???
Whatever, but no need for PUTO!

There are just too many people on here that "think" they know what the rules and regulations are! Everyone likes to speak on subjects they have had no direct contact with.
In NY 1996+ cars that have ONLY the check engine light on will fail inspection since it will register a fail code for one of the 5 sections of the test anyways. 1995 and prior can pass with the engine light on. There is no regulation about ABS or even the Airbag light staying on. I know that in some vehicles the parking brake light can illuminate and stay light with the ABS disabled like my truck and WILL fail because of that light. I had to pull mine out.
As far as the idiotic lawsuits, anyone can get sued for anything these days. A mechanic could get sued for not tightening all the lugs up on a wheel properly if it happens to wobble loose, or driveshaft bolts weren't tightened up all the way, or not latching the hood after service and it flies up on the highway on the way home. All of those are extremely hard to prosecute and would be merely impossible. Same with the Fire for the A/C a few posts ago. There's no telling if it was what you had touched or not touched that caused all that?????
Sure there are a few debatable things, but as far as you getting harrassed by the cops with your ABS light on, it's not gonna happen and they cannot do anything anyways. If there are problems getting it inspected, just pull the bulb out. And if your worried about the insurance comany, call them up and tell them your vehicle is not equipt with it any longer.

Quick Reply: HOW TO DISABLE ABS?