SVT Forums

HOW TO DISABLE ABS?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 06:36 PM
302xr7

Default HOW TO DISABLE ABS?

ok i have a 96 cobra and i replaced the axle that was bent and removed the abs gear thingy....so i want to disable abs all together, where is the wire, or fuse or what do i gotta do to disable the whole abs...?
Old 11-19-2007, 06:49 PM
mfj
Banned

Default RE: HOW TO DISABLE ABS?

now why would u want to disable ur abs>???????
Old 11-19-2007, 06:58 PM
ponysnake99
4th Gear Member

the fuse is in the engine bay fuse box above the battery (yellow), but you'll trigger the light. easiest thing to do is take it to any shop that diagnoses for free and have them disable it, 5 minute deal.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:38 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

2 questions, why did you remove the gear, and why do you wanna drop ABS? You must like rear ending people
Old 11-19-2007, 09:35 PM
Ahnial8u
3rd Gear Member

If you get your car tuned with a custom tuner or a chip you can disable it.
With my tune I had the rear O2 sensors disabled, The Traccontrol sysdisabled andThe rev limiter raised.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:54 PM
mustangman36578
2nd Gear Member

r u sure the gear thingy by the axle that u removed wasnt ur speed sensor?
Old 11-20-2007, 06:43 PM
97targa
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mustangman36578

r u sure the gear thingy by the axle that u removed wasnt ur speed sensor?
LOL, no that's the ABS sensor. The sped sensor is on the trans.

I personally HATE ABS. I have tried several tests and have stopped faster than the ABS everytime! ABS is for Bitches that panic in certain situations. I have NEVER rear ended anyone or slid into anything. I have a perfect driving record for the past 10years and love to play in the snow! I pulled the fuse out of my pick-up truck, but haven't had to bother with the mustang since it has never activated? No light and it will screech to a stop ? Well, I slammed on the brakes on the highway at 120mph to test the new brake set-up out and she skidded a little until I eased up just enough to stop the screech. I don't know if ABS is faulty or what, but I'm fine with that. ABS is just a fuse in the engine compartment, but you'll have to pull the cluster and take out the light so it won't stay lit.
First thing I do when I get a new car is slam on the brakes at various speeds in diff. weathers to get a feel for the weight pushing forward if you will. It helps me out anyways. That's what I used to do in autocross with my RX-7. I won 7 out of 10 events. 5 out of 7 were in first place and one in 2nd and one in 3rd(blew a coilover and made the final laop with a flat)
Old 11-22-2007, 01:02 AM
IntrnlCmbstn

You already disabled it.... without a rear speed signal it will set a code and turn itself off.... I'd still pull the fuse, and you'll need to pull the bulb if you don't want to look at the light...

I don't have a problem with someone doing this to their own car... MyABS has annoyed the hell out of me more than once, but please don't ask a proffesional shop to do something like this.. It's not only illegal, it is a huge liability.. I would have to show you the door if you came to my shop with such a request..
Old 11-22-2007, 02:02 AM
302xr7

ORIGINAL: IntrnlCmbstn

You already disabled it.... without a rear speed signal it will set a code and turn itself off.... I'd still pull the fuse, and you'll need to pull the bulb if you don't want to look at the light...

I don't have a problem with someone doing this to their own car... My ABS has annoyed the hell out of me more than once, but please don't ask a proffesional shop to do something like this.. It's not only illegal, it is a huge liability.. I would have to show you the door if you came to my shop with such a request..
yea i totally understand that ......i appreciate all the help u guys , i will pull the fuse 2morrow, if i can find which one it is, cause i lost the damn lid to the fuse holder lol.........
Old 11-23-2007, 12:24 AM
97targa
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: IntrnlCmbstn

but please don't ask a proffesional shop to do something like this.. It's not only illegal, it is a huge liability.. I would have to show you the door if you came to my shop with such a request..
What are you smoking? ABS is not mandatory to pass any kind of government regulation or inspection. This is in part because ABS is an OPTION on ALL cars, just because it may come standard like A/C doesn't mean you cannot order it without ABS. Your an idiot. I hate how when I go down to the local parts store, the clerk says "yeah I have got one of those", um NO. You don't have one of those, Advance Auto has one of those! So, don't call your employer YOUR shop. Go back to Midas or wherever it is you work and don't think you own the place! If you do own your place and if you turn down money for this kind of work you confirm my story your an idiot. Just so you know, I got my truck inspected here in strict NY with my ABS light on....at Midas!!! Go figure???

Quick Reply: HOW TO DISABLE ABS?