SVT Forums

teksid block or new block?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 03:52 PM
darcnytemare
2nd Gear Member

Default teksid block or new block?

Ok im planning on running a single turbo set-up come late spring early summer. I was planning on contacting MMR and having a shortblock built. But I own a 99 cobra and from i remmber they have the teksid blocks which are pretty strong. My question is...will the block be able to hold boost if it is rebuilt? last thing i want to do is split the block in half
Old 11-20-2007, 04:10 PM
Blownsvt
5th Gear Member

Default RE: teksid block or new block?

if you actually haeva forged teksied block you should be good to go.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:41 PM
darcnytemare
2nd Gear Member

im not sure if its forged. but when i rebuild everything internally will be forged. like i said as long as the block can handle the higher boost levels for the track.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:00 PM
ponysnake99
4th Gear Member

not all 99's recieved the teksid blocks. vally webbing is the easiest way to tell, horizontal stripes making squares is the teksid design, diagonal stripes making diamonds or rhombuses is the windsor block. aluminum acts differently than iron to the strains of boost, and a new iron block may be your best bet if u have the windsor block. try researching the pro's and con's of both to make ur decission, but if u do infact have the teksid block (which unless aftermarket work has been done is not forged) then i wouldnt worry bout it and boost away
Old 11-20-2007, 07:19 PM
97targa
5th Gear Member

Correct ^^^^^ 99's were 80% Teskid and the rest were the newer style. Teskid is good for up to 750hp with no modifications and 900hp with modifications. If it's Teskid you have forged crank and a good block to start with, but everything else needs to be newly forged components with some good I beam rods. If your blocks needs more than 0.020-.030" over I would suggest a new iron block! Thinner walls won't hold up to the power of a turbo. I mean they will run fine, but you have a better chance of cracking the walls due to heat.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:43 AM
darcnytemare
2nd Gear Member

yea im hoping i can use my stock block cause im doing a DIY turbo kit and i dont want to spend like 5g's for a built motor when i dont need it too much. this car will be a dd too.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:07 AM
mfj
Banned

i think ur horrible confused. we're talking about blocks here, not shorblocks. we were saying that a teksid can handle 700+hp, but NOT with stock internals. you would have to build ur motor, regardless of the block u have....
Old 11-21-2007, 11:21 AM
mfj
Banned

the cast iron cobra blocks are only like 400 bux, so i dont see what the big deal is?? if someone is building ur engine, even if ur using ur own block, it will still cost thousands... the cast iron blocks ive seen hold over 1000 hp
Old 11-21-2007, 11:32 AM
Ahnial8u
3rd Gear Member

Yeah the WAP blocks with forged internals will be able to handle 700+ RWHP and a Teksid should be able to handle 900+ RWHP.
With either block being "Built" I think you will run out of Horsepower before you run out of Block strength. You would probably need over 1,000 HP to literally split the block. Theese blocks are way stromger than the 5.0 blocks which usually give out around 500 RWHP.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:11 PM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

how can you tell which block is which

Quick Reply: teksid block or new block?