SVT Forums

header question for 99 cobra

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 12:05 AM
darcnytemare
2nd Gear Member

Default header question for 99 cobra

Alright i think its time to get some headers. I heard kooks headers on cobras and they sound absolutely sick on. I was wondering if anyone else has kooks headers. Also what other manufacturers make good LT headers. I dont really care if they're SS, Chrome or whatever. as long as they give me some more power and a louder tone.

if anyone has any vids with LT's on cobra post them up.
Old 12-24-2007, 12:39 AM
01snake
5th Gear Member

Default RE: header question for 99 cobra

why dont you get gears first
Old 12-24-2007, 06:11 PM
darcnytemare
2nd Gear Member

lol....gears r in the works. im good with my 3.55's for now. just wanted to comlete the exhaust first since i pushed the turbo build-up back a few mos.
Old 12-25-2007, 04:45 AM
bugpack28
2nd Gear Member

Hookers are great. I have flowtech and they are the same as hookers just uncoated, but different welds i shoulda went with hooker but the flowtech fit great no problems. But if you want to install them yourself then have 1 long day or 2 short days open with a case of beer ready because its a fun job to say the least lol...
Old 12-25-2007, 02:52 PM
vertmustang98gt
2nd Gear Member

+1000 I have a couple of cases ready... It's that much fun.

ORIGINAL: bugpack28

Hookers are great. I have flowtech and they are the same as hookers just uncoated, but different welds i shoulda went with hooker but the flowtech fit great no problems. But if you want to install them yourself then have 1 long day or 2 short days open with a case of beer ready because its a fun job to say the least lol...
Old 12-25-2007, 04:09 PM
darcnytemare
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bugpack28

-1 for me installing them. Id prolly be drunk from constantly drinkin my frustrations away....hahahaha. it was such a headache trying to get the bolts off for my x-pipe on the passenger side. i couldnt get them off cause of no clearance for my hand to squeeze in there. If i get headers i really want hooker's but they're pretty pricey.

Are flowtechs no different? do they give off the same sound note too? I'm not really worried bout them being all SS and jet hot coated wit high temp coating. i just want a complete exhaust. and yes i will be taking the headers to be installed by a shop. let the pros do it so i can drive my car sooner
Old 12-26-2007, 08:29 AM
bugpack28
2nd Gear Member

Id stay away from the flowtech ones because i had to do some die grinder work on the flanges and i couldn't really find an x pipe (didn't really look) but go with the hookers they are like 6 bills but way worth and if your putting them on for a long time then go with the best and hookers add like 23 hp at the engine dynoo through all the rpms and nice tq numbers
Old 12-26-2007, 10:39 AM
darcnytemare
2nd Gear Member

where can i find hooker headers? everytime i find headers for my car they're like $1,000,000,000,000,000.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:44 AM
darcnytemare
2nd Gear Member

uh nvm....found em on summit for like $530 which isnt a bad price at all. problem now is....will it matter that im bolting a 3" collector to 2.5" piping?
Old 12-27-2007, 11:38 PM
97targa
5th Gear Member

I went with BBK ceramic coated. They will give you better dyno numbers because of the heat shield characteristics of ceramic coating. You can get them on ebay from THR for $480 shipped I would steer clear from Flowjunk as you get what you pay for. Cheap materials and cheap welds. Thin flanges and thin walled tubing that will crack under severe heat especially if they accumulate any amount of surface rust.
Here's word to the wise. Re-use stock gaskets as they never go bad. Re-use factory header bolts or similiar style with open end bolt and nut. Header bolts loosen and it took me almost a day just to get the retainers and clips on the Stage 8 bolts. There's no room for even one hand so just think about putting a retainer over the bolt and then trying to snap a clip which goes on quite hard over that retainer that falls off if you let go. Yeah!!! Took me forever. If I have to take them off for any reasons (clutch change) I won't use those bolts again!
MAC headers are supposedly user friendly because you don't have to remove them for a trans. pull? That's just what I've heard

Quick Reply: header question for 99 cobra