SVT Forums

Cobra X-mas gift from wife

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 11:59 AM
jetskidj

Default Cobra X-mas gift from wife

I have a fun problem this Christmas; my wife bought me a 2003 Cobra. Crazy. Any way 10 years ago my wife and myself build our selves a 1991 vortech, cam, trany, heads, everything except pistons, GT. We learned a lot and had a blast in true street competitions. We ran 11.50’s with a street GT with A/C, which I know is nothing today but we had fun. We got out being more responsible and having kids and careers. Well it is time to be irresponsible again. I have been reading every now and then so I know a little of the new stuff.

But I know nothing about the car its self. It’s in fantastic shape with just over 40,000 miles. Here are my questions.

It has Borla Exhaust that sounds great.
It has a pulley on it that says TK 280, is this a 2.81 pulley? If so how many HP does this help?
What is a stock boost level of a 2003?
What is a boos level of a 2003 with a 2.81 pulley?
What things should I be looking for on this car? Problems / Good things
Were the chip located and how can I tell if it’s been changed.
10 years ago the first thing you do is change the timing, is this chip thing now.
Short throw shifter.[/ol]

Thank you for your help. As you can tell from my past I like to get my hands dirty and spend a little. I guess my goal is to have a fun weekend car and go to a race or two but needs to be reliable enough to drive the family to a race out of state to go to a car show. So I’m thinking of a 500hp car. I do not want a role cage in a convertible. But then again it always starts simple.
Old 12-26-2007, 01:42 PM
Blownsvt
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Cobra X-mas gift from wife

the best way to know what size the pulley is is to measure it with a tape. 2.81 is 2.8 inches. the stock one is 3.65if that helps. stock boost level if i remember right was about 8-9 lbs, a2.8 should put you maxing out the stock gauge with about 12lbs i would guess. Most people do not "chip" these cars. It is done with a hand held tuner that uses theOBD2 port under the dash. If it has and aftermarket pulley on it which you will know by measuring the first thing i would do it get it on a dyno and have the A/F ratio checked out just to be safe. plus then you will know exactly where it is power wise.If it has a 2.8 pulley,exhaust and agood tune, i would guess you would be around 440 rwhp give or take depending on the intake setup etc. any questions feel free to hollar. I have doen just about every mod in the book to these cars blower wise and am now doing the turbo swap. good luck with the car, you better be kissing some *** after a gift like that.
Old 12-26-2007, 03:46 PM
torqjnky
2nd Gear Member

I found this 03-04 Cobrea FAQ link on an SVT site a while back. I refer to it any time I have a question or concern about my 03 Cobra. Hope this helps. Enjoy your new Hot Rod!!!

http://stangshiftergaskets.com/2003_2004faqs.htm
Old 12-28-2007, 07:23 PM
jetskidj

Thank you for the help its a 2.81 pulley. I will have it on a dyno in the next 10 days for A/F ratio.

Did you say RWHP that is crazy. What does a cobra loss % from the crank to the rear wheels?

And yes I will be kissing *** for a long time.

I'm shocked but glad to be back to play.

How could I tell if the blower was ported?

Old 12-28-2007, 07:40 PM
Blownsvt
5th Gear Member

the only way to tell if the blower is ported is to remove it, you should be able totell by your dyno numbers though. just be looking for an A/F ratio around 11.5, with no port and those basic mods you could easily see 440rwhp give or take.
Old 12-29-2007, 12:28 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Blownsvt

the only way to tell if the blower is ported is to remove it, you should be able to tell by your dyno numbers though. just be looking for an A/F ratio around 11.5, with no port and those basic mods you could easily see 440rwhp give or take.
Well, being that Steig seems to be the most common, does Steig not always put their sticker on a ported Eaton? It's certainly not a fool proof way to check, but if you have their logo, you know quickly that it is.
Old 12-29-2007, 12:38 PM
AZ SNAKE
2nd Gear Member

I say take it and have a shop do a couple Dyno pulls to check and see if the tune is safe. Then you will have your HP numbers too. SHouldn't cost you more than $75 bucks to have someone dyno it.
Old 12-29-2007, 12:58 PM
paulstang
3rd Gear Member

You are a lucky man.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:11 PM
Blownsvt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AJ03SVT

ORIGINAL: Blownsvt

the only way to tell if the blower is ported is to remove it, you should be able to tell by your dyno numbers though. just be looking for an A/F ratio around 11.5, with no port and those basic mods you could easily see 440rwhp give or take.
Well, being that Steig seems to be the most common, does Steig not always put their sticker on a ported Eaton? It's certainly not a fool proof way to check, but if you have their logo, you know quickly that it is.
yeah if it is a steig it will have their label on it. there are other port jobs though too.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:08 PM
Noveds

My wife gave me an OU sweatshirt and a stereo for the garage.
Go get the carpet recall done, when that goes wrong it can be dangerous.
Alternator crapped the bed early on my 04, and I've heard others see the same.
If you have $ to burn, I'd consider a solid axle.
Badass gift from your wife, have fun.

Quick Reply: Cobra X-mas gift from wife