SVT Forums

96 cobra build-up suggestions needed please.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 10:36 PM
96CobraMattDOHC
1st Gear Member

Default 96 cobra build-up suggestions needed please.

what is a good, "one stop" website to go to for parts for a 4v engine? i want to get a checklist together so i can start buying piece by piece everything i need to build my engine and drivetrain to support a supercharger reliablely, and actually build enough power to whoop up on some crazy fast imports in my area. the import scene is dominating around here except for a vortech-ed 96 gt and a few other mustangs. i wanna build a respectable car over the next 2 years or so. if any of you have suggestions im all ears. most of these cars im refering to beat or hang with terminators. any tips or tricks would be fantastic. my car is stock except for an o/r h-pipe, flowmaster catback, and 3.73's. all we're on the car when i bought it. but hey, $7300 for a mint 96 cobra with 65,000 old-man-driven miles seemed like a steal to me.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:52 AM
Ehmark
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: 96 cobra build-up suggestions needed please.

Sean hyland motorsports is your one stop shop ; ) . I would suggest gears then some intake and exhaust work with a tune. Then depending on budget I would say meth injection or if you can afford it a supercharger.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:03 AM
lazyeye
2nd Gear Member

first of all, how much hp are you aiming for? cause if i were you, i wouldn't waste my time with bolt-ons and just go F/Iwith a built motor.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:07 PM
baino
4th Gear Member

on the homepage there is a ton of sponsors. alot of those guys have pretty reasonable prices also.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:17 PM
96CobraMattDOHC
1st Gear Member

thanks everyone for your input. ill definately check them out. i wanna go supercharged for sure. im not really sure how much im going for hp wise. i dont really wanna throw out some random number thats probably not possible. but for the hell of it, maybe somewhere between 500-600whp. i know i wanna forge the bottom end without a doubt. im really new to 4 valves and 4.6's in general. ive had 3 5.0L's prior to this car. as far as heads are concerned, im clueless. ive already learned cams are kinda not worth the price for power gains. i plan on buying parts over the next year or two and do it all at once. theres no way i can right now. i just want to have a concrete list that i can start checking off piece by piece. i have a connection with an engine builder here in sylvester. he said he was willing to give me a hand putting it together when the time comes, so im not concerned about that. can anyone direct me to someone that has built a healthy 4v? i just wanna know what parts are worth getting and what not. i do wanna reuse my teksid block though. thanks again guys!
Old 02-13-2008, 12:14 AM
5150vortechsvt

I have a stock 4.6 DOHC motor with a Vortech SQ with the max cooler and ignition system, 4.10 gears, spec 3 clutch, short shifter, mac long tubes w/off road H, 2 chamber flows and a diablotune and that beats on majority of the imports in NV and CA
Old 02-13-2008, 11:55 PM
96CobraMattDOHC
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 5150vortechsvt

I have a stock 4.6 DOHC motor with a Vortech SQ with the max cooler and ignition system, 4.10 gears, spec 3 clutch, short shifter, mac long tubes w/off road H, 2 chamber flows and a diablotune and that beats on majority of the imports in NV and CA
does the sq make any noise at all? i want that whistle to it but they say the are "super quiet". just curious.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:46 PM
96CobraMattDOHC
1st Gear Member

http://youtube.com/watch?v=O8WTSphNxzw

this is what i want.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:31 AM
baino
4th Gear Member

nice, just remember that your cam kit is twice as much as his. I believe thats is my next step too, but she's in a paint booth right now so might have to build the cash back up for the kit (>$1000) then installation
Old 02-15-2008, 12:10 PM
96CobraMattDOHC
1st Gear Member

$975 for Crower Stage 3 or 4 supercharger grind cams. btw, thats a 97 cobra mtr in it. not a pi 2v. lol. the list ive made up with a supercharger and all the forged stuff runs right at 10k for just parts. luckily i have a connection with a engine builder/ machineist, so he shouldnt rape me to bad on the work. he's gonna aid me in putting it all together so it should be fun.

Quick Reply: 96 cobra build-up suggestions needed please.