SVT Forums

New twin turbo build

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 11:06 PM
Dilireus
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Weekend project

I forgot to mention...the K-member, tubular front control arms, and the SPEC Stage 3+ clutch were delivered from HP on Friday. I'm even more skeptical of the K-member now that I've seen it in person. Looks really flimsy. And it didn't raise my comfort level when the first thing I saw when I opened the box was a piece of paper that read, "For competition use ONLY." This things looks like it would fold like cheap patio furniture at the first big pot hole. But it's really, really light!!!
Old 05-05-2008, 09:53 AM
mfj
Banned

everything lookin likes it going well!! CONGRATS!
Old 05-19-2008, 11:28 AM
Dilireus
2nd Gear Member

Got the turbos, intercooler, C&L MAF, chip and some installation hardware today. No sign of my $1,600 fuel system that they told me was going to be shipped as well.
Old 05-19-2008, 01:14 PM
Blownsvt
5th Gear Member

the fuel system was a hold up on mine as well. what fuel set up did you go with?Waht are your power goals like? i ask because if you are going for more than 700 whpyou may want a betterclutch than a spec stage 3+. i lookedinto those when i did my turbo build and we decided to go another route.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:09 PM
Dilireus
2nd Gear Member

I got their Magnafuel set up with 75 lb-hr injectors and a sumped tank. I'm looking for 850 hp. I already have the clutch and a number of people are running it at that power level. What did you discover that made you decide the Stage 3+ couldn't handle this kind of power?
Old 05-27-2008, 07:27 AM
Dilireus
2nd Gear Member

I spent this entire weekend getting the roll bar and the interior installed. I know now why I was quoted $500 just to install this roll bar. What a mission. If you are going to install a roll bar, I highly recommend powder coating over painting. I found out the hard way that paint comes off way too easily. Every time we bumped something against the bar, the paint scratched off. I still have to re-fit the swing out bars because they are off by about 1/8" and I can't get the pins in place.

The intercooler, wastegates, and fuel system have all arrived. Just waiting on the tubing, turbos, BOVs, injectors, and AEM electronic boost controller now.

Old 05-27-2008, 01:14 PM
mfj
Banned

very nice!!! [sm=smiley20.gif]
Old 07-04-2008, 07:14 PM
Dilireus
2nd Gear Member

Work has been progressing very slowly. All of the tubing finally arrived last Tuesday and it looks really slick with the Jet Hot coating. The only parts I'm waiting on now are the turbine housings. I have no idea why they were never shipped, especially since I have had both turbos for over a month now.

While waiting on the tubing, I decided to make some improvements to the fuel system. I was never happy with the pump being mounted to the bumper and with the smallish size of the feed from the tank to the pump. I fabricated a bracket from 3/16" thick steel plate and bolted it through the spare tire well. I also found some rubber mounts from Pegasus to help absorb some of the pump vibration and reduce noise. I replaced the -8 AN steel braided hose from the tank to the pump with a custom -10 AN hose. It turned out really nice.

That was the easy part. Getting the right fuel line fittings turned out to be a comedy of errors. One of Russell's employees apparently failed high school geometry because a whole run of their 180 degree twist-loc fittings were packaged as 120 degree. It took three weeks and four attempts to finally get the right fitting. After all that, it looks like the 180 degree fitting is what I really need after all. I'll replace it next week so the tank hose doesn't hang so low.

It also took about 3 weeks for HPP to send me fuel rails for my engine. They clearly never tried them on a 97 Cobra to see if they actually fit because they don't. As a result, I still can't even drive my car since the factory fuel rails won't work with the new fuel lines. At least the fuel system is done now except for the rails. Here are some before and after pics:

Old 07-09-2008, 12:08 PM
Dilireus
2nd Gear Member

120 degree fitting gone, 180 degree in. Mo betta.

The car is going into the shop Friday. Unless we overlooked something when ordering parts, the car should be done within a couple of weeks. More to come...

Old 07-09-2008, 01:24 PM
Blownsvt
5th Gear Member

what pump did you go with?

Quick Reply: New twin turbo build