SVT Forums

Indecisive on my next move, suggestions encouraged.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 09:22 PM
grimreaper

Default Indecisive on my next move, suggestions encouraged.

I just got NOS for the 97 cobra. What I want to do is get it tuned for the NOS, but also have the option of turning the tune back to stock when the wife is driving the car or even when Im not going to turn the NOS on. I really don't want to run around on a NOS tune, as it could be sluggish due to timing retardation. I am going to run a 100 shot maximum. Can this be done with a dyno tune or do I need to get a handheld kit that will let me switch between different tunes. If so can someone point me to a place to get that setup, cause I can't find it but I've heard its out there.

Thanks
Old 05-08-2008, 07:02 PM
RuffCat
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Indecisive on my next move, suggestions encouraged.

I would suggest getting an SCT flip switch. It is capable of holding 4 tunes even a factory tune with a dial so you can turn on the fly. It's very small and can take place of your cig lighter oulet or similar. The chips only run $249 or abouts too! They only thing you will have to suffer with is with the colder plug and with it gapped small. That will rob you power when you are not using the Nitrous (It's not called NOS, that's a Brand name) The power loss is very minimal and most wouldn't even notice. Def. get it dynoed with the Nitrous as those set-ups can be hit or miss without a difinitive tune done! Good Luck
Old 05-09-2008, 09:28 AM
grimreaper

Thanks for the info, and just FYI I said I got NOS because thats EXACTLY what I got, a NOS nitrous system.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:28 PM
RuffCat
3rd Gear Member

ohh, you were just throwing the NOS around like it was nitrous. I also think they are so-so kits. The NX iceman solonoids are far superior to any NOS I have come across, but that's my opinon. I ran an NX plate set-up when Ihad my GT for 5 tank fulls with a 100 shot on a stock tune with many bolt ons. Never had any issues. I squirted all the time. I got on the dyno and she ran a little lean without nitrous and exactly the same when we squirted. NX wet plate kit 100 shot. Wet is the only way to go.Period. It's not too late to get a proper set-up if theings are still in their box. A solid N20 set-up is gonna run you around $1500. You def need a bottle heater and a pressure guage! You will need a bottle opener unless you mount it where you can reach it. Also, the heaters don't warm the bottle up instantly. It takes about 10 minutes per 100psi roughly is what I have encountered. My bottle ran at 600psi behind my seat until I turned the warmer on. It was a PIA. I will go S/C my next route. All N/A right now and I feel free of headaches!
Old 05-09-2008, 07:31 PM
RuffCat
3rd Gear Member

Don't take things the wrong way. I'm just expressing my feelings and trying to help others with things they might not realize. If you have done your homework and like what you have, then screw what I say...lol
Old 05-10-2008, 04:17 PM
grimreaper

I appreciate the info bro, just letting you know what kit I had. Bottle heater is a must I agree. As far as the remote bottle opener, that might be something I get later. A tune/flip switch is where I think Im heading so I can tune on the fly.