SVT Forums

HELP!?!? White/Gray Smoke

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 10:04 PM
uptonmustang

Default HELP!?!? White/Gray Smoke

Unfortunately, my first post has to be a problem. 03 Cobra 61,000mls, 2.8 pulley, big bore tb, 3" mac x and muffs, predator tune. For the past few months that I've had her, she's ran fine, until Sunday. Right on startup, thick white/gray smoke that smelled like raw fuel,and it felt like it had a hi-po cam in it, 300-400 rpm idle. It was perfectly fine when I shut it off the night before, and now this. I know for certain that it's being caused by way too much fuel (the oil smells like straight gas) leaking down from the chamber. I just can't figure outwhy, unless the ECU is toast, or it forgot the tune.Does anyone know ifthis ispossible? I did attempt to pull codes and got nothing back. How would one go about diagnosing a faulty ECU? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
DM
Old 05-13-2008, 12:51 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Default RE: HELP!?!? White/Gray Smoke

Well I am no expert but when I see white smoke it means a blown head gasket or cracked head cause water is getting in.

Is your oil milky looking? Is there any white sludge in it?

If its not that then I really cant help you on that point without being there. I guess check your MAF, check all connections and hoses/vacuum ports.

My biggest suggestion is to have it towed to the dealership.
That is too expensive of an engine to get trashed.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:38 AM
uptonmustang

I forgot to mention that part. The oil looks proper, only it smells of gas. There is no oil residue in the antifreeze and the exhaust doesn't smell sweet, as when a head gasket goes. Thanks for the thought. There isn't a reputible dealer in this town either unfortunately. Which is why I'm in need of the advice.
DM
Old 05-14-2008, 07:24 AM
uptonmustang

anybody?
Old 05-14-2008, 04:38 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

This svt section doesnt get alot of traffic, so you should try the forums on svtperformance.com There are alot of guys on there that know what there talking about and prob. can help you alot faster then on here.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:13 PM
uptonmustang

I hadn't really looked to other forums yet, but I'm gonna take that advice. Thanks much.
DM
Old 05-15-2008, 01:46 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Also it may really help to call up SVT themselves. Do a google search for their phone number. Go to Fords website and lookup for buying a new car and it will show you the closest dealership to you.

Good luck, at least it isnt a head gasket :P
Old 05-19-2008, 01:03 AM
TeamCobra
1st Gear Member

The water dosen't always leak into the oil first. The exhaust gas is a smaller molecule than the water, so gasses could be entering the cooling system and not vice versa. If you take the coolant cap off after the car has sat for a while does it hiss like a soda that has been shaken? If so pressure is building up in the cooling system = bad head gasket. And coolant could also just be leaking into a cylinder, and not into the oil, which would explain the loping and smoke. Get a mechanic to use a "sniffer" to detect any CO2 in the coolant, or get a/do a compression check.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:23 PM
uptonmustang

For those that have contributed to the help, thank you. I finally fixed her. It ended up being a bad FRPS (Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor) Located at the front of the rail on the driver's side. Basically, the diaphram inside broke down and the computer wasn'treading any fuel pressure at the rail and cranked up the voltage to the fuel pump. $90 later and 10 min. to install and all is well. Thanks again to all that helped.
DM