SVT Forums

How true is this...

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 08:20 PM
sickandtwisted

Default How true is this...

My friend is a mechanic and says that the SVT Cobramotors are known for burning valves at about 90k miles. Is this true if so is it preventable.
Old 05-17-2008, 09:50 PM
jrherald420
5th Gear Member

Default RE: How true is this...

what kind of proof backs that up?????
Old 05-17-2008, 10:16 PM
sickandtwisted

Only that he's been a mechanic for I dont't know 25 years and has seen numerous cases....
Old 05-17-2008, 11:32 PM
Blownsvt
5th Gear Member

any certain years, the motors change about every 2 years or so.
Old 05-18-2008, 01:56 AM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

I think your friend is a moron.. I have seen plenty of Cobra motors over 100k without issues...
Old 05-18-2008, 10:24 AM
sickandtwisted

It's a mechanics perspective from the experiences he's had. Not saying every Cobra just that its a know issue (something to do with the EGR.) Being we just bought a Cobra I wanted to see if this had any merit to it. So you don't have to get insulting XXX
Old 05-18-2008, 11:26 AM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

The problem is, is that a lot of mechanics are brand bias - and they let that bias spill over into a professional atmosphere which is uncalled for. Your friend is giving you this opinion when he's probably seen less then 5% of Cobras out there... It's just a stupid thing to say, when in reality with the exception of a handful of 4v DOHC motors, it's untrue.
Old 05-18-2008, 03:50 PM
RuffCat
3rd Gear Member

Mechanics always have bad things to say. Reason being that they work on cars that are broken! So, the only cars they ever see in life are the one's with problems! Some makes stick out more than others in their heads that's all.
It's like people saying that there are tons of problems with the Ford Taurus cars. Ummm, well they only made like a bagillion of them so problems are gonna happen when you have that many of one brand on the road!!!
Old 05-18-2008, 08:10 PM
sickandtwisted

ORIGINAL: xxkazp3rxx

The problem is in reality with the exception of a handful of 4v DOHC motors, it's untrue.
So it was a issue.. even if it only effected a few vehicles it was an issue.

It's like with Powerjokes ( i mean strokes) they're notorious for blown heads maybe not all but someand in the purchase of a 6.0 Powerstroke it would be something to be wary of.

Yes mechanics mostly see broken vehichles but if they see a reocurring problem then when asked about a specific model it may come up not just to bash a brand
Old 05-18-2008, 10:26 PM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

Dude you're just an idiot. Stop trying to rationalize for your buddy. If 1 out of every 5,000 Cobras has that particular issue, it's not a recurring problem - it's something that can happen. I mean if i beat on my car and bring it in with a blown motor but 2 other guys goes to your guys shop with a blown motor are you going to now say "oh since he saw 3 cracked blocks, mustangs are notorious for cracking the block!"

Now the Headtick, that's a reoccuring problem. THe FRPS sensor in the terminator is a reoccuring proble. This is not. If you're worried about that - go buy a Honda.

Quick Reply: How true is this...