SVT Forums

Blown/Supercharged Life expectancy...

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 01:37 AM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Blown/Supercharged Life expectancy...

ORIGINAL: the_camo_snake

I was wondering the same thing because I have a 96 Cobra but wasnt wanting to rebuild from the block up. I understand if I s/c it I need forged internals or Im going to blown something up sooner than later. It will be a weekend driver just like SVTee is planning. So basically if I get forged crank, rod, pistons, would it hold 10 psi for 50k miles?
yeah, but from what i understand the BLOCK itself is only capable of about 450hp, thats why i figure on buying this alluminator (8.5) for like 6,200 which is damn near what you're gonna spend on a rebuild and you get an aluminum block, basically its the 03-04 cobra engine with an aluminum block and can hold around 700whp, im not going for quite that the 500's are good for me, but i want it to be pretty reliable.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:56 AM
mfj
Banned

ORIGINAL: SVTeeshirt
yeah, but from what i understand the BLOCK itself is only capable of about 450hp, thats why i figure on buying this alluminator (8.5) for like 6,200 which is damn near what you're gonna spend on a rebuild and you get an aluminum block, basically its the 03-04 cobra engine with an aluminum block and can hold around 700whp, im not going for quite that the 500's are good for me, but i want it to be pretty reliable.
The block itself is a Teksid, which has proven themselves to be just as reliable, if not even more reliable, than the cast iron Terminator Blocks... its the internals, themselves, that are weak. Not the block.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:05 AM
the_camo_snake
2nd Gear Member

So MFJ just forged internals would hold 500 rwhp pretty reliably? I am on a limited budget so the most cost effective wya would be great.
Old 07-17-2008, 02:33 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mfj

ORIGINAL: SVTeeshirt
The block itself is a Teksid, which has proven themselves to be just as reliable, if not even more reliable, than the cast iron Terminator Blocks... its the internals, themselves, that are weak. Not the block.
96-98s come teksid? wow i know less about my own car than i thought lol , also

would i be better off building my engine using the existing block? Not trying to break the bank but i want 525whp give or take, got a route better than the alluminator that i can do for say oh under 15k?
Old 09-05-2008, 07:06 PM
StangRyder

Question

I own a 99GT, I know may be on the wrong part of the forum but I want to upgrade my 2V engine to a 4V and was thinking the aluminator is a great option.

Since you know pretty much about cobras, what do I need to fit the s/c aluminator engine on my GT? I know I may need an intake mainfold, plenum and TB, a desent CAI, but what about a computer, cooling...

Also, my stang is an auto tranny, and I'm thinking on swaping it for a T56 but in the long term. Can I still use my transmission with this engine?
Old 09-06-2008, 08:39 AM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by StangRyder
I own a 99GT, I know may be on the wrong part of the forum but I want to upgrade my 2V engine to a 4V and was thinking the aluminator is a great option.

Since you know pretty much about cobras, what do I need to fit the s/c aluminator engine on my GT? I know I may need an intake mainfold, plenum and TB, a desent CAI, but what about a computer, cooling...

Also, my stang is an auto tranny, and I'm thinking on swaping it for a T56 but in the long term. Can I still use my transmission with this engine?
you should have started a new thread buddy, you just revived a VERY OLD thread lol.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:02 AM
StangRyder

Believe me, I've search every 4.6 modular and subforums. If you could point me to the right direction or any word or phrase to enter on advanced search that would be more than enough. I've tried 4v, aluminator, 2v conversion, aluminator swap with no luck at all...

Hope you can help me.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:35 PM
mfj
Banned

Wow, you brought up an old thread... I am a moderator on two forums, but this isn't one of them, otherwise i would REBURY this...