SVT Forums

cobra or mach 1

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 07:44 AM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

Default RE: cobra or mach 1

I like the Mach styling a bit more on my end, along with the SRA vs the IRS... I like the money it saves me in gas, tires and upkeep...

If money is no object get the Cobra. It's faster and you can change the things you want to on it... I got around 15mpg in my 500rwhp Cobra, and I get about 21mpg in my intake/exhaust Mach 1...

My only caution with the Cobra is going to be that most people spend a lot of money on these cars... whether it's in tires, alternators, FRPS, or modifications, lol... They're GREAT cars, but they have a lot of little annoying issues; like the FRPS and the alternator issues.

Also in that Ford built the car maxed out on the supporting parts. Your motor/tranny can handle all the power, plus some. But after modifying it you'll need to do things like clutch, cooling modifications, and some decent suspension work.

you can save money by getting a mach 1 (around 6-8k cheaper) and putting a blower on it with the supporting mods run mid to high 400rwhp and be fine and save a bit of money... but if money is no object and you want more then 500rwhp... get the Cobra.

The nice thing is, is that they're both awesome cars. However, suprisingly I get more looks with the Mach 1, and it's a more rare care...
Old 07-15-2008, 08:10 AM
RuffCat
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jimbob8915

My 03 Cobra is a daily driver with 80k miles. The only issues I can think of that is negative is the mpg, I currently get about 11 mpg. I imagine a Mach would get better fuel mileage.
Get your foot out of the gas then....lol

The Cobra has a t56 6 speed which is better on gas for the highway compared to a 5spd mach.
Also, QUICK01, where did you get that nonsense? All Mach's engines are built exactly the same regardless of auto or stick!

Most everyone is forgeting that the Cobra will outhandle the Mach because the Cobra has IRS (independent rear suspension) The Cobra has a fully forged motor where as the Mach is just the basic cast component motor. You can do a pulley swap and a tune for the Cobra for around $600 and be at 475 to the wheels 560 at the crank and it's safe. The Mach could never do that without having motor troubles eventually. Cobra has nicer seats, nicer wheels compared to those nasty *** ugly Mach wheels.[:'(] On and On and On......... Mach's are nothing more than a Mustang Bullitt with a 96-98 cobra engine plain and simple. ooooohhhh thy havn air induction.....their sooo special.......lol
They are way overpriced for what you get.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:52 AM
alexplantman
2nd Gear Member

I am in a similar bind... although if I change Mustangs it won't be until next year.... I was looking at the Mach 1, thinking it was too much $ for the Cobra, but after seeing the HP #'s !! I am sold. I was also thinking for the price a used 05-06, and adding a s/c... 300 hp +125 from the s/c = 425 at the engine vs. Cobra's underrated 375 or so? Wouldn't one be able to prep (within a reasonable budget) an '05-'06 to be as fast as a cobra?
Old 07-15-2008, 11:53 AM
quick01

ORIGINAL: RuffCat

My 03 Cobra is a daily driver with 80k miles. The only issues I can think of that is negative is the mpg, I currently get about 11 mpg. I imagine a Mach would get better fuel mileage.

The Cobra has a t56 6 speed which is better on gas for the highway compared to a 5spd mach.
Also, QUICK01, where did you get that nonsense? All Mach's engines are built exactly the same regardless of auto or stick!

Most everyone is forgeting that the Cobra will outhandle the Mach because the Cobra has IRS (independent rear suspension) The Cobra has a fully forged motor where as the Mach is just the basic cast component motor. You can do a pulley swap and a tune for the Cobra for around $600 and be at 475 to the wheels 560 at the crank and it's safe. The Mach could never do that without having motor troubles eventually. Cobra has nicer seats, nicer wheels compared to those nasty *** ugly Mach wheels.[:'(] On and On and On......... Mach's are nothing more than a Mustang Bullitt with a 96-98 cobra engine plain and simple. ooooohhhh thy havn air induction.....their sooo special.......lol

the automatic mach 1 had a different engine bottom end. it was weaker. my friend had an auto and blew it up because he didnt know that the engines werent built the same as the manual machs. its true. look it up. im just trying to help someone out. if your gonna supercharge a mach better be a manual.

Old 07-15-2008, 12:07 PM
antiv6
5th Gear Member

the car i had before i got my cobra was a mach 1. I think the cobra is better in all areas, better motor and tranny, nicer seats, and way more upgradeable for big power without spending a huge amount of money on motor work
Old 07-15-2008, 12:09 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: RuffCat

the t56 in the cobras 6 speed has the same .62 6th gear as the machs 5th gear (.62), the cobras 5th gear is like .83 or something like that though, but the final drive is the same

and automatic machs dont have a forged crank like the 5 speeds

a cobra will outhandel a mach on a autox or road race, but you need a golf cart behind you picking up IRS peices at a drag strip if you do alot of power with sticky rubber
Old 07-15-2008, 01:34 PM
armada505
1st Gear Member

i found an 03 cobra 28316 miles for 19500, i think this might just eb the one
Old 07-15-2008, 02:19 PM
mfj
Banned

I see a lot of ingorance in this thread, regarding mach 1's.

Firstly, yes the automatic Mach 1 lacks the forged crank that the 5 speed mach 1's have...

But besides that, the cast crank in the autmatic Mach 1 will still out last the rest of the rotating assembly. If your friend's Mach 1's engine blew up, it was either a rod or a piston. Guaranteed the crank would have outlasted the rest of the rotating assembley, despite not being forged.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:20 PM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

and no mach 1's had a forged bottom end...

The mach 1 is good for what it's suppose to, while the CObra is good for what it's suppose to do... the Cobra will make more power easier, however... unlike what the genius above me said.. it doesn't cost "just 600 bucks" to pulley the car.. it's actually cheaper for the pulley/tune, but the supporting mods are a lot more expensive... Once you pulley the car you need several cooling additions, plus your clutch is on limited life.. and once you hit 500rwhp you need a new maf, and/or either a BAP or a new fuel system. ALong with several items that need to be done in the rear suspension...

Unless you have a modded Terminator you have no idea the money it costs... Is it worth it? HELL YES. but don't speak like it's so cheap, when in reality it's really not... well if you do it the right way.

And the pullied Terminator will not beat a bolt on Mach 1 in an autocross unless you have money in the terminator rear end... The IRS in that car is the worst IRS ever built... It doesn't respond worth a damn... and unless you have at the very least some nitto drag tires (that need to be replaced every year) you're not going to move an inch in a pullied or modded Cobra in a race...

I loved my Terminator and spent a hell of a lot of money, and don't regret it. There are no bad feelings - but you really need to know what you're getting into.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:04 PM
armada505
1st Gear Member

so the mach 1 is meant to look good and the cobra is meant to be fast? thats pretty much teh difference im getting from what ppl are saying?

Quick Reply: cobra or mach 1