SVT Forums

My engine just locked?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 05:31 PM
JohnBlu5

Default My engine just locked?

Alright so I've had my 99 cobra for a few years now. couple problems here and there, but just yesterday, it turned off on me and wouldn't turn back on.

Took it to a mechanic, and they told me that my engine completely locked, and cannot be fixed? only solution they gave me was to get a whole new engine and have it swapped. Is this legit? has anyone heard of an "engine locking"? can it really not be fixed, or are they trying to just get me to spend all that money. 6000 for a new engine (including instalation) is almost as much as the damn car is worth. I need to know.

Thanks in advance
Old 07-28-2008, 05:36 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Default RE: My engine just locked?

run through any deep puddles before it shut off? The only thing I can think of is you sucked water into the intake and it hydralocked. Normally requires a ton of engine work/replacement to fix.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:49 PM
JohnBlu5

Damn...that's probably what it was...it was POURING rain when it happened...

but how exactly does it "lock" and why can't it be fixed?

so is it more worthwhile to replace the entire engine? ever place I've talked to, after labor, comes to like 6000 for the procedure.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:26 PM
Tangerine96GT

try ebay for motor or could you use mark viii motor and swap heads/intake?
Old 07-28-2008, 07:10 PM
96CsTaNg

Ok I jsut replaced my engine back in oct. it cost me about 3500. But I also had a friend of mine put the engine in for 900. so if you have a friend thatcan help you out that might be good. Good Luck
Old 07-28-2008, 07:24 PM
Ehmark
3rd Gear Member

If it is hydralocked there is a solution we use at my work for hydralocked jetskis. Pull the plugs and try to crank it over a few times, whatever is in there should come out.Another thing could be a timing chain or valve broke and is stopping it from turning over. Take it apart yourself its cheaper that way.Thats all I could think of for now best of luck.PM me if your engine ends up being toast I collect cylinder heads and intakes lol.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:27 PM
Ehmark
3rd Gear Member

Try and pull it yourself toowith a manual tranmissionits really easy I have pulled my engine in about 4 hrs.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:13 PM
mfj
Banned

People with little mechanical knowledge have NO BUSINESS trying to pull an engine by themselves!

And by the sounds of it, you have VERY LITTLE mechanical knowledge... Don't try it yourself...
Old 07-28-2008, 11:35 PM
Ehmark
3rd Gear Member

Ouch . Dont be so hasty when saying someone doesnt know what they are talking about. Ive pulled 3 mustang engines and done a pi swap twice lol. I admit the first time it took quite a while but after that it got pretty easy because I removed the a/c parts.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:09 AM
mfj
Banned

No Ehmark! LOL! I wasnt talking about you... My bad for not clarifying.... I meant that the original poster didn't sound like he had a lot of mechanical knowledge...

Please don't take offense to my statement, lol, I'm not that hasty!

Quick Reply: My engine just locked?