SVT Forums

Removing engine on 01 Cobra for starters

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 04:44 PM
mahkismahkis2002
1st Gear Member

Default Removing engine on 01 Cobra for starters

I'm trying to remove my engine on an 01 Cobra. I popped the hood and I see a bunch of ****! Where do I start? I know there's motor mounts, how many are there and where are they, and can I get to them from the top? And I pretty much remove every wire that is connecting the engine to the outer portion accessories of the engine bay right?

Lastly, since I am taking my shortblock in to a shop to get machined, should I take out the intake manifold and heads now that its sitting in the engine bay or should I wait to take it out?

Thanks for help!
Old 07-31-2008, 06:35 PM
RuffCat
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Removing engine on 01 Cobra for starters

Unplug the connector on the passengerside firewall. That will seperate the engine from the main harness. Keep everything together until it comes out...much easier on your back. Motor mounts are under headers..one on each side. Steering rack needs to be loosened up and dropped down to remove motor mount bolts..There's a whole lot more too it as well. Good luck
Old 07-31-2008, 06:41 PM
mahkismahkis2002
1st Gear Member

I Should drain the coolant first right?
Old 08-02-2008, 11:41 AM
bugpack28
2nd Gear Member

Drain your coolent your oil and your trans fluid and your ac r 134 and powersteering fluid. The much easier way to pull the engine to me is to go out the bottom of the car. Its only held on by8 bolts(depending if you car in a vert) and your k member comes down and 4 more and your trans comes with it. Start taking off wires as you do that and you will have no prob. If you go out the top of the engine bay you will have problems later on in life if you put on long tubes certain brands wont go back in the car without hitting the transmission bellhousing.
Old 08-02-2008, 11:52 AM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

Ok - this is just a hunch.. but if you're asking on a forum on how to remove an engine - you might want to pay someone to do it for you.

On the other side; i would recommend the haynes or chilton manual. it'll give you step by step instructions.
Old 08-02-2008, 03:39 PM
ddeganich

Nah, good for you trying to do it yourself. Make sure you go very slowly though. My first couple times I had two buddies over for beer. They watched both sides of the engine bay for forgotten/missed connections, and clearance issues. Jack very slowly and keep a close eye all over, you will be fine.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:55 AM
the_camo_snake
2nd Gear Member

While you have everything out might as well get your intake and heads ported or atleast cleaned up. Its a big task you are undertaking and good luck.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:06 PM
mfj
Banned

No, you have NO business attempting this by yourself!!!! A COBRA IS NOT THE CAR TO LEARN THIS STUFF ON!!! You should have learned it on a beater... I feel very sorry for your car already!!

You made a comment to me about being a broke ***, in another thread, but i believe it will be in your best interest to PAY someone to take it out for you...Your opening post on this thread shows how little you know!!!

If your insistent about taking it off yourself, i hope you have guys next to your side, during this whole process, that have some knowledge of removing engines...

and yes, to me, it is much easier lifting the car off the engine/tranny, instead of taking the engine from the top... its actually quite simple with a lift, or a cherry picker...

the very fact that you asked if you had to drain the coolant first, is VERY disturbing..

Poor car....
Old 08-09-2008, 02:43 AM
bugpack28
2nd Gear Member

Hey hey hey... I did my first non volkswagen bug engine pull on my cobra... Came out and went back in just fineeee. It actually only took us 12 hours to put the heads and everything back on the engine then throw it back in the car... Its really not hard at all. You just have to follow directions and everything will be fine!!!
Old 08-09-2008, 03:34 PM
mfj
Banned

Well good for you! want a cookie?

Like I said, I dont think u were asking the forums, if you needed to drain your coolant first, before removing the engine... this KID obviously has NO mechanical knowledge... That fact that you worked on cars, and did other engine swaps yourself, is an advantage to you...

Quick Reply: Removing engine on 01 Cobra for starters