SVT Forums

Termi Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 03:05 PM
mmafan
2nd Gear Member

Default Termi Questions

I very close to buying and 03 Cobra. I was really stocked about it until I was watching Horse Power TV and they said that if your Cobra was made before Nov 1 2002..{which mine was} You might hear a ticking sound under the moter...It is a design flaw that ford recalled...My question is can I take it too the dealership and get that replaced at no charge or is it too late since its an 03? Is this noise going to defenitely going to happen? Or is it just bad luck? Also it is stock...So what should be my 1st mods...Nothing to serious I was thinking smaller pulley and a SCT tune? Thanks Alot!!!!!!!
Old 08-15-2008, 03:38 PM
562cobra
5th Gear Member

mine was born sometime in july 2nd. no issues with the ticking sound. even some of the 04's have some of these issues, i've heard. some of my first mods were: 1. exhaust,
2. short shifter, and 3. lowering springs.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:18 PM
mmafan
2nd Gear Member

Thanks 4 the reply..So it is not an automatic problem that is going to occur? Some have it and some dont? I would like to get some deep dishes....Has anyone had to take their car to the dealership to have them fix this recall personally?
Old 08-15-2008, 05:16 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mmafan
Thanks 4 the reply..So it is not an automatic problem that is going to occur? Some have it and some dont? I would like to get some deep dishes....Has anyone had to take their car to the dealership to have them fix this recall personally?
It is not a automatic problem. My car doesnt have it but I bought the GenII evenflow head cooling mod to prevent it from getting the tick. Its pretty cheap & easy to install. I would rec. that you buy it. Here is the link:

http://www.lethalperformance.com/pag...oling-mod.html
Old 08-15-2008, 05:42 PM
mmafan
2nd Gear Member

I know this sounds really but I have never driven a 03 Cobra before...I have a 97 Cobra but I have no idea where to put that on at? Where does it go? Sorry I'm new at modding thing! Thanks
Old 08-15-2008, 11:15 PM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

The head tick can occur on all 2003-2004 Cobras and Mach 1's.... It's due to a flawed design in the head.

Nobody can get the "fixed heads" for free at anytime, because the head tick doesn't cause any harm to the motor they say; so you have to pay for it pretty much out of pocket from what I understand.

Not all Cobra's face this issue, and typically it happens to people that have prolonged high speed highway runs in overdrive gears.

I wouldn't worry about the tick, just make sure you do your cooling mods, and don't be stupid... if it does happen you have a choice... live with the tick, or replace the heads. Whether the tick occurs or not; it will not affect your performance it's just damn annoying.

For more information see CobraBob's Terminator FAQ's at the link below.

http://stangshiftergaskets.com/2003_...m#_Toc35092459

"Here is a great explanation from Ike (WDW MAKER) on SVTPeformance.com. "The sound is simply a worn valve guide allowing the valve stem to move. This is caused by overheating of the area due to poor coolant flow in the part of the left bank cylinder head. The lack of bronze valve guides in our heads makes them even more susceptible. The Jan05 heads come with revised coolant passages keep the exhaust valve guides cooler. This may also help to keep #7 and #8 cylinders running a bit cooler.

Will running a car with the tick result in some sort of catastrophic failure? Highly doubtful. It's mostly an annoying sound that you have to live with. I'm sure the worn valve guide causes a bit of inefficiency due to blow-by around the seals. I doubt it's enough to notice until it has been run like that for quite a while. I personally wouldn't and didn't want to live with it. Others chose to leave well enough alone and have yet to see any significant issues."

This problem sounds like a light ticking coming from the driver’s side valve cover, and is most noticeable when the car is warm. If you can hear the noise inside the car while idling, you most likely have the problem, otherwise, the ticking you hear is most likely injector noise (normal). The only permanent fix for this issue is installing the latest factory heads, released in January, 2005. The part numbers are:
Left side head
Part # 2C5Z-6049-BAB
Right side head
Part # 2C5Z-6049-CAB

As of 11/10/06 the discount cost of these heads (complete with cams and valve train) is $1,358.00 plus core charges, from FORDSVTPARTS (Steve) on SVTPerformance.com. Steve can be reached by PM on that website, or by E-mail FORDSVTPARTS@HOTMAIL.COM. You can also call him at 1-800-328-9552.

Drivers head $616.00 plus a $150.00 core charge
Passenger head $742.00 plus a $150.00 core charge

Please note that on rare occasion an oil filter can cause a ticking noise. In one case, a Terminator owner had a CarQuest filter installed and immediately heard a ticking noise. He thought if might be the "tick" issue but since it started right after installing the CarQuest filter he thought it could be related to that. Using a stethoscope he pinpointed the noise to coming from the oil filter. He changed to a Mobil 1 filter and the noise disappeared. He reinstalled the CarQuest filter and it came back. I bring this up only as another area to check IF you hear a ticking, before you assume it is the tick issue. Here's the link discussing the oil filter issue. http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...r+noise&page=2
Many ask how they can help prevent the head tick issue from developing in the first place, other than replacing the head(s). Fortunately a few companies offer an inexpensive mod which improves coolant flow to the head. One company, APS (Frank Carter) sells two cooling mod kits that improve coolant flow, which in turns helps to prevent this issue from occurring. For more information, click on the APS Head Cooling Mods link on the upper left menu."
Old 08-16-2008, 08:18 AM
mmafan
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the link about the 03 Cobras...Really good reading material....What exhaust should I go with? I hears borlas are good and magnaflows are too...
Old 08-16-2008, 08:32 AM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

Exhaust is a matter of preference. I like Hpipes personally and liked what I had (which was mac o/r h pipe with flowmaster catback). I like what i have now, same hpipe w/mac catback...

It's all a matter of preference.